Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 PM

10,012 posts, read 7,155,230 times

Advertisements

When I say "unversity" I mean equivalent to one of the smaller Oregon public U's. A legitimate campus with a legitimate library offering a respectable number of degree options that are available any given year. Some organized sports, arts, student clubs, etc... and a respectably sized cadre of faculty. The closest analogues would probably be EOU, SOU or WOU. OSU-C currently doesn't even come close.

EOU has almost 5000 students, so OSU-C is looking to be like that in 10 years. I highly doubt it, given what we've seen. 10 acres is approximately enough space for one major building and maybe an administrative annex or two. Not exactly a impressive campus. You need at least 40 and preferably 50-200 acres for a decent campus, unless they plan on building up like PSU. I doubt that.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-16-2014 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,981,186 times
Only 10 acres have been purchased so far, but OSU is planning a much larger campus.

St. Charles and Bend Physicians Net $3 Million on Land for Oregon State Campus

Quote:
The 10 acres are adjacent to a 46-acre abandoned pumice mine that the university plans to incorporate into the campus, and just south of a demolition landfill that has been designated a federal brownfield, largely due to highly volatile wood products and tires that may be burning underground.

The pumice mine is rife with sinkholes and an early estimate put the cost of making it safe for students at $4 million to $7 million. Deschutes County owns the old landfill and is currently conducting an environmental study of the site to determine the cost and nature of the cleanup. If that 80-acre brownfield is abated, Oregon State could expand onto part or all of that plot.
OSU-Cascades campus could grow even more; Agreement could give college development rights beyond planned 56-acre campus

Quote:
Deschutes County and Oregon State University-Cascades Campus are nearing an agreement that could give the college room to expand beyond its planned 56-acre campus in southwest Bend.

Deschutes County Administrator Tom Anderson said Thursday the county and university are in discussions about the future of the former demolition landfill site, which borders the college’s proposed campus to the north. Of the planned 56 acres, only 10 have actually been purchased. OSU-Cascades is still evaluating building on an adjacent 46-acre site that was once a pumice mine.

Anderson declined to offer specifics, but said the details of an agreement could be made public in the next two or three weeks.

The agreement “would basically outline how we would cooperate on environmental remediation work” on the landfill property, Anderson said. “But we’re also willing to allow the university to do some master planning, which would include the county-owned property.”

Old 05-29-2014, 05:01 PM

456 posts, read 1,003,423 times
Good to see some support..

Bend Chamber Supports OSU-Cascades Expansion

Old 05-29-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
This is a quote from the article you linked -

Quote:
The Chamber believes the university has proven themselves a great partner and corporate citizen through an already proven track record and, thus, will uphold its due diligence while continuing to work with the community and the city on any challenges as they may arise.
It only takes a basic knowledge of the relationship between OSU and Coravallis to raise an eyebrow at that statement!

Just one example -

OSU/city collaboration an ‘abusive relationship’

Quote:
In the past two years, OSU/Corvallis Collaboration Committees have generated over 40 recommendations, with disproportionate burden on the city, while giving OSU ($850 million annual budget) undue influence in Corvallis ($120 million annual budget).

University representatives have made clear the university will decide what happens on the university. As such, these collaborations need to be disbanded, and Corvallis needs to generate her own ideas.
This letter printed in yesterday's paper is a good one.

Letter: OSU-Cascades planners are playing

Quote:
Officials in charge of planning the Oregon State University-Cascades campus are playing serious “small ball” as they endeavor to shoehorn a university into an already vibrant residential/commercial district of west Bend. The west side of Bend is already nearing short-term capacity with multiple new housing projects (NorthWest Crossing and Tetherow) and several existing grade schools as well as a junior college and Summit High School. Placing a university in the middle of existing residential and commercial harmony is a bad idea for the city.
Quote:
The obvious site for OSU-Cascades is Juniper Ridge, which boasts an area of some 1,200 to 1,500 acres. While there may be other adequate parcels, it has long been the vision of Bend leaders to place a university at that site. While there are infrastructure and connectivity challenges at Juniper Ridge, it would represent a “blank canvas” on which to create a world-class university. Moreover, it would allow the university to think in terms of 7,000 to 10,000 students (or more) when functioning at full capacity.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:22 PM

So do you support a moratorium on West Side development?

Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
So do you support a moratorium on West Side development?
Nope. But is it the best location for a 5,000+ student campus?

Don't you have concerns about using tax dollars to develop property that not one private developer has been willing to touch?

Old 05-29-2014, 05:32 PM

My view is I would rather have a university on that site instead of high density residential and retail. To think that prime West Side land will not be developed in naive. You are correct it hasn't been developed yet because it was not the low hanging fruit. Now there are no more large West Side parcels and so it will be developed.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:44 PM

722 posts, read 1,346,531 times
As someone moving to the West Side and committed to living in Bend at least until our 9 year has graduated (9 years) I will get to experience first hand how it plays out. If life has taught me anything it is no one knows the future, particularly many years out. I am a cautious supporter of the university location as I think it will force a slow and careful expansion/ growth because of the lot challenges.

Whatever happens I am expecting to be surprised... as that is how life is...

Old 05-29-2014, 05:53 PM

The first 10 acres will be a slam dunk, but the next OSU expansion will have to clear many more hurdles because of the requirement of a master plan. It will take several years to get through that process.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 PM

That land wasn't touched by private developers during the biggest boom Bend has ever seen. Was it because there was so much other land available or because developing on an old pumice mine and landfill were not economically feasible for non-public money?

If OSU builds on the westside then we are getting the high density housing and retail you say you don't want because they will be housing the freshman class at the site and retail that caters to college students will be opening nearby. IMO there isn't any other use of that property that would cause such a huge increase in traffic.

Take a look at OSU Corvallis to get an idea of what is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend