Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLambert View Post
Anyone out there who lives (or have lived) in Bend, OR who can tell me about the winter weather? My husband and I visited a couple of years ago and have considered it as a possible place to live. Does it really get 300+ days of sun? The reason I'm asking...we lived in Portland, OR for 2 years and the rain/overcast made me CRAZY!. Does Bend have a lot of overcast days like Portland? I've followed the internet weather but would really like some feedback from people who have lived there. Thank you in advance for your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
ALL the internet weather sites, including NOAA (which is the most accurate..), are completely off when predicting weather in Bend on a regular basis. If you go by them, you'd think it was cloudy here in the winter months day in and day out - this is not the case from my experience and I live in Bend.

As for sun:

I believe 300 days of sunshine is an exaggeration for sure. From my research there is about 240-270ish which, to what I was used to -North East-, is an amazing amount of sunshine.

The amount of sunshine (in an objective sense) seems to be relative to where you hail from. Coming from Portland, I believe you'll find Bend to be extremely sunny especially in the winter months.....Buuuut, if you were moving from a place in the sunbelt (Arizona and the like) or Colorado you may find it to be cloudier than you're were used to, but still by no mean cloudy.....imo.

Also, from my limited experience and over-research there seems to be two distinct weather extremes in Bend. You have two months of guaranteed cold/snow -Dec & Jan- and two months of guarantee hot and sunny weather -July & August-. Excluding these 4 months, the temperatures are pretty unpredictable which makes sense at the altitude/proximity to the range.

---

@ Mod: Shouldn't this be relocated to the General Oregon forum.....and maybe we can get a Bend sub-forum some time ;p
Kapetrich has given you some good information and perspective, I'll give you mine. This is my 3rd winter in Bend, and so far this has been the sunniest winter I've experienced here. I moved to Bend from Colorado so I am used to a lot of sun, especially in the winter. From what I have heard from long time locals, this is a bit unusual, especially with the warm temps we have been getting. So while most of the time you can guarantee January will be cold and snowy, it hasn't been this year. Last winter was actually horrible for me. It was overcast and rained a ton.

Bend definitely doesn't get 300 days of sunshine. It's probably closer to 220-240 days of sun (by my Colorado standard, which doesn't actually get 300 days either, it's closer to 270). It really does depend on where you are coming from though. If you've lived in Portland, then yes, you will experience some Portland like weather, but it won't be months of gloom. There will be days and even weeks, but then the sun does come out and refreshes your spirit. For me, it's the combination of the short daylight hours in the winter, and the overcast skies that can throw me into a depressive state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
The truth is that Portland has way better weather the Bend. Please don't listen to the hype about Bend's so-called great sunny, dry Colorado weather. Total Lies!! I was in Bend for 8 months and just couldn't stand the place. While I was in Bend it was cloudy and overcast, with a freezing inversion. I drove over the mountains to Portland and it was blue skies, although crisp and cold. Actually, Bend has more fog and cloudy days than Portland does in the Winter time. The only difference is that Bend snows more and doesn't get the constant drizzle that Portland gets. Also, if you think the brownness of the area has anything to do with lots of sunshine, think again! Actually, the reason Bend is so dry and nothing can grow there is that the soil of the area is highly volcanic and lacking a good amount humus and structure that would promote plant growth. The year I was in Bend, it must have received over 30 inches of rain, yet the ground was as dry, brown and ugly as the peak of summer. Bend, IMO is a cold, deserted wasteland overrun by rich California yuppies. IF you want dry, sunny winters, then please go to Colorado, not Bend!

Even though Bend has a very glorious mountain backdrop in the Summer, the majority of the year the mountains are hidden by the clouds. Even worse, they close Pilot Butte for the majority of the year, so you only get to go drive up there to enjoy the nice view when the mountains lose their snow. OF course, you can always hike up there, but its not that fun on a freezing cold day to do so.

Another thing about Bend is it can snow in the Spring. I moved back to Portland from Bend in early April and it was dumping snow and hail. It was refreshing coming back into Portland with it being 50F with a nice pleasant rain and seeing how green and lush everything was. In Bend you get this slushy nasty snow that hardens, melts and refreezes. Of course, the ground remains brown and dead regardless of all the precipitation!
Forget about Spring flowers in Bend!

By the way, Bend is cloudy for about 8 months of the year.. Don't ever let anyone tell you it's the sunbelt of Oregon! Oregon's so-called sunbelt probably starts somewhere near Pendleton or Boise (oops, not in Oregon!). Please don't deceive yourself! If it is cloudy in Portland, it is cloudy in Bend. Check the weather reports. Even worse, Bend is prone to frequent winter inversions and will be fogged in many times when Portland is sunny.

Please Don't Laugh, many will make fun of this guy, but I really think he really is dead-on in regards to his Bend weather reports. Actually, I agree with a lot of his blog:
Bend Sux

I have lived in Oregon for appx 20 years, so I think I am a good source on Oregon weather, considering I have lived all over the state.
Mr.SmithW, Please back up your bogus claims with anything from a factual data base. I too have lived in Oregon all of my adult life (20+ years) and this post isn't even close to accurate. From stating opinion as fact (i.e. - "Portland has way better weather"), to not accurate (PLEASE site your resource to claim Bend "must have received over 30 inches of rain"), to just not knowing what you're talking about.

The truth is volcanic soil is generally pretty fertile. The vegetation in Bend looks different because the average annual rainfall is only 11.7 inches (imwx.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USOR0031, BEND, OREGON - Climate Summary). I looked and can't find any record of Bend coming even remotely close to 30 inches of rain in a year. Some of us don't mind the cold and would prefer to live someplace that gets more snow. And to some of us, a combination of blue skies, Ponderosa pines, and brown grasses (OR better yet, white snow) is a lot more appealing than overcast skies, wet pavement, mud, and various shades of green.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 PM

17 posts, read 42,359 times
Just wanted to add that while everyone on here is talking about how wonderful the middle to the end of January has been, it has been beyond warmer than average for Bend. Please do not forget that October, November and December were very cold and snowy this season while other parts of the country like the northeast and midwest were very warm. I just looked at the forecast on AccuWeather.com and starting the first of February, snow everyday with lows of 10 to 15 degrees. More of what Bend is used to getting.

Actually having this nice two week break is kinda scary, just means that we are pushing the inevitable back some. It will snow and be cold again, just means that January was extremely above normal.

I also wanted to add that I personally love the weather here, I love cold and snow. I think that people hear one thing and its black and white to most people. In most parts of the country cold means cold and warm/hot means warm/hot. Bend sits (almost like a front range city, say Boulder, almost identical) right next to the Cascades. Weather will vary drastically from day to day. That is why averages are so important in a place like this. In the winter Bend can have a high of 5 degrees with a low of -15 and then a week later be in the 50's. That is a mountain/front range type of climate. Denver is the same way, although Denver averages warmer daytime temps. So on average Bend will have a yearly high average of 59 degrees and a low average for the whole year of 32, FREEZING, for a yearly average temp of 45. That is colder than Chicago, New York and exactly even to Minneapolis. Of course some of those cities will have more sub zero days and more snow, BUT on average they are warmer than we are on a year round basis.

Just a few facts!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Mr.SmithW, Please back up your bogus claims with anything from a factual data base. I too have lived in Oregon all of my adult life (20+ years) and this post isn't even close to accurate. From stating opinion as fact (i.e. - "Portland has way better weather"), to not accurate (PLEASE site your resource to claim Bend "must have received over 30 inches of rain"), to just not knowing what you're talking about.
Thanks for supporting me in pointing this out.

---
Today in Bend is was 100% sunny without a cloud in the sky. The temperatures were very warm, for the time of year, and yes, this month has definitely been an aberration for January - The town and mountain are a little puzzled.....but, everyone knows the cold weather HAS to come back and looks like from Cascade4567's research it's on its way! Hooray for more snow on the mountain and in Bend!!!! We NEED it.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Weather update: March was definitely a cloudy month here in Bend. There is not lie about that. The sun did come out, but not too often and when it did, not many times for a full day. For some reason, though, when it is cloudy/cold coupled with snow (which it was on many days), it doesn't get to me at all. The cloudy, rainy, warm-ish (above 40's) days are the ones I can't stand......Thank god it was semi-cold!

The plus to this weather pattern was that the mountain had an amazing month. Tons of snow, low temperatures and great ridding. Anyone get to enjoy it with me!?!?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
I like the cold and the snow in the beginning of winter, but by late Feb I'm tired of it and by late March I'm definitely sick of it. Today is 65 and clear, yay!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM

49 posts, read 93,327 times
Post Weather in Bend

Does the city of Bend get Thunderstorms?

Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 PM

86 posts, read 266,350 times
Yes.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:56 AM

11 posts, read 30,365 times
I'm also curios about the weather in bend. I have never lived in an area even resembling a desert and was curious how the night time temps were during the summer hours? and how would you describe the heat in the summer? - as in dry, humid, and/or obviously hot lol

Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Dry heat in the summer, and it feels even dryer because of the altitude. Get used to staying hydrated. You can dry out before you know it. After sunset it cools off rapidly. It may not be as hot as you think during the day. Wear sunscreen, a straw hat and sunglasses. Farm and ranch stores have very attractive straw hats, you don't have to look like a hayseed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend