Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:18 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,754 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, they announced to no surprise that Colorado experienced the hottest July on record. I have been comparing temps with Bend all summer and wish we were there already! (couple of years to go)

Has it been what you would consider normal in Bend this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:52 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Yesterday, they announced to no surprise that Colorado experienced the hottest July on record. I have been comparing temps with Bend all summer and wish we were there already! (couple of years to go)
Funny because one of the PNW weather blogs (yeah...I like the weather ) I check just did a story on this:
Hottest July in US's weather history:

Full article: Hottest July In USA’s Weather History « FOX 12 Weather Blog

Another good PNW weather blog: Cliff Mass Weather Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Has it been what you would consider normal in Bend this year?
I'm only two years new, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but the last few weeks seem a bit warmer than usual. We've been in the upper 80's/barely reaching 90 ~every day and lows only sometimes dipping into the upper 40's (last night was great, though). I actually ALMOST posted last week how we were having Colorado Front Range weather lately albeit still cooler especially at night .

Also, this year compared to last, we seem to be having more threat of thunderstorms. Not often at all, but just compared to last year in Bend.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:58 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times
This summer seems pretty normal from my minimal time in Bend (this is my 5th summer here). Last year was a pretty cool summer overall compared with the others I've spent here. Even though it's been relatively warm here, we still haven't broken the 100° mark, which many old timers claim used to happen quite a bit. The first summer I lived here (2008), we had a week that was really hot, broke 100° a few times. But, in the last 4 years I don't think we've broken that mark. Compared with the Front Range this year, Bend seems pretty mild!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,968 times
Sounds strange, but now I'm used to Bends ridiculously mild and perfect summers I can't wait to get rid of the heat.....

I have a hard time keeping hydrated when I actually exercise in a meaningful way and the oppressive sun burns my skin in literally 20 mins - I'm strawberry blonde, it's my plight .

The whole 'lazy summer' where you go to a lake and drink a beer or float the river gets boring to me pretty quick. I mean, I mountain bike, run the rivers, trail run, etc.....but I don't know. It just gets old..... I do love camping any time I want without worrying about freezing though!

'NEVER SUMMER!' (I'm not a snowboarder, but I like the sentiment)

Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,236 times
One of the reasons I am visiting and interested in relocating to Bend is for the weather.

As a firm believer that the climate is warming quickly I will not be moving south and do not like the weather here on the east coast. There is certainly no way to know for sure yet in 5-10 years Bend will likely be warmer and cloudier? There should still be an abundance of moisture close by in the mountains and likely less snow and more rain (: ?

Looking at the weather ( record heat / droughts / fires / flash floods / severe storms ) in most places in the USA Bend seems like a reasonable option to ride out the warming? No doubt many more summers like we have had here in VA this year and Bend looks like a good choice. Particularly for someone like me who has never liked the heat.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
One of the reasons I am visiting and interested in relocating to Bend is for the weather.

As a firm believer that the climate is warming quickly I will not be moving south and do not like the weather here on the east coast. There is certainly no way to know for sure yet in 5-10 years Bend will likely be warmer and cloudier? There should still be an abundance of moisture close by in the mountains and likely less snow and more rain (: ?

Looking at the weather ( record heat / droughts / fires / flash floods / severe storms ) in most places in the USA Bend seems like a reasonable option to ride out the warming? No doubt many more summers like we have had here in VA this year and Bend looks like a good choice. Particularly for someone like me who has never liked the heat.

Can't agree more, we have already bought our property just waiting to retire and start building......

Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Geologists: Newberry Volcano is still a threat

Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM

480 posts, read 2,465,847 times
This summer seems pretty normal for Bend. We always have some days that hover at the 100 mark, and in July and August, some days in the 90s, but what makes even the hottest day tolerable is that it cools off at night. Walking my dog at 8 p.m. last night, it was simply gorgeous

Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
This summer seems pretty normal for Bend. We always have some days that hover at the 100 mark, and in July and August, some days in the 90s, but what makes even the hottest day tolerable is that it cools off at night. Walking my dog at 8 p.m. last night, it was simply gorgeous
I agree! Even when it's super hot here in town it's not miserable. Of course, the biggest problem with the string of hot days is the fire risk. The smoke in town right now is my biggest complaint. It's certainly not bad enough for me to close up the windows, but there has been a handful of times where that was the case. For those of us without air conditioning (which is most people in Bend), that's when it's hard.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,236 times
So after my lovely vacation in "Beautiful Bend" it has been "okay" weather here in VA but still too warm and humid for my liking, particularly at night. Briefly into the high 50's here last night.

I now see there is a freeze warning for Bend tonight and would really like to find out if it actually does freeze there tonight ?

From my observation looking at weather stations most nights in Bend lately (and even while we were there) were not as cool as forecast which is why I am curious about tonight.

Saw many small raised bed gardens scattered about in Old Bend last week and they looked to be growing okay. Hopefully there is no freeze tonight? I do know frosts and freezes can happen anytime of the year in Bend just wondering if that is every summer or if there are some times 3 months straight without frosts or freezes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend