Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:34 PM

722 posts, read 1,350,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
I assume your "major city" is not Seattle. You seem to live in a very laid back city!

1) I am learning a few certain sections of streets should be avoided in Bend, due to traffic. My Bendite Bro-in-law is starting to show me the work-arounds to those, that all Bendites learn. Yes, it is surprisingly complex street pattern for such a small city though, I can't argue that. And no, I won't tell you the shortcuts.

2) Speed limits...In Oregon in general are silly slow. But Oregonians rarely seem to reach those speeds anyway. I must train myself in patience. I haven't seen the major crashes yet. Tons of accidents getting in and out of the Seattle area, and only once have I gotten through Portland without getting caught in a major traffic jam due to accidents. Maybe I have been lucky in Bend?

3) you haven't been eating in restaurants in greater Seattle if you think Bend is pricey. But yes, if you go to the latest hip spot, you will be paying for that claim to fame. My Bendite clan has shown me some great food places just a short distance off the beaten path. A couple weekends ago we hit a place that had just converted from a food truck to a store front. We were the only customers. Prices were reasonable for some of the best tasting food I have had in a very long time, at any price.

Bend requires a sense of adventure in all activities...including getting around town and finding restaurants.
would not let me thumbs up on your post.??

have lived here more than a year now and always surprised to read about the traffic complaints? 3rd street is my least favorite area to drive but can usually be avoided with other routes..

at most a trip across or around town takes me 10 to 20 minutes, during busy times it might take 5 or 10 minutes longer then driving at.. say 3am.. where I moved from getting anywhere in 30 minutes or less was considered a great victory and yes sometimes that was just a few miles..

there are several, what I call "tourist" dining spots that do charge more than what I will pay, there are loads of other delicious options and many will give a "locals" discount once you become a regular..

I have no regrets moving here and look forward to many more years exploring and being part of the changes that will continue..

my complaints

road maintenance and budgets too little too late?
the constant bickering and fighting of various groups for every conceivable development/project or change..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:22 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,995,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
I was there about (3) weeks ago and while there were many fires going on, thankfully the smoke didn't effect us in any way. I've been to Bend a few times (always to mountain bike) and have made a few observations of my own....

1) Traffic sucks, not just "for a small town" but in general. I live in in a MAJOR city and I have less traffic on our surface streets here as I move around town. Freeways, when I used to be on them every day, are another story. It was taking me 2-3 light cycles to get thru intersections and the traffic circles were backing up 10-15 cars on a regular basis.

2) The speed limits, especially on 97 & 20, are silly slow yet every time I'm there, there seems to be some major collision closing the highway. Not sure why Oregon feels they need such slow freeway speeds as it's the same in Portland.

3) I know most people who think they are cool and hip will disagree but too many of the restaurants in town go overboard trying to be "trendy" and "funky". People like to be seen at them so they are more than willing to pay double what the same food (actually less food) would cost in other restaurants. 'Chow' is a perfect example of this. Suer popular but we went when the place was 90% empty (early breakfast) and the service was ridiculously slow. My omelette/meal was half the size but double in cost of what I normally pay.
Yeah, traffic really does suck and its getting worse with each passing year.

I hear what you are saying about high priced trendiness in some of the places in town. But I don't think it applies to Chow which has a 'Keep it Local' and 'Farm To Table' philosophy that customers like -‘Farm To Table’ | CHOW Bend, OR

Old 09-04-2015, 05:03 PM

479 posts, read 799,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
I assume your "major city" is not Seattle. You seem to live in a very laid back city!

1) I am learning a few certain sections of streets should be avoided in Bend, due to traffic. My Bendite Bro-in-law is starting to show me the work-arounds to those, that all Bendites learn. Yes, it is surprisingly complex street pattern for such a small city though, I can't argue that. And no, I won't tell you the shortcuts.

2) Speed limits...In Oregon in general are silly slow. But Oregonians rarely seem to reach those speeds anyway. I must train myself in patience. I haven't seen the major crashes yet. Tons of accidents getting in and out of the Seattle area, and only once have I gotten through Portland without getting caught in a major traffic jam due to accidents. Maybe I have been lucky in Bend?

3) you haven't been eating in restaurants in greater Seattle if you think Bend is pricey. But yes, if you go to the latest hip spot, you will be paying for that claim to fame. My Bendite clan has shown me some great food places just a short distance off the beaten path. A couple weekends ago we hit a place that had just converted from a food truck to a store front. We were the only customers. Prices were reasonable for some of the best tasting food I have had in a very long time, at any price.

Bend requires a sense of adventure in all activities...including getting around town and finding restaurants.
No, not Seattle....think WAY south in California. The food issue/pricing is as much my fault as it is Bend's as I allow one of my mountain biker friends to pick the food places too often. He likes the "trendy" places, has no problem paying $4.00 for a cup of coffee and it can't just be a "coffee", it has to be a "half-half, double decaf, triple espresso, whipped, no cream, latte frappachino" type a deal. Can you tell I don't drink coffee either?

Old 09-05-2015, 09:09 AM

722 posts, read 1,350,931 times
Bend wasn't on the list LOL .. but my former home City was #1 worst... now perhaps some empathy when I keep saying how little the traffic issues are for me here in Bend.

10 cities with the worst traffic

Old 09-10-2015, 08:19 PM

10,048 posts, read 7,215,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
would not let me thumbs up on your post.??

have lived here more than a year now and always surprised to read about the traffic complaints? 3rd street is my least favorite area to drive but can usually be avoided with other routes..

at most a trip across or around town takes me 10 to 20 minutes, during busy times it might take 5 or 10 minutes longer then driving at.. say 3am.. where I moved from getting anywhere in 30 minutes or less was considered a great victory and yes sometimes that was just a few miles..

there are several, what I call "tourist" dining spots that do charge more than what I will pay, there are loads of other delicious options and many will give a "locals" discount once you become a regular..

I have no regrets moving here and look forward to many more years exploring and being part of the changes that will continue..

my complaints

road maintenance and budgets too little too late?
the constant bickering and fighting of various groups for every conceivable development/project or change..
YES! That is so annoying. Especially when the complaints are about projects that are a fait accompli.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:09 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,273,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
YES! That is so annoying. Especially when the complaints are about projects that are a fait accompli.
I'll just throw in a third. I couldn't agree more. And I'm not one of those "no opposition" types. Having a rational opposition is both healthy and essential especially in development.

It's extremely frustrating to watch. Strait complaints on projects that are all but fait accompli is a good way to put it, Redguard.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,995,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Especially when the complaints are about projects that are a fait accompli.
One could argue that all projects fit that definition until they meet resistance.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:52 PM

10,048 posts, read 7,215,850 times
The most obvious example is OSU-Cascades. That site where they're currently building was chosen I think in 2012 or 2013. It was not until the past year or so that Truth-in-Site ramped up and tried to use some legal loopholes to stop the project. The entire political leadership of the area is for it, so I don't think there was any stopping it. The location of the college may be of questionable wisdom, but it was already decided well before the controversy. A lot of the opponents argued for Juniper Ridge, but that was ruled out by OSU years ago.

Comprehensive urban planning requires a lot more consensus than Bend currently has. Some people around here seem to want it, but then they don't want to either agree to it or acquiesce the authority to others to do it.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:00 PM

456 posts, read 1,006,110 times
Truth In Site is appealing a City of Bend approval for a site plan for a permitted use. Currently the appeal has reached the Oregon Court of Appeals. Just as OSU Cascades followed the applicable land use law in the site plan application, Truth In Site is doing the same in the appeal process. The land use process is public and transparent.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,081 times
Default Go on vacation leave on probation

Bend Oregon Police assault a person and calls it resisting arrest. Homeless shelter kicks me out for being late after walking on crutches all the way home on a pitch black road. Attorney screams obscenities because he owns the building where I was trying to use the bathroom. Courts don't enforce their own judgments. Children get kidnapped from emergency room and get placed in abusive foster care, 8 yr old gets put in handcuffs by Bend Police. Courts refuse person to enroll in high school, and force person to go with abuser. Police go to high school to interview child without parent knowledge. Basketball coach yells at mom for bringing a doctor note and refuses to let child play in game.

Last edited by Potentiality; 01-16-2016 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: Misspelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend