Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 12,575 times

Advertisements

That was not an argument for your position, Steve. Exactly the opposite.

Fairly positive you're arguing against yourself at this point.

If I was 'investing' in property and I bought a house or two last January and that same house when sold was worth ~15% more this January.....I'm not sure how that could EVER be labeled as a 'bad' investment within that year.

Last edited by Room to Stand; 03-05-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkooistra View Post
Do you live in Bend Steve? I think your projections are crazy and so would anyone else who moved here. I have lived in LA, PHX, WA. and now Bend and I can tell you WE LOVE BEND! And so does every other young family that we meet. I am not sure where you are drawing your information, but I have to respectfully say that it is very inaccurate. Even when the housing market CRASHED in Bend... people did not flee the city. Now the housing market is recovering at a rapid rate (try to buy a house here and you will find out how strong) and people are moving here all the time. The rate of people moving to Bend is far outnumbering the houses available on the market and that is going to cause prices to raise dramatically until they can add to the inventory of homes.

One example is our realtor has a person who is looking to move here from Seattle and so far they have been outbid on homes 12 times! And my parents have been looking for a home and every home they find has multiple offers within days of going on the market.
Sounds like your area is seeing some good activity. We are experiencing the same thing here. It's not what we'd refer to as strong but it's getting better. Brand new construction going on and that's an even better sign! The majority of foreclosures are gone now and short sales are at a minimum. Hoping the worst is behind us - and you too

Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Sounds like your area is seeing some good activity. We are experiencing the same thing here. It's not what we'd refer to as strong but it's getting better. Brand new construction going on and that's an even better sign! The majority of foreclosures are gone now and short sales are at a minimum. Hoping the worst is behind us - and you too
I heard a story on NPR this morning in which some head of a national lumber trade organization commented that lumber orders are way up (13% last year and on track to beat that this year) because of strong building activity nationwide. Of course, some areas are doing better than others. But I do know there was a small custom house listed on the Bend MLS - it hadn't been built yet, but the lot + house to be built was listed and the plans were shown online. If I were ready to move I might have checked it out. But it was gone in a week.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I heard a story on NPR this morning in which some head of a national lumber trade organization commented that lumber orders are way up (13% last year and on track to beat that this year) because of strong building activity nationwide. Of course, some areas are doing better than others. But I do know there was a small custom house listed on the Bend MLS - it hadn't been built yet, but the lot + house to be built was listed and the plans were shown online. If I were ready to move I might have checked it out. But it was gone in a week.

I am willing to bet that hurricane Sandy has more to do with materials demand than housing starts in general, not to mention the rebuilding that is still happening in Louisiana after hurricane Katrina. I have to agree, generaly speaking, that the housing market in Bend and other areas that I have been watching is picking up over the course of the last 12-18 months. I hope the opportunity for a good value is still present when/if I and my wife get there.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I am willing to bet that hurricane Sandy has more to do with materials demand than housing starts in general, not to mention the rebuilding that is still happening in Louisiana after hurricane Katrina. I have to agree, generaly speaking, that the housing market in Bend and other areas that I have been watching is picking up over the course of the last 12-18 months. I hope the opportunity for a good value is still present when/if I and my wife get there.
That's a good point, AK, and one that wasn't mentioned during the interview, but it does make a lot of sense. Without knowing the pace of sales on a quarterly basis, it's harder to say how much of the upturn is due to rebuilding and how much is due to new building.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:03 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
If you bought a house in Bend ten years ago at top dollar, you're probably still reeling from the bubble burst, and still not too optimistic about Bend's future.

If you bought a house in Bend a year or two at rock bottom prices, you are probably getting giddy with the slight upturn in real estate prices, seeing your equity growing.

Depends on your perspective.

I see Bend as a place that's totally dependant on people that have money and don't require a job to live there, or tourists.
If this dries up, the town will dry up.

Everybody else is just making a living feeding off each other with service jobs.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
If you bought a house in Bend ten years ago at top dollar, you're probably still reeling from the bubble burst, and still not too optimistic about Bend's future.

If you bought a house in Bend a year or two at rock bottom prices, you are probably getting giddy with the slight upturn in real estate prices, seeing your equity growing.

Depends on your perspective.

I see Bend as a place that's totally dependant on people that have money and don't require a job to live there, or tourists.
If this dries up, the town will dry up.

Everybody else is just making a living feeding off each other with service jobs.
Somewhat. My husband & I moved to Bend in 2008 and bought our house in 2009. We didn't buy at rock bottom but we didn't buy at the height of the market either. We live very comfortably. We panicked a bit when the housing prices crashed, think we over paid for our home. But then, prices started creeping back up. We could probably break even now if we had to sell. That is a good thing!

We don't work in the service industry. We are not retired. My husband is a nurse and I'm building my own small business. While the economy, in general, does depend quite a bit on tourism and retirees, we are holding our own. Could we live in this place without them, probably not? But, we have survived one of the worst economic downturns this country has faced. And, neither of us are competing for service jobs. For that, I'm pretty happy!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Good for you!

I always like to hear a success story!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
I'm a pretty good 'Move to Bend during the great recession" success story too, pdxMIKEpdx. I moved here with two friends 2.5 years ago. We were all able to land salaried/benefited jobs within 2months (two of us had fulltime employment within two weeks). That said, none of our jobs were in our 'field of study' or what we were doing back east, but we were looking for ANYTHING that salaried/benifited which cast our net really wide. My situation is a bit different than my roommates, but we are all doing very well and none of us are living, necessarily, paycheck to paycheck. We all feel very fortunate considering how truly difficult the job market is here.

Both of my friends are now currently looking to buy houses in Bend.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-13-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
This morning the President of Lennar homes said there is no doubt we are in the midst of a housing recovery. Bend just can't be exempt. Lets just hope it is a more balanced growth this time. I think some of the new Lending practices will help that, but I have heard some adds for what it seems like less than solid procatices already. Do you think it will get back to being too easy for marginally qualified people to get loans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend