Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times

Advertisements

I think you will be a welcome and interesting addition to the Bend Population.

As for your Husband .... Eh .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I have family in Oregon, St. Helens, and have spent a fair amount of time in Portland. In every place I have been to my exchanges with people were positive and friendly, surprisingly so. I am sure you will have the same experience.
But does that apply to all of Central Oregon and into Eastern Oregon?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Sorry to say no. Bend is not really Central or Eastern Oregon. It is East of the Cascades, but is really Central Oregon Foothills and High Desert. It really has no connection other than highways with the rest of Central Oregon. It is rapidly becoming a little bit of California.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
But does that apply to all of Central Oregon and into Eastern Oregon?
As far as my experiences there, it does. During one of my visits I travel the breadth of Oregon from St. Helens to Walla Walla, Tri-Cities, Pendelton, John Day and points in between. Granted the visits were brief, but there was zero negative interactions that I encountered. On the next visit I did a similar thing but continued on to Boise, then up to Couer D'Alene, Spokane, Tri-Cities, back to St. Helens. Bend was visited on both visits. The purpose for my visits, and my wife who was with me on the second trip, was recon for a move we are working on and trying to make happen in 2014. Bend tops the list.

I am not naive enough to think, or imply, that negativity or predjudice is non-existant, but compared to other places I have been and compared to peoples general attitude here in Alaska, the PNW is much friendlier. Things were different once upon time here in Alaska, sadly, narcissism and anti-social behavior seems to be the predominant attitudes here these days.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM

But you are not a black french lady.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenrey View Post
Hello, my family and I love Bend! We've visited twice; once in the winter and again in the summer. We have jobs and family in town, but my question is really one of fitting in.
I am a black female from London living in California for the past 17 years. My husband is a California native. I know the Bend population is not very diverse but I am wondering if they are open to other cultures. On both occasions that we visited people were very warm and friendly. Any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I do not intend to sound disparaging or negative in any way, on the contrary, I mean this in the most positve way.

If everyone that has the same fear of not being welcome in a new community then things would never change, stereotypes and misinformation would perpetrate and perpetuate ignorance and predjudice; diversity would never occur and society would fail to evolve, and those who are or feel that they are oppressed, will remain so. Being from a western state for the last 17 years I would expect you to have some understanding of how much more open minded people are in when compared to the south, or east.

I, for one, hope you make the move and find it everything you and your husband hope it to be and encourage you to add to making Bend a more diverse community in everyones best interest.

I have visited Bend twice and I found it warm and welcoming, though I have never had to deal with any racial steoypes or predjudice. I have family in Oregon, St. Helens, and have spent a fair amount of time in Portland. In every place I have been to my exchanges with people were positive and friendly, surprisingly so. I am sure you will have the same experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
But you are not a black french lady.
I made it a little easier for you, Steve.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:33 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times
AK, are you agreeing that Steve makes a good and valid point?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
Quote:
No, he/she is pointing out how absurd the comment was when you actually read what AK wrote. AK literally qualified his/her point of view with that very fact.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
No, he/she is pointing out how absurd the comment was when you actually read what AK wrote. AK literally qualified his/her point of view with that very fact.

Thank you, kapetrich, for pointing that out, and for the compliment!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,501 times
Thank you to everyone for replying to my question I was a little hesitant asking such a question to begin with...
I moved to America 18 years ago and did not even think twice about the culture or fitting in anywhere because of my color. Maybe it was because I moved to a large city or maybe I was 18 years younger.
In any case, I guess I was trying to get a feel for how welcome myself and my family will feel in Bend. It appears (based on previous visits and the responses I have received) that we are making a wonderful choice in choosing Bend as our new home.

And yes ' Coniferian' I still have my British Accent.
Cheerio for now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend