Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 04:28 PM

8 posts, read 11,925 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Many years ago I moved to Alaska, the month following my move my vehicle registration was up and I went in to register my car. I had a loan on my car but I was able to register it that day and took my new plates home with me.
Fast forward to this summer when I moved to Oregon. My husband and I went to register our cars August 18th. We still don't have plates or an Oregon registration and the DMV does not expect our cars to be done until December/January. Luckily we had lots of time before our cars Alaska registration is up but really 5-6 months to register your cars!! We do have loans on our cars which slowed down the process some but really this boils down to Oregon defining an archaic manual process which takes forever. I just wanted to warn people if your car is about to expire and you are thinking of moving to Oregon you may want to register your car in your state before moving here. You are only allowed 2 - 21 day trip permits and then you are supposed to stop driving your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Never had a problem with this myself.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,365 times
I moved here from Colorado last month and registered one of my vehicles at the DMV last week. I walked out with a set of plates 10 minutes later. New Oregon title will come in the mail eventually.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 11,925 times
I think the issue is that if you have a loan on your car and you are from out of state then it is a completely different process. The process we had to do is: Fill out a form, write a check to the DMV, get a VIN check, then send all of that to the lien holder. The lien holder transfers the title to Oregon (about 6 weeks) and sends the entire packet you sent to them with the new title to the Salem DMV. The Salem DMV then verifies everything is correct, cashes your check and waits for it to clear and sends you your plates. The Salem DMV has had our packets with new Oregon titles since early October. The DMV is estimating we will get our registration and plates by Dec/Jan.
I am telling folks this because if you have a loan on your car and you are from out of state it is going to take forever to get your registration and plates. If you get the chance to register before you leave you might consider it.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:31 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,365 times
I have clear titles on all three of my old vehicles, so they just checked the VIN and we were done. I have to get a driver's license this month and understand you have to bring your original birth certificate or a passport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: