Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Last I heard this is the United States of America and we are free to move to any states without issue.
Which has nothing to do with being welcome by long time locals.

Quote:
I happen to have at least 3 friends that were born and raised in Bend, and never once have they complained about Californian's specifically moving in and changing things. Yes, they have said Bend has changed, but all of them think it's changed for the better. They are happy to stay here now, rather than move because Bend is a tired old town.
Did your friends tell you that Bend was a tired old town that needed to be saved by an influx of relatively wealthy new residents?

Quote:
I don't want to see Bend become the next "best" place, but come on, I'm not going to blame all my friends who moved to Bend from CA for the problems.
It doesn't matter who or what you blame because you are not a resident that has been here for decades. As a transplant you are contributing to the population growth issues people from CA get blamed for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Which has nothing to do with being welcome by long time locals.

Did your friends tell you that Bend was a tired old town that needed to be saved by an influx of relatively wealthy new residents?

It doesn't matter who or what you blame because you are not a resident that has been here for decades. As a transplant you are contributing to the population growth issues people from CA get blamed for.
Alrighty then! And, yes, in fact those were essentially the words two of my friends who grew up here described Bend as. One is in her mid 30s and one is in her 40s. 'm not saying it's the truth, at all. I was just stating how they both described it. To each their own.

And, that's fine. Go ahead and blame me for contributing to the population growth problems. But remember, you said yourself that you moved here from somewhere else. It doesn't really matter that you've been here longer than I have!

I'm not sure what your beef is with me, but that's okay. I was simply pointing out that your blaming of Californians for all of Bend's problems, isn't the consensus I get when I speak to my fellow Bendites. Most people could care less where I, or anyone else came from.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,515 times
only thing i blame on the calis is destroying the indoor mall and leaving it an open shopping strip. When its freezing and snowing i'd like to have all the stores conveniently located indoors like traditional malls.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
only thing i blame on the calis is destroying the indoor mall and leaving it an open shopping strip. When its freezing and snowing i'd like to have all the stores conveniently located indoors like traditional malls.
I have a friend who works for the Old Mill District and she told me it was designed as an open air mall to cut down on the amount of loitering and teenage shenanigans that happen with indoor malls. But, I do think you're right in that CA was one of the leading places to develop this type of mall.

I honestly don't frequent the Old Mill in terms of shopping. In fact, the only stores I have actually been in, besides the restaurants are REI, the Sunglasses Hut and what used to be a shoe store. Other than that, I just don't have a use for those stores. I can see though, your point. But, really, it isn't too bad. How often do you have to go to the mall?

For me, I prefer the open air, even when it's cold. I get claustrophobic in malls though! Something about not being able to see daylight, windows or doors makes me feel overwhelmed.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM

740 posts, read 1,250,540 times
This conversation reminds of Denver when I moved here in the 70s. Back then the big influx was from Texas, who were blamed for everything that subsequently wasn't to the likings of the natives (many cars had "Native" bumper stickers, even thought most were not Native Americans). Those of us who arrived then joined the "natives" in bashing anyone that came after us. It took a few decades, but the area seems more of a melting pot now, albeit one twice as large as it was.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I was simply pointing out that your blaming of Californians for all of Bend's problems, isn't the consensus I get when I speak to my fellow Bendites. Most people could care less where I, or anyone else came from.
Read more carefully. I haven't blamed transplants from California for anything.

I can tell you from personal experience that the consensus of your 3 friends is not the general consensus that I have run into. Not even close.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Read more carefully. I haven't blamed transplants from California for anything.

I can tell you from personal experience that the consensus of your 3 friends is not the general consensus that I have run into. Not even close.
You're right, as I reread what you said, I see that you were not personally blaming Californians. I assumed that because of your posts though. However, if you aren't blaming, then why did you feel the need to state this?
Quote:
Seems like you do fault others who have moved here after you. But you're not part of the problem because you were here before us? Give me a break!

I will also say that I don't doubt there are "natives" of Central Oregon who think that way, but it just hasn't been my experience. I was sharing that not everyone who grew up here feels that way, which I felt like you were inferring with your posts. I just wanted to give my side too. I also notice that what we see in people and how we view the world has a lot to do with our own perceptions. So if we feel like everyone around us is the problem and they are changing how things to use to be, we just might need to change that view.

Coniferan, you hit the nail on the head with your post. I was living in Denver when the blame game started happening and it's still alive and well. You just have to take a look at that forum to see. I think there are some warranted complaints from long time locals about the changes, I'm not saying that all change is good. But, it is inevitable. The reason most people move somewhere else is for better opportunities for their career, their family or their lifestyle. We can't fault those people for wanting those things too!

Old 09-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Seems like you do fault others who have moved here after you. But you're not part of the problem because you were here before us? Give me a break!
No clue about the origin of that assumption. Its not even close to what I wrote. It should be obvious that all transplants contribute to population caused problems. But for some reason people moving up from CA got the lion's share of the blame. Probably because a large number moved up during the boom.

Quote:
I will also say that I don't doubt there are "natives" of Central Oregon who think that way, but it just hasn't been my experience.
You didn't move from CA so it would be impossible for it to be your experience.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
No clue about the origin of that assumption. Its not even close to what I wrote. It should be obvious that all transplants contribute to population caused problems. But for some reason people moving up from CA got the lion's share of the blame. Probably because a large number moved up during the boom.
My assumption of you blaming me for part of the problem stems from this comment. As far as assuming you were blaming Californians, I suppose it stemmed from the numerous comments about them. I don't disagree that I'm part of the population boom and growth issues experienced in Bend, but don't you think you are too? Last I recall, you said you moved here 10 (or was it 11) years ago from an east coast town. That's one decade, not more. All I'm saying is it's easy to blame others, but we are all to blame. Maybe that's what you are saying too, but I can't tell because you won't address the comment you made.
Quote:

Quote:
You didn't move from CA so it would be impossible for it to be your experience.
Well, that's true, but either are you. So, your experience with the locals blaming Californians is impossible too. I was just saying that my experience with locals blaming Californians has been non-existent. You obviously don't have that same experience.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree that I'm part of the population boom and growth issues experienced in Bend, but don't you think you are too?
Of course. Everyone that moved to the area during the boom times contributed to the population explosion. I never said anything to the contrary.

Quote:
Well, that's true, but either are you. So, your experience with the locals blaming Californians is impossible too.
Wow where did you come up with that one? I'm lucky to have lived in many states over the years. CA was my home before moving to Bend so I do - in fact - have first hand experience with this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend