Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM

77 posts, read 143,424 times

Advertisements

We were there a few weeks ago and had a lot of damsel flies land on us but that was it. I'm sure others have been up more recently and can comment on the bug issue.

On your way up are a few places worthy of a stop: the obsidian flow on the right (when you walk up, take the left path at the fork for a more stunning exposure to the obsidian); and the waterfall on the right on your way down. In case you haven't seen those areas yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Any thoughts on mosquitoes there?
Bring spray just in case.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,527 times
Looks like I didn't pick the hottest week of the year. Enjoy Snownut!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Looks like I didn't pick the hottest week of the year. Enjoy Snownut!!!!!!
Ha ha, so true it is hot, yet still so different from VA.

Going out on East lake this afternoon so it should be lovely.

Weekend and next week look spectacular.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
It was in the mid-90s when I was there earlier in the week, but even though it rarely breaks 72 where I live, the dry heat was easy to take. I did a couple 5-miles hikes there in the middle of the day, and other than a little sunburn, survived just fine. Like the heat in the Central Valley of California where I once lived, it's a dry heat. Your sweat actually can evaporate and cool your skin, unlike back east where I grew up and you never really dry off after you take a shower in the summer.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:45 PM

After long delays at the Denver airport I am home from a great trip to the Bend area.

I am so ready to live in a mostly dry cool / cold place after 45 plus years in the MA.

The teenagers liked Bend but don't understand my attraction to the desert. I said "can't you see all the colors and textures of the landscape?" They said "looks brown to us". I love the openness of the high desert, the wide and variable climates and vegetation just 20-40 minutes from Bend and of course all the outdoor activities that are mostly not "dampened" by rainy weather. (Funny I see it is raining on the Bend webcam today) At least it is in the 50's there, it was 70 and raining here when we landed at 4:30 am EST this morning.

We are in the loan process to buy a Condo in Bend so our trips there should become more frequent over the next year.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Good Luck Snownut,
Hope the loan goes smoothly.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 PM

Eye on Bed Cams look sunny today August 4th yet hazy.

Is there smoke around? Did not think there were any fires close by?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
I just got back into town yesterday after a wonderful 10 day vacation to WA, CA & Eastern OR. It was hazy as we drove in and I discovered there's a fire burning outside of Sisters. Green Ridge Fire still growing, now 530 acres | Fire Alert - Home

We decided this trip was the vacation of forest fires! On our way up to WA, we encountered smoke from the fire burning in Warm Springs, had to take a 2 hour detour in WA because Hwy. 97 was closed due to a fire, and a fire broke out just a few miles NW of the Gorge Amphitheater on the 2nd day of the concert we were seeing, filling it will heavy smoke. Then we traveled down to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite, and a fire was burning in Mammoth Lakes, filling Yosemite with smoke and haze. We arrived home to more smoke and fire. Tis the season here in the west though!

On the plus side of all this heat, my garden exploded! I have several 7+ pound zucchinis, about a dozen ripe tomatoes, and a bunch of strawberries and raspberries!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Sounds like if your muffler wasn't dragging maybe you would not have caused fires in 4 states!

Yeah My Garden exploded too while I was in Bend, but then the Hail completely took it out last saturday night. (again)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend