Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 PM

14 posts, read 23,375 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is any doubt that Bend and the surrounding area is beautiful and can be a wonderful place to live. Mountains, rivers, outdoor activities, craft beer, high desert climate… it has a lot on the plus side. It seems that housing is a bit on the high side, but it is what it is. I don't understand all the talk about West versus East versus South versus whatever… it would be nice for someone to put it in simple terms… the pros and cons of each area or cluster of neighborhoods. As a reluctant lifelong Texan I want to move to Bend. I am not a fan of hot… nor is Texas beautiful. Good friends… great music… that's it. I have done my fair share of research on Bend and the one thing that keeps me worried is the obvious dislike for Californians and the possibility that attitude might possibly extend to all newcomers from other states. I am an outgoing, friendly and compassionate guy who will be a good neighbor… but I am worried about being accepted. I just want to move there, put down roots, contribute to my community. I will not be moving there as an ex-Texan but as a proud Oregonian. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 07:41 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,980,884 times
At this point Bend has become a melting pot with people moving from all over the place. The 4 quadrants of Bend each have their own personality. Best I can suggest is to rent for while to figure out which one is a good fit.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Thanks. I will be renting for the first year while I build a home. I appreciate the response.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:26 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,980,884 times
We a bouts in Texas do you hail?

Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 PM

Dallas area... My business is actually in the suburb of Richardson.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:30 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,263,004 times
Much of Texas reminds me of Bend. I found the three or four places I lived to be nice.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:04 AM

722 posts, read 1,346,470 times
Don't live in Bend yet but have property there, we are working to find jobs and move there this year. During my visits I have always been quick to tell people I am from VA and trying to move to Bend. Every person I have talked with about this has been very nice and even curious how I found Bend. I don't think you will have any issues, quite the opposite I think you will find Bend very welcoming.

IMO: The "Californians" are more a stereotype, generalization and association with changes in Bend (negative changes to some). I think they represent a large percentage of people that have moved to Bend in the past decade or so and when lots of people move somewhere there will be change and influence. Take it down to the individual level and we are just Americans moving around and mixing it up. Change happens, some like it some don't, imagine how the native American's felt when the "white" man moved in? See Californians aren't that bad I guess there are some "Bendites" that think Bend has been ruined by the "outsiders"? A place can't grow as much as Bend without adapting.

Enough of my rambling, get on with your move, I think you will love it in Bend and just for fun go out one night and pretend you are from CA? Then you find out the truth and can report back here...

Old 02-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Thanks Snownut… I was hoping to hear exactly that. I'm committed. I will be coming up for a few visits to look around at neighborhoods and lots… and will be back for the Sisters Folk Festival and then moving shortly thereafter. Can't wait. Thanks again, for the response.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM

740 posts, read 1,242,977 times
We moved here from Colorado a few months ago and have found everyone to be very friendly in Bend, Sisters, Redmond, Madras - wherever we go. Colorado is beautiful, but after 40 years, we had enough of the snow. We love it here and have run into several people who also came from Colorado. BTW, I used to participate in the infamous Colorado vs Texas Tomato Wars back in the 80s at Twin Lakes. Never had enough Texans, so I got drafted into their army once.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 AM

14 posts, read 15,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
We moved here from Colorado a few months ago and have found everyone to be very friendly in Bend, Sisters, Redmond, Madras - wherever we go. Colorado is beautiful, but after 40 years, we had enough of the snow. We love it here and have run into several people who also came from Colorado. BTW, I used to participate in the infamous Colorado vs Texas Tomato Wars back in the 80s at Twin Lakes. Never had enough Texans, so I got drafted into their army once.
That is absolutely awesome! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend