Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:03 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,393 times

Advertisements

Made the move from Georgia finally. Got here dec. 4th. Managed to get a part time job and living in a motel. Weekly pay barely covers rent. My gf in redmond helps me out with food. I ride a bike to work and back. About 3miles each way. Here I am almost un feb. With not a hint of finding a full time or second part time with tons of apps out there. Even signed up with the work source with no luck. So it seems bend has defeated me and my options running out. I may have to or will have to move on to Portland or Seattle. Depending on which I can find a good job first.

That's my story, wanted to share it with those wanting to move here thinking the are ammune to bends high unemployment rate like I did. It is nice here. But may have to say goodbye to bend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
I'm sorry to hear this. Of course, to be fair, there were plenty of warnings given to you about moving to Bend without a job. I think you realize this and just wanted to share your story. Unfortunately it's the reality for many people right now.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
Made the move from Georgia finally. Got here dec. 4th. Managed to get a part time job and living in a motel. Weekly pay barely covers rent. My gf in redmond helps me out with food. I ride a bike to work and back. About 3miles each way. Here I am almost un feb. With not a hint of finding a full time or second part time with tons of apps out there. Even signed up with the work source with no luck. So it seems bend has defeated me and my options running out. I may have to or will have to move on to Portland or Seattle. Depending on which I can find a good job first.

That's my story, wanted to share it with those wanting to move here thinking the are ammune to bends high unemployment rate like I did. It is nice here. But may have to say goodbye to bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I'm sorry to hear this. Of course, to be fair, there were plenty of warnings given to you about moving to Bend without a job. I think you realize this and just wanted to share your story. Unfortunately it's the reality for many people right now.
We tried to tell you and the other dozen "It won't happen to me" types that come here looking for utopia. If you are not doing well where you are, don't expect to do any better here. If you have not found a job carved in stone, there is no reason to move. That is from anywhere to anywhere.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,348 times
Environments / locations can nurture and inspire yet observing my life and others I believe this:

If you are having troubles / challenges with relationships, job, finances, diet, exercise, etc... moving to a new place or getting a new relationship will not fix the issue, you carry certain qualities inside that are not easy to change.

Moving will not do it.

Conversely is you are doing well in any of the things listed above you will likely be fine in a new place.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times
But at least you had the courage to try, give yourself credit for that. Maybe if you can find a job somewhere not too far away, and then keep trying for something in Bend. The best time to find a job, is when you have one...

Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
2 months in a new location is not nearly long enough to get established. Which is why in each and every state forum, people who wish to move into that state are advised to have many months worth of living expenses set aside to support themselves while they find a job.

In Bend, where the economy is doing poorly and almost all jobs are tourist industry related and minimum wage, it would be very good luck indeed to move to Bend with no assets and no job skills and land on your feet.

Motels are very expensive. If you are going to give it longer, consider trying to find a room in a private house, or a roommate situation to cut your rent expenses. Because it a a college town, there are a lot of houses full of roommates.

What sort of work are you qualified to do? Maybe someone who lives here would know of a place to apply.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
2 months in a new location is not nearly long enough to get established. Which is why in each and every state forum, people who wish to move into that state are advised to have many months worth of living expenses set aside to support themselves while they find a job.

In Bend, where the economy is doing poorly and almost all jobs are tourist industry related and minimum wage, it would be very good luck indeed to move to Bend with no assets and no job skills and land on your feet.

Motels are very expensive. If you are going to give it longer, consider trying to find a room in a private house, or a roommate situation to cut your rent expenses. Because it a a college town, there are a lot of houses full of roommates.

What sort of work are you qualified to do? Maybe someone who lives here would know of a place to apply.
This is exactly how I feel.

Why not move in with you GF? I know you're without a car, is that the reason why? Maybe move in with her, get set up in Redmond and work your way together to Bend if you really want to be here.

That or just rent a room like woodsmoke said. Hotels, even long term cheap one, are SO draining to your funds....

Old 01-26-2013, 04:40 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Bend is NOT a college town, despite COCC and the potential expansion of OSU there. Klamath Falls is not a college town, despite OIT. Eugene, Corvallis and Chico, Ca are college towns, where full-time resident college students make up a substantial proportion of the population.

That said, roommates working in the hospitality and outdoor recreation industries should be easy to find.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Bend is NOT a college town, despite COCC and the potential expansion of OSU there. Klamath Falls is not a college town, despite OIT. Eugene, Corvallis and Chico, Ca are college towns, where full-time resident college students make up a substantial proportion of the population.

That said, roommates working in the hospitality and outdoor recreation industries should be easy to find.
Completely agree. I forgot he wrote that portion. I totally agree with woodsmoke save for Bend being a college town......big reason I moved here is because it ISN'T a college town

Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM

122 posts, read 337,489 times
I had to quit a plum job in Bend, I'm allergic to something around there. Was alright until the first thaw of Spring. Then I thought I was going to die, so quit the job and headed out to see the ocean if only I had another week to live. Soon as I topped the hill over Sisters my sinus cleared up, I could breath again,, I was alive and going to go on living!!

I hold my nose whenever I have to travel through central Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend