Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,607 times

Advertisements

interesting how the charming in bend thread is now become whos experience is most valid thread?

on that note I am just wondering? supposedly bend local has lived in Bend for as long as 15 years, has also lived in my location, the MA area of the east coast for ten years and now reveals a time span in CA before moving to Bend which would have been at least 15 years ago? All that time but just joining this forum recently and becoming one of the top posters as of late... And starting a thread about lunch in downtown Bend where they supposely haven't eaten in 15 years. And lastly will surely have a rebutal and refutation of all my post observations... curious and wondering? and what "charmed" you about bend so long ago inspite of being an unwelcomed Califorinian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 PM

431 posts, read 599,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
You didn't move from CA so it would be impossible for it to be your experience.
I did. My car ended up with a long, deep key scratch down one side. I was told by the insurance agent that I shouldn't have left changing my Cali plates for so long - a whole 12 days or so.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
Just watching this thread, and others, it is very clear the bendlocal comes here for the purpose of argueing with people.

There seems to be no constructive comments at all.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,392 times
Default charmed

I'm glad to read positive things about Bend because I'm looking for a cool city to move t. I am a 33 year old female single with no kids. I'm thinking of moving to Bend in a couple months, I have a masters degree in education in the field of rehabilitation counseling. I am planning to visit Bend next week for one week to figure out if Bend is the place for me and if I would like to move there. Currently I live in San Antonio Texas and do not care for it previously I lived in New York City for 12 years and I didn't like it there after about 3 years either.I am looking for an outdoorsy, fun, quirky happy city to enjoy the rest of my life. Is Bend Oregon the city for that?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsunshine View Post
I am looking for an outdoorsy, fun, quirky happy city to enjoy the rest of my life. Is Bend Oregon the city for that?
That sounds like Bend alright.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 AM

169 posts, read 237,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
I did. My car ended up with a long, deep key scratch down one side. I was told by the insurance agent that I shouldn't have left changing my Cali plates for so long - a whole 12 days or so.
What area of town did this happen in? That really sucks...

Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Wow where did you come up with that one? I'm lucky to have lived in many states over the years. CA was my home before moving to Bend so I do - in fact - have first hand experience with this issue.
I happened to come up with that from one of the other threads about the snow quality in Bend (which was supposed to be about why I love Bend). You never once mentioned here that you lived in CA and that is was personal experience. FWIW, I also lived in CA for some time. No one here in Bend has been rude to me when I tell them that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
interesting how the charming in bend thread is now become whos experience is most valid thread?

on that note I am just wondering? supposedly bend local has lived in Bend for as long as 15 years, has also lived in my location, the MA area of the east coast for ten years and now reveals a time span in CA before moving to Bend which would have been at least 15 years ago? All that time but just joining this forum recently and becoming one of the top posters as of late... And starting a thread about lunch in downtown Bend where they supposely haven't eaten in 15 years. And lastly will surely have a rebutal and refutation of all my post observations... curious and wondering? and what "charmed" you about bend so long ago inspite of being an unwelcomed Califorinian?
Glad I wasn't the only one to catch on to that, Snownut. It does make me question the authenticity of our BendLocal here. Regardless, it really doesn't matter in this thread. Back to the OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Just watching this thread, and others, it is very clear the bendlocal comes here for the purpose of argueing with people.

Yup. We seem to have these types of posters on here that spring up from time to time. Once we start ignoring them, they go away. I think I'll try to start doing that.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsunshine View Post
I'm glad to read positive things about Bend because I'm looking for a cool city to move t. I am a 33 year old female single with no kids. I'm thinking of moving to Bend in a couple months, I have a masters degree in education in the field of rehabilitation counseling. I am planning to visit Bend next week for one week to figure out if Bend is the place for me and if I would like to move there. Currently I live in San Antonio Texas and do not care for it previously I lived in New York City for 12 years and I didn't like it there after about 3 years either.I am looking for an outdoorsy, fun, quirky happy city to enjoy the rest of my life. Is Bend Oregon the city for that?
Solsunshine, Bend sounds like it may be a great fit for you, if you can find work to support yourself. I don't know much about your field, but I imagine there is always a need for good rehab counselors, so hopefully it works out for you.

One thing you might want to consider, is that the weather this time of year is going to be very pleasant and most likely pretty sunny. But the winter and spring months aren't going to be nearly as sunny as Texas and can feel longer because of that. If you lived in NY though, you are probably familiar with the long winter. I would suggest you peruse through some of the threads here though, using the search function, to read what others have said regarding the weather (if it's at all a concern for you).

Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
And starting a thread about lunch in downtown Bend where they supposely haven't eaten
Why is it hard to believe that a person wouldn't eat lunch out? From work it takes too much time to drive into town and park making lunches feel rushed. I prefer to save that money for a nice slower paced dinner. I'm never in town at lunchtime on the weekends. And with the turnover of restaurants a place that was there a few years ago may not be there today. FYI Bend has many nice restaurants that aren't open for lunch.

List of Downtown Business Turnover.

Quote:
and what "charmed" you about bend so long ago inspite of being an unwelcomed Califorinian?
I made a few trips to Bend before moving. The downtown was cute and uncrowded and the river and park areas all around Bend are awesome. I liked the school system and proximity to a big mountain and the national forest. I decided it was a nice outdoorsy town for a family.

On the initial visits I caught nearly perfect weather and bought into the 300 days of sunshine mantra. Imagine my surprise after experiencing a full year of weather wondering where all the sunshine had gone and learning that Mt Bachelor’s nickname was Mt BadWeather. No one had mentioned that when I was just visiting.

BTW I didn't learn about the unwelcome CA thing until I moved to Bend. I think it was our movers - a couple of friendly locals - that first mentioned the issue and suggested switching to OR plates asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
FWIW, I also lived in CA for some time. No one here in Bend has been rude to me when I tell them that.
You moved from CO so no one is going to think of you as another Californian driving up prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Quote:
Yup. We seem to have these types of posters on here that spring up from time to time. Once we start ignoring them, they go away. I think I'll try to start doing that.
It sure is funny how anyone that offers a viewpoint other than "Bend is Utopia" is tossed into the ignore category.

Quote:
Glad I wasn't the only one to catch on to that, Snownut. It does make me question the authenticity of our BendLocal here.
Now moving on to conspiracy theories? The average family moves every 5 - 7 years.

Last edited by BendLocal; 09-09-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Oops that is an older list. This is more recent.

Downtown Comings and Goings, 7/24/13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend