Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Bend has many very nice qualities but I see no point in jumping aboard the bandwagon that is overselling the town. 300 days of sunshine? Seriously? I could go on but what is the point. Believe what you will.

I have to agree. If you are into desert (and I am) it is great. Many Californians don't see a difference in where they were and where they are. But for many it will be a disappointment and a bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcook View Post
I don't think there is any doubt that Bend and the surrounding area is beautiful and can be a wonderful place to live. Mountains, rivers, outdoor activities, craft beer, high desert climate… it has a lot on the plus side. It seems that housing is a bit on the high side, but it is what it is. I don't understand all the talk about West versus East versus South versus whatever… it would be nice for someone to put it in simple terms… the pros and cons of each area or cluster of neighborhoods. As a reluctant lifelong Texan I want to move to Bend. I am not a fan of hot… nor is Texas beautiful. Good friends… great music… that's it. I have done my fair share of research on Bend and the one thing that keeps me worried is the obvious dislike for Californians and the possibility that attitude might possibly extend to all newcomers from other states. I am an outgoing, friendly and compassionate guy who will be a good neighbor… but I am worried about being accepted. I just want to move there, put down roots, contribute to my community. I will not be moving there as an ex-Texan but as a proud Oregonian. Your thoughts?
Having moved from TX to Bend in the last year, here's the thing: people are nice. Acquaintances will come easy. But if you are not a snow-sport person, you will be missing out on a huge chunk of culture, and deeper friendships will be harder to come by. I'm not saying it's impossible by any means. But Snow Sport Culture is massive here.

Same deal in the Summer, except it's bikes, trails and river activities.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:45 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
It used to be ranching .............

Old 03-01-2014, 02:39 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
It used to be ranching .............
Cool.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 PM

431 posts, read 599,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Having moved from TX to Bend in the last year, here's the thing: people are nice. Acquaintances will come easy. But if you are not a snow-sport person, you will be missing out on a huge chunk of culture, and deeper friendships will be harder to come by. I'm not saying it's impossible by any means. But Snow Sport Culture is massive here.

Same deal in the Summer, except it's bikes, trails and river activities.
Which makes me wonder why some people push Bend as a retirement destination. I agree 100%. I'm somewhat physically limited through old injuries and am unable to ski or cycle. As a result, Bend really doesn't hold that much of interest to me. Yes, it was my wife's idea to move here!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:04 AM

8 posts, read 9,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
Which makes me wonder why some people push Bend as a retirement destination. I agree 100%. I'm somewhat physically limited through old injuries and am unable to ski or cycle. As a result, Bend really doesn't hold that much of interest to me. Yes, it was my wife's idea to move here!
Maybe Horses,Motorcycles,Fishing,Photography,Airplanes,G olf would be more your speed? Lots of Clubs for these activities.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,540 times
I'm retired and don't fish or golf. I love the area for motorcycle riding and photography, including my latest hobby, KAP (kite aerial photography). The small town feel, friendly people and mild weather are pluses.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coguy View Post
Maybe Horses,Motorcycles,Fishing,Photography,Airplanes,G olf would be more your speed? Lots of Clubs for these activities.
You forgot ATV's, hunting, and shooting.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:06 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Please share another of your "overselling" examples from the bandwagon.
Already covered in other threads but here is a quick summary of a few points.

One of the main qualities that people value is the small size and minimal congestion on the trails, roads, and in town. That is changing rapidly because of the very good PR. The winters are long and summers are short. Spring comes and goes in a blink of the eye. Bend is getting more expensive with each passing month. There are few decent paying jobs available. The new OSU campus is expected to bring traffic and crowding to an area of town which is already congested in the morning and afternoon from parents dropping off and picking up kids at the nearby schools and is even worse during powder days when thousands head to the mountain. The city has serious budget issues that haven't been solved.

http://www.ci.bend.or.us/modules/sho...cumentid=15446

Quote:
Long-Term Financial Planning

Like many other communities, the City has been confronted with serious budget shortfalls driven by the
downturn in real estate development and recession. In response, the City Council took proactive steps
to limit new funding requests, reduce expenditures which included staff reductions and implemented
other personnel cost savings measures. Despite the reductions made, the City’s five-year financial
projections reveal structural deficits where revenues are insufficient to support the current level of
programs and services being provided to our citizens. Long term funding solutions are still needed for
public safety, street maintenance and other basic services. Funding basic services, while maintaining
adequate General Fund reserves, remains a top priority for the City’s management. The City updates
its long term financial projections on an on-going basis and conducts annual financial strategy work
sessions with City Council to identify both current and long term funding needs and challenges. The
next financial strategy work session has been planned for January 2014 to discuss funding issues and
ensure the long term financial stability of the City.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,500 times
appreciate the opinions and data. writing about the 300 days of sunshine made no sense to me, these are valid things to consider and think about... better yet get involved in creating and working on solutions for these and the future you want in Bend whenever possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend