Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,984,835 times

Advertisements

Making Bend a college town; OSU-Cascades forms citizen committees to prepare for expansion

Last edited by BendLocal; 02-16-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:53 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,275,656 times
It could happen. I don't think it would be any worse than the Californication it has experienced.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,268,131 times
Interesting read, thanks.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:01 PM

Opposition is growing against the OSU-Cascades location: Bend OR Bust: OSU-Pumice Pit opposition growing

It's good to note that most of the opposition is not against a 4 year campus in general, but the particular location choice which I think, personally, has merit. In my view there are 'better' locations for the 4-year, but I also understand why they choose the site they did.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:17 PM

Great article.

Quote:
The group lists six areas of concern. They include:

1) Increased traffic in already congested area.
2) Inadequate campus parking that will spill over into surrounding neighborhoods.
3) Limited affordable housing for students.
4) Single family housing being converted to student housing.
5) The pumice pit is unsafe and unhealthy.
6) Expansion to the north on the adjacent land that what once a demolition landfill will be too costly to ever develop.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM

456 posts, read 1,004,186 times
The opposition group has little chance stopping the currently submitted OSU Cascade site plan from being approved. The site plan will be evaluated only on the existing land use laws. The laws specifically spell out the permitted uses for the land and structures allowed and how much parking is required. The city will not be able to consider future proposed expansion and it's impact. The city will not be able to consider housing costs. OSU has hired those who have successfully been through the land use process many times.

I hear so many saying Juniper Ridge. Sure it's a great location, but ODOT says not one bit of development can occur there until $20M+ is spent on road infrastructure. Basically this has terminated any development there.

Lastly if not OSU developing a university at this site, eventually this land would be developed with other residential and/or business creating as much or more traffic.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
The opposition group has little chance stopping the currently submitted OSU Cascade site plan from being approved. The site plan will be evaluated only on the existing land use laws.
Public opposition can and does change development even when it's technically permitted under the law.

Quote:
I hear so many saying Juniper Ridge. Sure it's a great location, but ODOT says not one bit of development can occur there until $20M+ is spent on road infrastructure. Basically this has terminated any development there.
Yet estimates are that OSU will be spending as much if not more to mitigate the problems associated with the pumice pit.

Quote:
Lastly if not OSU developing a university at this site, eventually this land would be developed with other residential and/or business creating as much or more traffic.
I disagree. No other use that I can think of will result in the large traffic increase due to 4000+ off campus students and the staff needed to run the university.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 PM

456 posts, read 1,004,186 times
Quote:
Public opposition can and does change development even when it's technically permitted under the law.
Can you provide an example of this in the City of Bend where a legal site plan was submitted?

I stand by my assertion that the site plan for the permitted use of a school at the proposed location will be approved by the City of Bend. City staff works closely with the applicant and their development folks (in this case OSU) to make sure all the requirements are met. They may make small changes, but picking another site location will not be their mandate.

Now it is quite possible the opposition group can slow the development down by appealing the city approved site plan to the state land use board and then on to the state supreme court. Something that would be very expensive for the opposition group.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Can you provide an example of this in the City of Bend where a legal site plan was submitted?

I stand by my assertion that the site plan for the permitted use of a school at the proposed location will be approved by the City of Bend. City staff works closely with the applicant and their development folks (in this case OSU) to make sure all the requirements are met. They may make small changes, but picking another site location will not be their mandate.

Now it is quite possible the opposition group can slow the development down by appealing the city approved site plan to the state land use board and then on to the state supreme court. Something that would be very expensive for the opposition group.
I agree with you Dry Side. I do not see this site/plan not getting permitted for the same reasons you listed.

To me, these dissenters are an important part of the process and our community. While they may not change the broad stokes of the projected, OSU Cascades will, in the least, try and minimize this type of 'backlash' as it is, at times, in their best interest too. OSU will likely make gestures showing that they acknowledged peoples concerns with symbolic and conciliatory acts that won't make the most die hard opponents happy, but will pacify the more reasonable as they really just want to be heard and have their reasonable concerns acknowledged to some degree. The most fundamental opponents won't be happy unless OSU chooses a different location, but that's not going to happen and is a loosing hand at this point in the game anyway.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-24-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 11:44 AM

A lot of opinions being posted as facts here. We have no way of knowing what OSU will do if they are met with overwhelming public opposition to the current site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend