Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:43 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times

Advertisements

When I got a job in Central Oregon 2 years ago, I believed a lot of the hype about this place.

What I've found is that it was mostly propaganda.

1) Breweries - the craft brewery movement is spreading nationwide and Deschutes beer is getting to be a national brand, at least west of the Mississippi. So it's not all that special anymore, and most good pubs, especially in the PNW, have the good beer selections available.

They're fun the first time, but after that they blend together.

2) Festivals - it seems to be the same two festivals with a different name held at various times of the year. I will say that BendFilm is pretty cool for a town this size.

3) The Lifestyle - a lot of people are athletic poseurs or define "adventure" as hiking a well-worn trail.

4) The social life - there is none. This is a place for families and retired people. If you don't already have a family, dating is damn hard, mostly because there are very limited dating options. When there is someone with potential - they are going to move to find a better job... that leads me to:

5) Jobs - there are few. I got one here but it was a lucky break and sometimes I wish I hadn't, because now I feel trapped.

6) Cultural life - there is little of it.

7) Isolated - 3 hours to Portland. Most everything closes down early at night except the usual suspects.

8) Housing costs - they are insane. I don't know how a working person can afford a house here, but I sure can't, and I'm in a financially stable position. The best I can do is *bid* on a double wide, there's no guarantee I'll win the bidding on these foreclosures and short sales. Other than manufactured homes and places that need tens of thousands worth of work, I can't afford crap. One townhome that I was interested in had 18 offers in less than 2 weeks.

This is not a great place to live at all, unless you're already wealthy. The hype was all bull****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM

431 posts, read 599,980 times
I don't disagree with you on almost all these points. Bend takes a particular mindset and if you don't fit it, you probably won't be happy. I've been here 10 years and, to be honest, I'm tired of it. There employment situation isn't great and the isolation gets to me. That's not to say it hasn't got a lot going for it though.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM

22 posts, read 57,339 times
I find these kind of posts pointless, but I like what you have to say, taking it with a grain of salt.

Any city has its problems. And, NO WHERE is perfect. Would you rather live in Eugene?, oh wait too much rain, what about Colorado? oh, too far from ocean, not enough trees, Texas?..no, humid. SoCal?..too many weirdos. and so on....

My opinion, you need to go if you feel this way. Fact: You are not stuck. You made the choice to pick up and leave to here, now do it again. I am sick of people saying.."oh, you are so lucky to live in blahblah, 'wish' I could go.." Come on, make a move. Three important words in life: Choice, Chance, Change.

Your propaganda list has been stated more than a hundred times in this forum. Now, can we talk about something optimistic?.. like all good bands that come here to play, mostly free shows. All the talented people living here. Or, how Bend is the growing hub of central Oregon, and will, in coming years, have much more going on in the way of dating, festivals thanks to more colleges and business.

I don't plan on staying here forever. But, I have meet many who have left and come back time and time again.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisfraser View Post
I find these kind of posts pointless, ….........
My opinion, you need to go if you feel this way..........
Your propaganda list has been stated more than a hundred times in this forum. Now, can we talk about something optimistic?.. .
No, posts like that are not pointless.

This is a relocation forum – it's not a Chamber of Commerce forum where you would only read the good things about a location.

Many people come to the CD Forums to help decide WHETHER they want to move to a locality. It's important that they read a variety of opinions, even if some of them offend the local cheerleaders who invariably respond with their version of the trite “if you don't like it move away” comment.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
I find these kind of posts pointless, but I like what you have to say, taking it with a grain of salt.

Any city has its problems. And, NO WHERE is perfect. Would you rather live in Eugene?, oh wait too much rain, what about Colorado? oh, too far from ocean, not enough trees, Texas?..no, humid. SoCal?..too many weirdos. and so on....

My opinion, you need to go if you feel this way. Fact: You are not stuck. You made the choice to pick up and leave to here, now do it again. I am sick of people saying.."oh, you are so lucky to live in blahblah, 'wish' I could go.." Come on, make a move. Three important words in life: Choice, Chance, Change.

Your propaganda list has been stated more than a hundred times in this forum. Now, can we talk about something optimistic?.. like all good bands that come here to play, mostly free shows. All the talented people living here. Or, how Bend is the growing hub of central Oregon, and will, in coming years, have much more going on in the way of dating, festivals thanks to more colleges and business.

I don't plan on staying here forever. But, I have meet many who have left and come back time and time again.
Some of it's my fault for believing the hype. I also didn't give enough thought to what it would be like to move from a fairly large, diverse city to smallish sized town that's the gateway to a large rural area, much of which is rural poor.

But here's a positive - I didn't mention weather. I hear a lot of people complain about the weather here, that it's too cold and there's not enough summer. That I actually like - it's so great to not need air conditioning 11 months out of the year. I'm conservative with the heat, will rarely heat my place above 68-70 degrees, so my utility bills are very low. During the summer I have $40 or $50 electric bills. That's awesome. Also, used cars in good shape are easily found. I paid $1200 for a used 4x4 SUV that runs fine. In Texas anything under $2500 is a project car.

It wouldn't be quite so bad if the jobs situation was better - if there was something other than tourism and service driving the economy, most of my list would improve. By and large, the lack of living wage jobs is Central Oregon's most egregious drawback. That has a direct effect on the social life that I explained before.

The Bend hype is a particularly dangerous brand of propaganda that makes Bend look like it's awesome... which it is to some extent...IF you can afford to live nicely here.

There are other cities like this. Analogues that comes to mind for me are Taos & Santa Fe, New Mexico - a very similar vibe of awesome but underneath the surface is this seemy underbelly where the underclass has to live.

To a lesser extent because it's a much bigger city, another analogue is Austin, TX, where I lived previously. It has its own form of propaganda and increasingly unaffordable living costs causing an unpleasant level of inequality. But there, you could always just drive a little further out to find something affordable. Here, not so much.

If you live in Bend but don't have at least $1500 for rent or 250K minimum to purchase a house (preferably more than $300K) - you're stuck living in crappy rentals surrounded by sketchy people. Or, you could move to Redmond and start a meth business. At my price range, I've looked at more than one Redmond house that used to be a slumlord rental, and is now a squatter meth lab.

Last edited by redguard57; 03-20-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 09:45 PM

22 posts, read 57,339 times
Good point redguard. I agree. Renting is ridiculous here.

And Karl, I didn't mean it as "get out if you dont like it" kind of way. Just figured people should take a leap of faith if they don't like the way things are going.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Hehmmmm. Well, it looks like things change, and things stay the same. When I lived in Bend, the mills were still there and operating.

In the summer, I was working as a framing carpenter. Building some of them new houses. Summers were hot, and working outside was hot. So, I used to go down to the riverbank opposite the mill after work, and go skinny-dipping in a hole I knew, just to take a nice cold bath. I don't think I could do that today. Besides, I don't think age has treated me well enough if I did get "caught"!!

Anyway - it was the same back then. The only regular work, for most folks, was the mills, or the Inn at 7 Mts (or whatever it was called). There was NOT much other industry. Since then, a few smaller companies and industries came to the area just because they love the climate and geography. Enough to multiply the population many times. But there still isn't much basic economic underpinning to it.

And, the high cost - we used to call is Californication. You can figure that out, no doubt. California is expensive. Anyplace else by comparison is cheap. When Californians migrate, property prices go up. Just because they will pay more than the locals. Last time I visited, Bend was Yuppieville personified.

Keep in mind, I tended bar at the D&D. I'm glad to hear it is still there. There is a picture on Google - it even looks the same. I have a "coming-of-age" story or two out of that place.

Bend is in a beautiful location. I loved the weather. It is tops if you like weather that changes. Hawaii is better for folks who don't want seasons - but I don't think any other place in the lower 48 has weather to match Bend. Little humidity, some heat in the summer, but not too much. No snow or little snow, and relatively mild winters, but still a winter season. If you want snow, it is only an hour or two drive!

It is in a geographically diverse, and beautiful setting. Right on the Deschutes River, right next to the Cascades, and with the high desert on the other side. If you want fresh blackberries, the best in the country, you just drive over the other side of the Cascades in summer towards Eugene. Don't need to even go to Eugene. You want grass fed beef from the ranch? You can get it. Hiking, running, cycling, skiing. Fishing if you know where and how. If you like driving cars, lots of those road are plenty challenging (we had some pretty dramatic high times).

But there isn't a lot going on economically that does not depend on those tourism type activities.

I don't think Taos or Santa Fe or anywhere in northern NM is a good comparison - because they had at least a rural economy way back when. Bend didn't really even have that. Eastern Oregon wasn't really good cattle country, nor ranching country. Not compared to northern NM or other cattle locations in this country.

All this to say, I'm not surprised by what you say, not at all. I had thought maybe Bend's economy had broadened a little bit - but what you say tells me it hasn't gotten truly broader. A little, yes. But a kinda force-fed economic growth, yeah.

So it is still very limited. The D&D was not the place to go looking to meet the opposite sex. It WAS a good place to get a beer and a shot back. I don't imagine that has changed. There were a couple other places back then - but not my idea of "good-time" people or potential friends. So, yeah, I hear where you're coming from. Unfortunate for yourself, but I'm sure you will figure out something!

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2014, 12:41 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
. . .

5) Jobs - there are few. I got one here but it was a lucky break and sometimes I wish I hadn't, because now I feel trapped.

. . .
Outside 'a me reminiscing, I'd like to add a bit of advice here. Just on this point.

DON'T let yourself feel trapped. Yes, it takes some effort to research and seek a new job. But, no, you are not trapped. You CAN do this - it can be very hard work - but you can do it.

It is harder when you want work that is not in the same geographic location - but you can still do it. Do not be disheartened. Feeling down and in the dumps is your worst enemy. You need to keep your pride in yourself, and in your abilities, intact. You need to remember that you can change what you are doing. Remember that - research the new locations - find the good companies - find the "good" work - and then do it - in your OWN time - on YOUR schedule. Sooner or later, you WILL get another opportunity.

And, if I have not said this well? There are lots of books at the library that cover this topic extensively. (btw, THAT landscape has changed a lot since I lived in Bend, too!!).

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
I think this is a good, critical and well thought out critique of Bend (especially the OPs 2nd post) and I think many of your complaints are valid/other should read this before making the move.

No place is perfect and if you're fooled by the hype without having a healthy skepticism then you're setting yourself up for failure. It's all about expectations. Like you in Bend, I have a 2 friends that have recently moved to Austin and feel it was WAY over hyped. They moved from a major North Eastern city and find Austin to be 'pedestrian', none-diverse and much less progressive than many people like to say it is. That said, they think the town is quirky, fun and has a lot going for it, but it was overblown in their minds.

It's all really just B/S isn't it? Whether you're talking Bend or Portland or Austin or any of the other 'must move to' locations of the 'now.'

Bend is NEWLY a town of 80,000 people. Just 10 years ago it had a population of 50,000 and 20 years ago it was a town of 20,000. Bend also has a very strict UGB's leaving the area around Bend sparse without much, if any, suburban sprawl, comparably. So while Bend proper is compact and thriving, if you leave the city limits there is basically nothing that, like most cities, feeds into the city proper.....Austin's a good example of this. Sprawl sprawl sprawl with a, comparable for it's metro population, small downtown area that is fed by massive suburban (and cheap alternative housing) development. This is the norm all across the USA so I think when people see that Bend is a town of 80k they just assume it feels bigger since it will have that suburban metro feeding it, but it does not.

Bend is not yet established or grown into its 80,000 population. It is slowly working on diversifying its economy (new business start ups, the new college, etc.) to help stabilize its tourist based economy, but this will take time....as it should.

To your social life complaint. I couldn't agree more. Luckily, I was not looking for many friends when I moved here. But our age range (I'm 28) is lacking. Like you said, people are either young or old and the people in their mid-20's here are either married or with kids already making it difficult. Another downside, for me, is the attitude of the mid-20's here. I often feel like I'm babysitting 14 year old when hanging out with a 25 year old. This just wasn't the case back in the North East. The college should help with this aspect.

If I were you, I'd check out some local meet ups, Central Oregon Locavore and other organizations where people our age seem to be taking active roles in the community. This is where I've found my niche.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you. Hope you find what you're looking for. If I were you I'd skip out on heading back to Austin right away and try out Portland. It may be exactly what you're looking for and it's extremely cheap when compared to most mid-major/major cities in the USA.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-21-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
When I got a job in Central Oregon 2 years ago, I believed a lot of the hype about this place.

What I've found is that it was mostly propaganda.

1) Breweries - the craft brewery movement is spreading nationwide and Deschutes beer is getting to be a national brand, at least west of the Mississippi. So it's not all that special anymore, and most good pubs, especially in the PNW, have the good beer selections available.

They're fun the first time, but after that they blend together.

2) Festivals - it seems to be the same two festivals with a different name held at various times of the year. I will say that BendFilm is pretty cool for a town this size.

3) The Lifestyle - a lot of people are athletic poseurs or define "adventure" as hiking a well-worn trail.

4) The social life - there is none. This is a place for families and retired people. If you don't already have a family, dating is damn hard, mostly because there are very limited dating options. When there is someone with potential - they are going to move to find a better job... that leads me to:

6) Cultural life - there is little of it.

7) Isolated - 3 hours to Portland. Most everything closes down early at night except the usual suspects.

8) Housing costs - they are insane. I don't know how a working person can afford a house here, but I sure can't, and I'm in a financially stable position. The best I can do is *bid* on a double wide, there's no guarantee I'll win the bidding on these foreclosures and short sales. Other than manufactured homes and places that need tens of thousands worth of work, I can't afford crap. One townhome that I was interested in had 18 offers in less than 2 weeks.

This is not a great place to live at all, unless you're already wealthy. The hype was all bull****.

Quote:
I find these kind of posts pointless, but I like what you have to say, taking it with a grain of salt. ... ...
Not Pointless. There are not enough posts like this. By the time some people drink the Kool-Aid it is too late. I think the OP did a great job of saying it like it is. Not how a Real-estate agent pushing high desert land would want it, but truthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend