Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:53 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,164 times

Advertisements

Now I primarily X-Ski (classic and skate), in past years I found the Bachelor Mid Week pass reasonable and it was never busy mid week. I decided to focus on X-Ski because it was closer, didn't get cold on the lift, cheaper, better wx at Meissner, didn't have to smell cig smoke, could burn more calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 04:41 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times
The midweek pass is still out of the reach for many people and the reality is most people can't ski during the week because of work - that's why it doesn't seem crowded on a typical weekday - pow days excepted!

I think X-Ski is too much work for too little fun but I've got family and friends that love it. Have to say I haven't really observed a cig smoke problem at Bachelor. Smelled plenty of the other type of smoke though.

This fat bike craze is looking interesting. Could be another fun winter sport.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
It's cheap if you can meet the initial cost barrier for kayaking, camping or hiking - ie: do you have a vehicle capable of carrying gear / getting to these places? Can you afford the gas? Can you drop $1000 on the kayak? After that it gets cheaper.

I broke down and bought an old used 4x4 truck. Now I can drive all over the unimproved forest roads and hike / backpack / land nav / snowshoe till my heart's content. Not everyone can do that.

With skiing what bothers me are the recurring fees.

Before I moved to Oregon, the thought of paying more than $3-400 for a bicycle was unthinkable. I remember buying my first "bike shop bike" and being shocked. I had always just rode Huffy's from Wal-Mart which cost $100. I'm still shocked when I hear how much some people here pay for a bike. Thousands!

Old 05-29-2014, 05:08 PM

86 posts, read 266,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
You can choose to go camping where there is a fee. Normally that fee is nominal at best. You also have the choice to camp on BLM for nothing.
This could stand in for a lot of this discussion about having fun outside. You can make some hobbies affordable, but you can make EVERY hobby expensive if you want to.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:13 PM

For me cycling is my primary hobby so I have no trouble spending $$$ on good equipment. I have met many others in Bend who do the same.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:28 PM

86 posts, read 266,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
For me cycling is my primary hobby so I have no trouble spending $$$ on good equipment. I have met many others in Bend who do the same.
I bet that's not hard in a town like this. The lineup hanging from my neighbor's wall is worth more than both his cars.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
Definitely some serious dollars thrown at equipment around here!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 PM

So today at high noon I drove up to Swampy Lakes parking lot. Very little traffic on Cascade Lakes Highway. Rode my bike on this route..

Flagline Tie->Flagline->South Fork->North Fork->NF 370->Farewell->Tumalo Creek->Tumalo Ridge->Swede Ridge->Swampy

Did not see a sole. That said yesterday around noon Century Drive and Newport Ave were very busy.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:21 PM

431 posts, read 599,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
This fat bike craze is looking interesting. Could be another fun winter sport.
This one had me confused a few weeks ago when KTVZ reported that a missing skier had been found by a fat bike rider. I thought what does the size of the cyclist have to do with it and aren't they being a little judgmental. I guess i'm not as up to date on the latest trends as I should be.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:36 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
This one had me confused a few weeks ago when KTVZ reported that a missing skier had been found by a fat bike rider. I thought what does the size of the cyclist have to do with it and aren't they being a little judgmental. I guess i'm not as up to date on the latest trends as I should be.

Fat Tire Beer just gave away a whole slew of Fat Bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend