Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times

Advertisements

ARTICLE: OSU Planning Full 4-Year Facility At Bend Location · OPB News

I knew it would come, but I'm surprised how quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 04:02 PM

Interesting. No insight on this?

I'm very happy about it. It's a step in the right direction, imo. It's a piece of the pie that will help ground/stabilize our economy, bring jobs, more cultural events and, well, I suppose I just like higher education?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM

Duplicated Post.

Last edited by kapetrich; 04-25-2012 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Duplicated Post

Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
I still don't understand why Oregon needs a brand new 4 year campus when there are 6 other unfocused and/or ailing universities in the state that could be better utilized, including two east of the Cascades (OIT in Klamath Falls and EOU in La Grande).

I'd love to see the regional schools thriving before adding a new four-year campus. Seems like a waste otherwise. In a good economy I'd say awesome, Bend would be a great place for a new campus. A new UO campus somewhere on the coast or in Roseburg or Grants Pass would be great too in a hypothetical world.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
It may be that the existence of engineering programs are essential to build on the technology facilities eyeing the Bend-Redmond area. The unique climate and energy availability in central Oregon is the initial draw, skilled workforce is necessary to keep them there.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It may be that the existence of engineering programs are essential to build on the technology facilities eyeing the Bend-Redmond area. The unique climate and energy availability in central Oregon is the initial draw, skilled workforce is necessary to keep them there.
Good Point. Plus, maybe now the Old Mill District has a better chance of becoming a technology center of some sorts with OSU Cascades there pushing around all that intellectual capital among other capitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I still don't understand why Oregon needs a brand new 4 year campus when there are 6 other unfocused and/or ailing universities in the state that could be better utilized, including two east of the Cascades (OIT in Klamath Falls and EOU in La Grande).
I do agree the State should figure out how to make the other 6 ailing universities in the state more sustainable before adding another venture, BUUUT I have to say: If the Oregon University system, and state for that matter, didn't take advantage of 'Bend' as THE destination then they would be totally inept and really should just throw in the towel. In fact, I'm completely baffled as to why its taken this long (yes, I know there are good reasons why and budgets are a major concern)

A University in Bend would rival Universities in towns like Boulder, Burlington, Asheville and the like. There would be no shortage of students wanting to come study here. Just look at the out of region enrollment at COCC...a COMMUNITY COLLEGE for Gods sake.

Now, places like Klamath Falls and La Grande don't have the same pull obviously, buuuuut this isn't to say those regions shouldn't have access to higher education. It is just a tougher sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I'd love to see the regional schools thriving before adding a new four-year campus. Seems like a waste otherwise. In a good economy I'd say awesome, Bend would be a great place for a new campus. A new UO campus somewhere on the coast or in Roseburg or Grants Pass would be great too in a hypothetical world.
I would too, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I'd venture to say there are MANY reasons why the regional schools aren't thriving...but I'd also submit, that, just because regional schools are ailing does not predict that the OSU Cascade 4-year will have the same fate. I'd argue the exact opposite.

Plus, a recession is a great time to invest in education because not only are we better training the future work force, but it's proven that enrollment increases during downswings in the economy.....this isn't even taking into consideration the fact that it's a cheap(er) time to make these type of investments, which the state should be taking advantage at every turn, much like Bend's Parks and Recreation has over the last few years. If Oregon State University system doesn't take advantage a private venture will, without a doubt.

---
What I don't understand is COCC and that amazing plot of land they're on up there. I can't even keep up with how quickly they're expanding.....Do they plan on turning that area into a 4-year, too? I mean, it's much better equipped in the short, medium and long term(s). How many Community Colleges do you know that have student housing? That draw students from a-far? It's a little ridiculous if you ask me.

Last edited by kapetrich; 05-18-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 02:49 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
OSU has a huge student housing problem. It makes sense to develop programs that can be moved to locations outside of Corvallis.

UW is having the same problems and now has campuses outside of Seattle.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 PM

OSU-Cascades expansion gets $1 million boost. Tykeson Family Trust makes second gift: OSU-Cascades expansion gets $1 million boost | News - Home

Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 AM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
OSU-Cascades expansion gets $1 million boost. Tykeson Family Trust makes second gift: OSU-Cascades expansion gets $1 million boost | News - Home
IMO this is good news for Bend and will help add diversity and expand employment opportunities.

As potential relocators to Bend in a few years we have never been interested in moving to a "College Town"

We like the fact that Bend is not a "College Town" but instead an attractive location for OSU expansion because of what Bend already offers.

Interested in what Bend residence think about this? Positive and negative views.

Last edited by Snownut; 09-27-2012 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
In the original article, the discussion is about 3,000-5,000 students max at the Bend extension - there are currently 15,000 students at COCC, mostly as either 2 yr vo tech or potential transfer students. The OSU extension will likely suck away a good percentage of the transfer students. Either way, Bend isn't on track to become a "college town". Personally, I like a lot of the amenities small college towns offer, although not so much college towns where the students are 50% or more on the inhabitants.

As a Klamath county resident, I think the city and county here do a TERRIBLE job of promoting and backing up OIT and the engineering and medical programs - there have been several attempts over the years to hijack the whole program to Portland and I suspect the hijack will eventually be successful, done on a bit-by-bit basis, a program here and a program there shifting to the Portland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend