Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 AM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times

Advertisements

Alright guys, so how would one get started in creating such a partition? I would think most of us would like the traditional mall back instead of open separate stores. Specially for the winter time here. Also a food court would add more jobs to the community.

I for one would like to see a traditional mall back in Bend.

If we all get a petition going and take it to the board or something I'm sure something could be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times
I don't recall ever being in what I'd describe as a real indoor mall in this area. I'm not sure why one doesn't exist. To get a larger indoor mall developed you'd have to convince one of the large commercial real estate developers that there was a significant need.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 AM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
with the growth of Bend and its inhabitants I would say that's a good reason.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
Alright guys, so how would one get started in creating such a partition? I would think most of us would like the traditional mall back instead of open separate stores. Specially for the winter time here. Also a food court would add more jobs to the community.

I for one would like to see a traditional mall back in Bend.

If we all get a petition going and take it to the board or something I'm sure something could be done?
Personally, I don't want an indoor mall. I like that Bend doesn't have a traditional mall. I don't like malls. I moved away from them.

To me, they're relics of our poorly planned suburban sprawled past. That's definitely an over-the-top characterization, but it's how I feel.

We already have Target, Cosco, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wallmart, etc....which are extremely convenient at times.

I would rather see Bend focus on smaller local businesses which is where the culture is here for me. We have a ton already, but I'd rather see more rather than less and more chain stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
with the growth of Bend and its inhabitants I would say that's a good reason.
I was going to say, this connects to your "Is Bend getting too crowded?" thread. Wanting an real indoor mall and feeling like Bend is too crowded.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-10-2014 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times
Someone told me that the Cascade Village was a indoor mall at one time
I went to google earth and took a couple of screen shots.
It also looks like it would be relatively easy to transform portion of it back into a indoor mall.... And honestly I would like that (nice and warm in the winter and nice and cool in the summer)
I have also heard that K-Mart use to be part of the Cascade Village Mall

Image from 1994

Image from 2005
Attached Thumbnails
Petition to restore cascade village to traditional mall-cascadevillage5.94.png   Petition to restore cascade village to traditional mall-cascadevillage8.05.png  

Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I would rather see Bend focus on smaller local businesses which is where the culture is here for me. We have a ton already, but I'd rather see more rather than less and more chain stores
I agree with much of what you wrote in your earlier post. With regards to the quoted portion - has anyone seen a mall that has local businesses instead of chain stores? I do think it would nice to shop without the need for a heavy jacket while I walked from store to store.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Cool maps, BendLocal. Seriously. It definitely looks enclosed or, in the least, more enclosed back in 1994.

I think outdoor 'European' style malls have become more and more trendy over the last decade. Which is comical since they're essentially trying to recreate the feel of an actual downtown area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I agree with much of what you wrote in your earlier post. With regards to the quoted portion - has anyone seen a mall that has local businesses instead of chain stores? I do think it would nice to shop without the need for a heavy jacket while I walked from store to store.
It'd definitely be a happy medium.

It's likely not very economically feasible. Essentially, a developer would be fabricating a fake indoor 'downtown' on the skirts of town for local business to occupy retail space - what would be the purpose? The only reason developers build indoor malls is because they know for a fact their retail space will be occupied by the standard 100 chain stores you see in every mall throughout the country.

I bet it's happened in a dilapidated mall in some town in this country. A town that was doing 'well' at one point or another, built and indoor mall, but it has now become obsolete due to economic conditions, etc. I bet once the developer ditched the property some local person bought it up for nothing and has started to reanimate the dilapidation. At least, I hope that's happened somewhere since this is an issue all over the place. I also hope we continue to reclaim our short sighted, strip mall oriented, car only suburban sprawl.

Just stumbled on this link earlier this morning: 20 facts about the great U.S. retail apocalypse that will blow your mind | Intellihub News

Jumping on a dying model isn't what I'd subscribe to as a developer or as a city council member. But that's just my personal opinion. Obviously, the internet has a lot to do with these figures too. It's not just a cultural shift.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-10-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 PM

I see your points. I guess the purpose is shopping in warmth and parking. Maybe it could work if anchored by the likes of Costco which gets many shoppers each day?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I see your points. I guess the purpose is shopping in warmth and parking. Maybe it could work if anchored by the likes of Costco which gets many shoppers each day?
Yeah. I think that's already happening over on the east side by Costco/Whole Foods and on the north side with Home Depot/Target/etc., they're just not enclosed which is a trend/cuts down on 'loitering' and crime.

I definitely see what you all mean with the enclosed malls being warmer which has its benefits.

Looks like from that 1994 map, though, that turning that 'mall' to the outdoor feel freed up parking rather than taking it away.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:28 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Since I don't shop in malls and I am not interested in the type of stores that are located in malls, I suspect that the property owner isn't going to have any interest in my opinion.

My best guess is that the high cost of energy has made it economically impossible to heat and cool all the enclosed space of an indoor mall.

The only really great thing about the indoor malls is that they offer mall walking for senior citizens in bad weather. But you can't really expect a real estate developer to offer free recreational facilities to the local population.

Wagner mall is still enclosed, and if you want them to remain, better get over there and support the shops. Bend River Mall (or is it Mountain View Mall?) is still partially enclosed. I think. I don't shop there. The one with the Sears in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend