Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
According to the "about me" text on the blog the author has been here for 25 years. Unlikely that he was pulled in by the 300 days of sunshine stat.
Then the creator of that website is even more ridiculous than I first thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 01:09 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Why is it when we get a system for a week of cooler weather that suddenly it is time to complain? That's how weather works, no? This spring has been the warmest and sunniest of my 3 years here. Enjoy it. For someone like me, I could just as easily complain about how too warm and sunny our spring has been this year - which it has been for my taste - but who cares....adapt. It's weather, it's a grab bag.....that's life.

Bendsux.com is just funny and, if you read between the lines well enough, shows you a disgruntled individual who is unhappy with what they THOUGHT Bend would be like and/or what they WANT Bend to be rather that what Bend IS. Life, no matter where this individual chooses to relocate to, will be tough.....

Bend is in the PNW so we get the PNW weather patters albeit VERY MUCH tempered by the Cascades rain shadow effect - dependable 100% summer weather begins early July. This is a fact of life in this region. No two ways about it.

Do better research.
This is my 10th summer in La Pine and I have to agree with every word you wrote!

Summer starts the first week of July and lasts a couple months. Personally, I would rather have these cool, cloudy, maybe-if-we-get-lucky rain showers than hot, dry, windless days.
I would much rather bundle up than have to sit in front of two fans with a spray bottle of water for my evaporated cooler.

I'm not much of a complainer of weather. I actually like the changes we have here. After 30 years of constant sunshine in Phoenix, AZ, I am thrilled with what Oregon weather offers.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I, for one, like this cooler weather.
We haven't surpassed 72 yet up here this summer. That's pretty normal for the Olympic Peninsula. Funny thing is, I lived with quite a few 100+ degree summer days before moving here, and now I find it uncomfortable to work in my yard when it's over 65. My neighbor bestowed "honorary PNW native" status on me last week.

I'll be visiting Bend in mid-July, and I'm sure it will seem kind of warm to me.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Personally, I would rather have these cool, cloudy, maybe-if-we-get-lucky rain showers than hot, dry, windless days.
If you enjoy cooler weather then you picked a good place to live! Summer is fleeting for sure.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:46 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,607 times
I am so with you on that, I am imagining it is humid where you live now?

yesterday I went out at 8:30 am to mow the grass here in VA with the temperatures in the mid 60's.. 20 minutes later job complete and I am drenched in sweat... I am ready for the desert... sooner the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
We haven't surpassed 72 yet up here this summer. That's pretty normal for the Olympic Peninsula. Funny thing is, I lived with quite a few 100+ degree summer days before moving here, and now I find it uncomfortable to work in my yard when it's over 65. My neighbor bestowed "honorary PNW native" status on me last week.

I'll be visiting Bend in mid-July, and I'm sure it will seem kind of warm to me.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,374 times
As long as you enjoy the longer winter it is a great trade. But I wish we had an extra month of sunny warm weather to balance things out. A few more sunny days in the winter would be welcome too. Especially up at the mountain.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I am so with you on that, I am imagining it is humid where you live now?

yesterday I went out at 8:30 am to mow the grass here in VA with the temperatures in the mid 60's.. 20 minutes later job complete and I am drenched in sweat... I am ready for the desert... sooner the better.
I live in the rainshadow of the Olympics, so we only get about 18" of rain a year, but it IS damp often. I grew up in MD and this is nothing like east coast humidity, but I've just gotten so acclimated to the cooler weather than it seems warm to me when it really isn't.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
We've had about a week of cloudy weather, with quite a bit of rain for the area. Temperatures aren't bad save for a few nights over the weekend. I was camping at a music festival in Tumalo and it got downright cold Thursday and Friday night. I had to sleep in full long underwear, wool socks and a wool hat. At least we didn't get much rain over the weekend, and Saturday was beautiful. Looks like we have another day of this weather and then sunshine and heat are moving in. I'm ready for summer to start. It is almost July, so looks like we are right on schedule!

To be fair, this winter and this spring was very mild and pleasant overall. Usually I'm sick of the rainy, cool weather by now, but this year it hasn't bothered me much. Maybe I'm acclimating too, ha!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,607 times
According to the NWS the cloudy chilly weather is going to abruptly change to hot summer conditions

." Extended period of very hot weather beginning late this week
with near record high temperatures by first of next week...

A ridge of high pressure will build over the Great Basin then push
into the Pacific northwest this coming weekend and continue into
next week. As the high pressure amplifies over the region it will
bring increasingly hotter temperatures to the forecast area.
Temperatures in the lower Columbia Basin will be in the mid to
upper 90s this weekend then are expected to rise to 100 to 110
degrees Monday and Tuesday. Temperatures in the mountains are
expected to climb into the upper 80s and 90s by the first of next
week.

Confidence of the hotter weather occurring is increasing as
successive computer model runs continue to indicate this strong
ridge of high pressure building over the Pacific northwest.

This type of hot weather conditions over a prolonged period of
time can increase the chance of heat related illness. Individuals
are encouraged to start planning for these conditions as they
prepare for weekend activities or when working outside.

The consideration for issuing heat advisories will occur as the
event draws closer. Monitor NOAA Weather Radio or your local media
for the latest updates on this developing situation."

Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,702 times
We were there last week looking at houses and had sun, wind, rain and hail. I told the realtor she was trying to scare us away. I'd rather have the cool temps though, instead of the 90s and triple digits elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend