Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM

150 posts, read 215,320 times

Advertisements

I guess it's all in perspective to what each individual believes. Being in the car cleaning industry, I have learned to not discriminate and just get the cars cleaned. People will always have differing opinions on the same topic, and from what I have learned about Bend, it sounds like this is a little more accepted. Both here and other places, I have heard the terms "live and let live" to be very much the way many people in Bend live. I really look forward to this type of accepting, and laid back, environment that it sounds like Bend has if this eventual move goes through for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darnselfly View Post
As a current SoCal resident considering an eventual move to Bend, reading this makes me very happy! I could do without all the ego-cars. (I drive a Prius and the DH has a hybrid Camry.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
And you don't think all those hybrids with there huge carbon footprint are not Ego Driven? Now that is funny.
Nothing like moving the "carbon footprint" further down the line to justify hypocrisy.
I visited Bend last April, I was there overnight and saw BMW's, Audi's, Porsche's, Range Rover's etc., and lets not forget the dealership's. Whoever claims "ego car's" (of course QUALITY never enters the remark) are nonexistent there, is kidding themselves. A quality AWD/4WD vehicle is going to sell there as is evident by the dealership's in business there. Luxury cars sell anywhere there are people who can afford and desire such things, it is common knowledge that there is no shortage of money in Bend.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:46 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Many things people buy (way beyond cars) are connected to ego and that goes for hybrids, "luxury cars" and everything in between.

How about living life comfortable with what you have and value? Then if your neighbors chooses differently accept that too, even if you don't like it or understand the choice.

Debating "carbon footprints" will only inflate the competing egos as I see it....

A lifetime of events, education and experiences shapes our choices. Trying to place "our life knowledge and values" onto someone else's "life knowledge and values" never moves or changes anyone.

Greener_Pastures is spot on "don't discriminate just clean the cars" sounds like the type of person I'd enjoy being around or having as a neighbor.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I was there overnight and saw BMW's, Audi's, Porsche's, Range Rover's etc., and lets not forget the dealership's. Whoever claims "ego car's" (of course QUALITY never enters the remark) are nonexistent there, is kidding themselves. A quality AWD/4WD vehicle is going to sell there as is evident by the dealership's in business there. Luxury cars sell anywhere there are people who can afford and desire such things, it is common knowledge that there is no shortage of money in Bend.
I would agree with this bit. Less, say, than other more afluent parts of the country, but we do have plenty.

Plenty of hybrids too.

You see more of an influx of high end viehicles during holiday weeks/weekend obviously. This Presidents weekend was a good example. I went to Safeway this Sunday, on the westside, just after the mountain stopped spinner their lifts. The cars I saw were definitely a bit out of the ordinary with plates from all over. Just based on the car demographics, I felt like I was in a place like Del Mar (S. California) rather than every day Bend.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 AM

150 posts, read 215,320 times
Thanks for the continued responses from everyone, it really helps to hear about things in Bend, even if some people's perspectives are a little different than others. Just like any other city out there, it sounds like there are people from all walks of life who value things differently, and because of this, I believe detailing may very well work there.

So, I went ahead and took the advice of many in here and did some research of my own on the detailing market in Bend and it sounds like there are a few detailers there (even a couple small mobile shops like myself). The biggest was definitely at the Porsche dealership (which by the way, I was surprised there even was a Porsche dealership there after reading on here that most people just drive dirty trucks), but after talking with a few detailers there, it sounds like there should be possibilities in the market especially during the months once it starts getting over 45 degrees. If we do end up moving, I'll probably look to get some sort of part time job to help supplement the income while I get things up and running and attract new customers and to help in the colder months.

I know there are plenty of threads on here regarding jobs in different areas, but I haven't seen much about the job market for things like restaurants or coffee shops. I have years of experience in both, and was curious if these types if places (specifically Starbucks) does much hiring, as around here there seems to be a lot of turnover in such areas, is it similar there at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Greener_Pastures is spot on "don't discriminate just clean the cars" sounds like the type of person I'd enjoy being around or having as a neighbor.
Thanks for the compliment Snownut, maybe one day both of us will be living in Bend and our paths will cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: