Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:05 AM

150 posts, read 215,386 times

Advertisements

This thread is getting awkward.... I would be interested in some facts too, as someone very seriously considering/planning on moving to the area.

Does anyone have any actual links to the factual studies, or is much of this hearsay? The longer it goes without any credible links posted, the more likely I feel that people might be overreacting, but I would love some facts to look through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,500 times
IMO:

The OP has this same question posted in a Texas thread. Best to ignore a poster with 5 total posts that are all on the same topic in different parts of the country with no links, facts or data to back it up.

This wonderful thread is now on it's third page with nothing more than what one might hear from a bunch of old guys at a barber shop. " Heard the wells been runnin dry out there in the desert" " Yep, and with all those Californans moving in and waterin their lawns the lakes will be empty soon too"

Seriously, I know that water and water usage is a very serious problem in this country. (world) I actually eliminated several potential areas from my relocation sites based on my personal concerns with long term (5-15 years + ) water shortages and crisis.

Do I think Bend needs to do a better job with water usage and planning? absolutely!. I am worried moving there that I will not have water to drink over the next decade + ? NO .

If a small city like Bend near the Cascades runs out of water in the next decade I hate to think how bad it will be in other areas of the country, particularly those connected to the Colorado river water shed.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
I recommend the book "Cadillac Desert" for an understanding of our coming water disaster.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:19 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I recommend the book "Cadillac Desert" for an understanding of our coming water disaster.
Thanks, love reading and will check it out.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,540 times
"In spite of the region’s high-desert location, water supplies easily meet the demands of our growing economy. Clean, clear water from mountain snows and underground springs supply several communities that have utilized a watershed system for the past 90 years. Other municipalities outside the reaches of mountain watersheds use high capacity wells to tap into an enormous, pure, deep-aquifer created when the region’s landmass was formed by volcanic forces."
Water and Sewer Infrastructure in Central Oregon

Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
"In spite of the region’s high-desert location, water supplies easily meet the demands of our growing economy. Clean, clear water from mountain snows and underground springs supply several communities that have utilized a watershed system for the past 90 years. Other municipalities outside the reaches of mountain watersheds use high capacity wells to tap into an enormous, pure, deep-aquifer created when the region’s landmass was formed by volcanic forces."
Water and Sewer Infrastructure in Central Oregon
Thanks for the link Coniferian!

Some posters true colors are on full display in this thread.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
You all have so much to learn about this area.

From the source of Coniferian's linked article -

Quote:
EDCO's inception in 1981 was a planned effort by key business leaders in the area who understood that due to a sharp decline in the primary wood products Central Oregon would have to attract other industries to prosper. Members invest their resources, time and expertise in the organization which has helped it become one of the top performing regional economic development partnerships in the Pacific Northwest. As a result, the region has a solid track record for attracting and retaining companies within our targeted industries, the well-paying jobs and significant capital investments they provide and that in turn support both private and public sectors.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
So much to learn about this area.

From the source of Coniferian's linked article -
It's a source. You don't like that source. Good. Present your sources.

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
It's a source.
Is it an unbiased source?

Quote:
The secret to EDCO's 28-year success in working to diversify the tri-county economy is tied closely to the fact that our organization is a private non-profit corporation funded by membership dues and services agreements for its satellite offices. In order to offer no-cost assistance for existing traded-sector companies and complete recruitment and relocation services for new companies, more than 300 companies, individuals, and local public entities support EDCO's operations. This mix of funding allows us to work closely with counties, cities and the state as an advocate for our local industries and businesses.
From their main page -

Quote:
Central Oregon is known for its dramatic snow-capped mountain ranges, farmlands, and high desert plateaus. The region boasts some of the nation's most livable communities and world-class outdoor recreational pursuits. Equally robust is Central Oregon's business environment, highlighted by an expanding high tech sector, a lively brewing scene, and entrepreneurial prospects of all types. Find more detailed information about Central Oregon and its communities here.
From

EDCO a major beneficiary of Deschutes lottery funds; Economic development agency has received nearly $700,000 since 2009

Quote:
Deschutes County has sent nearly $700,000 to the region’s economic development association since 2009, hoping to stem a business exodus in the grips of the recession and lure new companies to the High Desert.

The annual payment has ticked up over time. County commissioners on Wednesday cut a $217,200 check to Economic Development for Central Oregon, for services EDCO has brought to the table since July.

Last edited by BendLocal; 03-03-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 PM

You are arguing with yourself. No one has claimed that link is or isn't bias. It is a link that was given and I thanked Coniferian for providing it.

I've asked 4 times now (other posters have asked on top of me too) for sources to substantiate the view point that Bend has an insufficient water supply and the only responses to that are to skirt the issue or to name call.

I have absolutely no idea how else to ask you, the OP or Steve Pickering.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-03-2014 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend