Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 07:49 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,540 times

Advertisements

And Bend is a lot cheaper to visit than #48 Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
And Bend is a lot cheaper to visit than #48 Rome.
Unless you are visiting BEND from ROME ..

Old 01-19-2015, 08:32 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Unless you are visiting BEND from ROME ..
And we do get people visiting Bend from Rome and many other places in Europe and Britain.

Also, Smith Rocks is a huge international draw. There are rock climbers from all over the world that come to Central Oregon to climb.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:24 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,486 times
Default Jim Cramer mentions Bend Oregon

CNBC's Jim Cramer on his Mad Money show today mentions Bend Oregon

Robin in Portland Oregon calls into the show..... says: HI Jim this is Robin from Portland Oregon
Jim Says: PORTLAND!!, Oh man I love it out there!
Robin says: so do I
Jim says: What do you think about going to Bend for vacation?
Robin says: I gave up skiing years ago, I don't like the cold, Bend is lovely in the summertime.
Jim: Yea, maybe do some snowshoeing out there at Crater too...... awe, it's all off topic, go ahead

Robin then asks her question about a stock..........

anyways... I thought it was kinda cool that a Wall St guy knows about Bend.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:34 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Also, Smith Rocks is a huge international draw. There are rock climbers from all over the world that come to Central Oregon to climb.
Perhaps too much of a draw!

Crowds overwhelming Smith Rock State Park

Quote:
But the skyrocketing popularity of the Central Oregon park has become a double-edged sword during the past two and a half years, as weekend crowds often grow well beyond the capacity of the parking, restroom and camping facilities.

"In the past, we'd have a handful of days that were overcrowded," park manager Scott Brown said. "Now it's happening on a regular basis."
Quote:
The most common thing I hear from visitors is: 'This is an incredible place, and it's very crowded.'"

Old 07-05-2015, 09:37 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,500 times
Some negative publicity..# 2 really for Oregon but zero doubt Bend is a brutal place to make a living for many

10 worst states in America to make a living in 2015

Old 07-07-2015, 05:05 PM

431 posts, read 599,811 times
Quote:
Some negative publicity..# 2 really for Oregon but zero doubt Bend is a brutal place to make a living for many
True, but that study seems pretty heavily tilted against states with income tax. I have a feeling if Oregon had a sales tax of 8% and no income tax it would have been in the top 10.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:41 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:

10 worst states in America to make a living in 2015
It also seemed to me that workplace accidents figured highly in Oregon's spot high on the list. Thus not as good a place "to make a living." Not sure what Oregon industries are the ones with so many accidents.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM

431 posts, read 599,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Not sure what Oregon industries are the ones with so many accidents.
Looking at the OSHA website, it looks like there's lots of accidents involving logs, saws, falling off things, getting appendages trapped in conveyers and electrocution.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:26 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Default Bend profile in The Atlantic

The Atlantic magazine included Bend in their series on towns that have turned around from their extractive-industries past.

http://www.theatlantic.com/education...urce=SFTwitter

I thought the whole story was pretty good. It was nice to see COCC get a shout out rather than OSU-C which sucks up most of the education PR these days.

The only part I disagreed with was this:

Quote:
The main local concern of the moment seems to be managing the pace of growth — both in the short term, so as to avoid a repeat of the previous real-estate bubble-and-bust, and in the longer run, to avoid a prospect that was always described to us as “becoming another Aspen.”
That's already happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend