Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 11,923 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am about to set up all of the utilities for our new house. Our real estate office has listings of all of the utilities but it appears that there are two of most of them. Are the Bend utilities split geographically or do you have a choice? If there is a choice are there any to stay away from or any to definitely use?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Snowflake View Post
Hello,
I am about to set up all of the utilities for our new house. Our real estate office has listings of all of the utilities but it appears that there are two of most of them. Are the Bend utilities split geographically or do you have a choice? If there is a choice are there any to stay away from or any to definitely use?
Thanks so much!
I'm pretty sure they are split up geographically. All you need to do is call and give your property address and you'll find out which companies cover your home. The only utilities you may have a choice with would be Internet/cable/phone, but even so, not all areas have more than one provider.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:49 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Just about the only utility where you can chose from several is internet / TV. There are lots of internet companies and a couple of different options for the telly.

Pacific Power is the electricity for just about everyone. The Co-op is basically just for farms.

Trash, just call and if you are not in their territory, they will tell you which company.

Your water company should have been stated on the listing for the property you bought. There are several water companies, but each has their own territory. You don't get to choose. By the way, everyone working at every water company is nice to talk to. Don't hesitate to call.

Cascade Natural Gas is the only natural gas company, as far as I know, and they only serve areas inside the Bend city limits. For propane, you deal with whatever company owns the tank.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:51 PM

I feel that I should add, that with a decent set of rabbit ears, you will get plenty of free TV. Unless you are a TV junky, there is no real need for cable or satellite TV.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I feel that I should add, that with a decent set of rabbit ears, you will get plenty of free TV. Unless you are a TV junky, there is no real need for cable or satellite TV.
HD rabbit ears, yes?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 11,923 times
Thank you for helping me out. :-)

Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 AM

740 posts, read 1,249,668 times
We're moving to Redmond as soon as I can sell my current home and am trying to estimate utility bills. We'll be adding gas, water and sewer bills that I don't have to pay now. Anyone have an estimate on a monthly total for electric, gas, and water? We're looking at homes under 2,000 sq. ft. and are aware that winter weather will hike the gas bill significantly. Here we are all electric and the bill will hit $300/mo from our co-op in January.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
................. Anyone have an estimate on a monthly total for electric, gas, and water? .............
Conifirian, no one can do that for you. Electric, gas, and water are all on meters and you pay for what you use. No one can guess how much you normally use.

You can take your bills now, see how much you are using and multiply that amount by the rates at your new utilities.

I can give you a range that I take from what other people tell me their bills run. Electric $60 a month for one person and $350 a month from someone else. Natural gas one neighbor pays $17 a month and another pays $175. Water? Base rate is probaly about $30 a month, but you can use $150 very easily.

Sewer in Bend is getting real close to $50 a month. I don't know what it is in Redmond. Garbage is by the wheelie bin, so you can call the refuse company and ask what they charge.

Firewood cut stacked and delivered can be up to $250 a cord. You could use anywhere from 1/2 a cord to 6 cords every winter.

I hope that helped.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 AM

740 posts, read 1,249,668 times
Thanks, oregonwoodsmoke, it does help. Phone, broadband and trash pickup are probably similar to here. I've been on my own well and septic system for 3 decades and was trying to get a handle on those charges. My high electric bills should be offset by the gas bill somewhat. I've been cutting my own firewood too (lots of beetle-kill on my property) but the house we're looking at in Redmond has a gas fireplace. Wish I could bring a couple cords with me - I can't give it away here. I'll leave my snowblower, chainsaw and splitter for the new owners when I sell.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:52 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
HD rabbit ears, yes?
I can't get much with my HD antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend