Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:53 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,486 times

Advertisements

I like Coniferian also flunked my 1st try on the written test..... Then I read the book (DOH!) and passed the next day 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
You have to take a written (computer) driver test. Read the book thoroughly and take some on-line practice tests first. I flunked mine the first time. Sample questions: What do you do when a horseback rider raises their right hand? On what date must you remove studded snow tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 12:48 PM

72 posts, read 142,255 times
Always fun to read the Bend threads. Bend is for rich people, silly punters.

It will eventually be like Vail - if you've driven west on I-70 you see the town of Vail lookin' all Outside Magaziney and then a couple miles down the road are the trailers of the service workers, living four to a trailer, stacked and stretched out along the mountain like a tin-can slum. In Bend, at least for now, the slums are interspersed among the McMansions, which I suspect gives the landed gentry a thrill, like they're all hipster n' such. Slumming with the ski boardin' kids who serve their lattés and clean their toilets.

Some tele ski friends who did the Bend thing for awhile had a good line about who makes up the Bend demographic these days, at least the ones the Chamber of Commerce cares about: "Nose-picking Californians with new money and no class all looking for 'the next big thing.'"

Also, if you're looking for unspoiled back country experiences without other people around, Bend won't be your thing. It's a place to see and be seen, and you better look good. As Fernando once said, "It's better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous." I believe that's posted on signs as you enter Bend.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
You kind of don't know what you're talking about. "If you're looking for unspoiled back country experiences without people around..." I'll tell you what, come jump on my snowmobile with me in November. I'll take you out to the 3 Sisters Wilderness Catchline and we'll back country ski South Sister/Broken top for days without seeing another sole.

You see what you want to see.

Also, while Bend is getting wealthier, it has no prospect of becoming anything like Vail. First, Bend is 20 mins from the ski resort, aka, it is a town detached, unlike Vail. Second, Vails ski resorts land is privately held, along with the land surrounding it, due to mining rights dating back to the 1800's. This is not the case at Mt. Bachelor which leases the land from the Feds in 20 year lumps - this drastically effects development. Third, Vails geography vs Bends is a huge limiting factor do Vails development, something that Bend only experiences on its Western edges, not 360.

A better comparison would be to a town like Sante Fe, given its lack of geography limitations, population and proximity to the resort. Bend certainly has the potential to become like Sante Fe in the long term, if the community does not keep it in check, which is discouraging to me.

There are, without a doubt, kernels of truth in what you say, but leave the hyperbole at the door next time.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:06 PM

$nowmobiler +pristine outdoor experience = oxymororn. You've made my point for me. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:10 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymelyte View Post
Snowmobiler +pristine outdoor experience = oxymororn. You've made my point for me. Thanks!
We can't take the snowmobile past the catch line to the entire untouched 3 Sister Wilderness. Again, while there are kernels of truth within your depiction, your depiction holds little weight to anyone who studies this type of thing and/or actually gets out in the back country.

/done

Old 07-25-2014, 01:16 PM

Anathema as it is to have to say this - by way of explanation which should need no explanation - but you've completely missed the essence of my comments.

To potential future Bendonians, there you go.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:53 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
The majority of Bend homes are more than 20 miles from Bachelor. Vastly different that locations like Vail, Aspen, or any other resort town located at the base of a mountain.

That said - there is no doubt that the greater Bend area is getting ever more crowded. People that enjoy the backcountry come here. No getting around that. Hard to say what it will feel like to be in the wilderness 10 years from now. But sleds are getting more popular which provides easier access.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:01 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,462 times
Yet when I ride NF4601/370 or North Fork or Mrazek or other upper elevation trails I rarely see anyone else. Been that way since I moved here over ten years ago. Sure if you hike Green Lakes trail around noon on an August Saturday it will be busy. Many other trails won't be.

When I skate ski or classic ski it's not busy at Meissner. Does traffic around Bend swell in the summer? Of course. But get a few miles away from Bend and it just isn't that busy.

Most important though, if you are not happy living here don't stay. Someone else will be happy to live here.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:09 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
Yet when I ride NF4601/370 or North Fork or Mrazek or other upper elevation trails I rarely see anyone else.
North Fork is a busy trail so my guess is you are hitting it off hours. From your past posts I gather that you are exceptionally fortunate to have a schedule that allows you to get out when the far majority have to work. That's great but you have to remember that it is well outside of the norm.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 PM

740 posts, read 1,250,540 times
I could see Bend becoming like Vail...if I-5 ran through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend