U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:35 AM

20 posts, read 24,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
They are talking about putting an "In N' Out Burger" in Medford.....hahaha.....

Oooooh man! I forgot In n Out was something I was going to have to give up if I moved out of here......and now I just realized Oregon doesn't have a Five Guys Burgers and Fries
It's gonna be a long winter
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 03:28 PM

720 posts, read 1,164,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGirlie View Post
Oooooh man! I forgot In n Out was something I was going to have to give up if I moved out of here......and now I just realized Oregon doesn't have a Five Guys Burgers and Fries
It's gonna be a long winter
It think this will meet your needs

Our Story - Pilot Butte Drive In Pilot Butte Drive In

Old 10-21-2014, 03:50 PM

20 posts, read 24,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
looks like a decent substitute. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks! Best burgers in town?

Old 10-22-2014, 05:09 PM

7,155 posts, read 4,732,364 times
Quote:
creeping 55 in Oregon.
Remember that Oregon has speed zones, not very many speed limits. Speed limits are mostly on the interstates.

You can fudge the speed "zones" somewhat. Here's what ODOT says:
Quote:
All travel on public streets and highways is subject to the Basic Speed Rule. The Basic Speed Rule states that a motorist must drive at a speed that is reasonable and prudent at all times by considering other traffic, road and weather conditions, dangers at intersections and any other conditions that affect safety and speed. In other words, drivers are expected to use good judgment in selecting their speed.

The Basic Speed Rule does not authorize a driver to exceed the posted speed. If a motorist is charged with violation of the basic speed rule, the posted speed becomes the primary evidence that he/she exceeded the Basic Speed Rule. In this case, it would be up to the motorist to prove that he/she was driving in a reasonable and prudent manner for the conditions.
What I have been pulled over for - swerving into a bike line across the solid line and talking on a cell phone when driving. Don't talk and drive without a bluetooth, and for the love of God pay attention to the safety rules regarding cyclists. People are serious about that here.

I routinely drive 65 on the highways outside of town and have never been pulled over, but I'm pretty careful to make sure I'm not the only one doing it. People will pass me going 70+ I usually drive around 55-60 on the parkway and have never been pulled over. I'm careful when I hit 35 or 25 zones. I never speed in those because they're typically in small towns that probably base their budgets on traffic fines.

Last edited by redguard57; 10-22-2014 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 05:14 PM

431 posts, read 519,872 times
So what does this mean?

Quote:
The Basic Speed Rule does not authorize a driver to exceed the posted speed
If a sign says "55", then that is the limit. The basic rule is there so people can't claim they're allowed to drive at 55 mph in a blizzard or thunderstorm where visibility is limited and/or the road surface is compromised. It's not a carte blanche to speed.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:33 PM

7,155 posts, read 4,732,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
So what does this mean?

If a sign says "55", then that is the limit. The basic rule is there so people can't claim they're allowed to drive at 55 mph in a blizzard or thunderstorm where visibility is limited and/or the road surface is compromised. It's not a carte blanche to speed.

Maybe not, but if you go 55 on Hwy 97, 126, 20, etc... in good weather, people will pass you like crazy. Any time I'm on 97, the "flow" seems to be from 60-67mph.

To me, the Basic Speed Rule reads vaguely enough that driving above the posted speed, given favorable conditions and traffic flow, is not strictly prohibited. The whole thing seems up to a lot of interpretation. I imagine cops can use it as an excuse to pull someone over for going almost any speed.

I googled it and found this:

Quote:
"Under perfect conditions, we'll let you go 60, 65," said Malheur County Sheriff Brian Wolfe. "But 70, 75, 80 -- we'll go after you. We have our limits."
Sounds about right.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...r_traffic.html

Last edited by redguard57; 10-22-2014 at 05:46 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,642,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGirlie View Post
looks like a decent substitute. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks! Best burgers in town?
Way better than In and Out. By Far.....

Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,360,081 times
Quote:
The Basic Speed Rule does not authorize a driver to exceed the posted speed.
Now that is a definitive statement!

Old 12-02-2017, 06:58 PM

24 posts, read 52,443 times
I didnt read all the replies to this thread as there are a lot, but I read about 3 pages of them. I was hoping to get some helpful info on Bend, as Ive been interested in moving there myself. I do actually agree that $900/month is a shocking budget to be looking for 3 bedrooms (even tho I take into account that this thread was started 3 years ago when Im sure rents were lower). What the OP is looking for would be about $3000-$4000+ in my area and thats for an apartment. If you are hoping to get a yard then its going to cost more. Once of the reasons I get sick of CA. People think Bend is expensive but clearly have never lived in Cali. Aside from NY we are so expensive. Our beautiful beaches and always sunny weather is the reason why of course. I have to say its disappointing to see how many posters told the OP not to come or say that she wont find what she wants here even after she made it clear the move was happening. Nobody can say anything positive! If someone is moving there why not be helpful rather than say dont come?? This is the experience Ive had myself on this site. No matter what people are negative with the exception of a few helpful people. And most of the time the negative people are wrong. Ive moved around and Ive always made it work. Im still looking for info on Bend and would love to know more about the climate and job market and shopping options but so far people have not given me that info and just said dont move here. Stop trying to change people’s minds and actually be helpful or dont use this site.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:20 AM

320 posts, read 374,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliraiderette View Post
I didnt read all the replies to this thread as there are a lot, but I read about 3 pages of them. I was hoping to get some helpful info on Bend, as Ive been interested in moving there myself. I do actually agree that $900/month is a shocking budget to be looking for 3 bedrooms (even tho I take into account that this thread was started 3 years ago when Im sure rents were lower). What the OP is looking for would be about $3000-$4000+ in my area and thats for an apartment. If you are hoping to get a yard then its going to cost more. Once of the reasons I get sick of CA. People think Bend is expensive but clearly have never lived in Cali. Aside from NY we are so expensive. Our beautiful beaches and always sunny weather is the reason why of course. I have to say its disappointing to see how many posters told the OP not to come or say that she wont find what she wants here even after she made it clear the move was happening. Nobody can say anything positive! If someone is moving there why not be helpful rather than say dont come?? This is the experience Ive had myself on this site. No matter what people are negative with the exception of a few helpful people. And most of the time the negative people are wrong. Ive moved around and Ive always made it work. Im still looking for info on Bend and would love to know more about the climate and job market and shopping options but so far people have not given me that info and just said dont move here. Stop trying to change people’s minds and actually be helpful or dont use this site.
Yep...that's what most on here do I watched it happen on this forum for 5 years before I finally moved up here (to Portland) myself. They do that because the reality of it is, they don't want any more people moving to Oregon. The population has spiked over the last 10 years and it just keeps going up! Traffic is much heavier now, home cost have gone up etc. So locals and other transplants alike try to talk people out of moving here. Don't worry, it's not personal and they are pretty darn friendly once you actually get here! I have been here for over a year and half now, and everyone has been kind and welcoming. All the lovely negative talk is just City Data. However, on a side not, some of that "negative" info can be very helpful and might be truthful. If someone is moving here sight unseen, no job, with unrealistic expectations, they are honestly just trying to help. Over the years you tend to see a lot of people making rash moving decisions on here, just to later regret it and complain about the reality of their situation. So if you plan to move here it's good to research, research and research some more! Come visit during different seasons, then read all the good and bad things people have to say...making your own educated decision based on everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend