Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:13 AM

20 posts, read 64,403 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Bend and we love it! We are looking at the Pahlisch homes in Stonegate, off of China Hat in the SE part of town. Anyone have any experience with this builder?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,373 times
I think Pahlish is one of the better track home builders...... The realtors also told me that they will unethically raise the price of their home they are planning on building.

Hayden homes did this to me... Sold a "to be built" home right from under me.... and then said they will work with me on another "to be built home".... On THEIR website... the home was $147,990 but they offered it to me they wanted $3,500 More ($151,490) I refused to be ripped off (and yes I understand price increases).... but to do this while waiting on them is not acceptable..... This is like going to a grocery store.... putting a non-sale item in your cart and going to the register and it ringing up a higher price.... and the store response is.... take it or leave it.
Now on the MLS the home I was planning on having built (takes 6 months) is now.... $156,490 (a price increase of $8,500 in ONE MONTH).... and some fool will buy it!!

So what I am saying here is.... you don't know what the price for the new home is..... until you have a signed contract..... But I can guarantee you that it will be MORE than what they are advertising or what is on the realtors MLS.

Sorry.... I got on a Rant!!! But every Palish home I have been in has looks to be quality built

Wait One more rant..... Home lot sizes.... How small can we go... They are putting 2,000 sq ft homes on 3,000 sq ft LOTS !!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
Wait One more rant..... Home lot sizes.... How small can we go... They are putting 2,000 sq ft homes on 3,000 sq ft LOTS !!
Increased density and New Urbanism is all the rage in Bend.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Increased density and New Urbanism is all the rage in Bend.
Yeah reach out and touch someone... I think you could borrow some "sugar" from your neighbor and never leave home, just hand it out the window and into the home next door. LOL

Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM

241 posts, read 386,546 times
That's a really nice development over there. Be mindful if you have kids though as it's not exactly in a great district which is unfortunate otherwise I'd be looking there as well.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:21 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
Don't know anything about the builder, sorry! But Bends lot sizes are due to its strict and heavily regulated UGBs coupled with a base line PNW value system. What's funny is Bend is looked at as one of the worst in the State due to its huge growth over the last 20 years and developers looking for and exploiting any and all loop holes to get around it wherever possible.

Oregon requires every city to have an UGB that is approved by the state legislature. This was born out of a movement by conservative farmers who didn't want what happened back east and down in California to happen in Oregon. They wanted to be able to provide food for their cities without fret of being gobbled up by suburban sprawl development.

It's just the culture and value system up here. Some people love it. Others hate it....

What I think you'll notice is how European Bend and Oregon feels in comparison to the rest of the nation. You leave city limits in this state and there is, basically, nothing....till you reach the next city and even small towns like Bend have a very high density when compared to like sized towns throughout the nation.

Look around town over the last 2 years and you'll see urban infill everywhere. Bend is trying to up its density and it's working. I live in an older and more established area of Bend and even here there is a ton of 'infill' taking place. The only vacant lot downtown next to Bend Brewing Company just got an exemption to building higher than the 2-2.5 story limit.....the area just North of downtown is in process of being approved for much higher density builds....none of this is by mistake.

I'm really and truly not trying to beat a dead horse.....but the UGBs really do effect Bend and Oregon as a whole a ton.....if you've ever lived in a State that doesn't have strict UGBs like Oregon you definitely know exactly what I'm talking about. Or if you've been to State like Colorado and visited both Colorado Springs and Boulder you'll see the difference between regulated growth and less regulated growth and how this effects lot sizes and density. These two cities are only 1.5 hours from one another in the same Front Range corridor and the way they've dealt with growth is fairly stark.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-26-2014 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
What I think you'll notice is how European Bend and Oregon feels in comparison to the rest of the nation.
IMO Bend doesn't resemble or feel like anything I've experienced in Europe. New Orleans is about a million times more European than Bend!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
IMO Bend doesn't resemble or feel like anything I've experienced in Europe. New Orleans is about a million times more European than Bend!
Umm...within Bend and Oregon as a wholes city density and growth management I completely disagree with you which is the scope in which I was comparing.

Other scopes of comparisons are different.

Thanks for taking what I said completely out of context and using my words to fuel your continued negative narrative....AGAIN.

OP - you'll see a pattern with some posters in this forum. Welcome

Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks for taking what I said completely out of context and using my words to fuel your continued negative narrative....AGAIN.
Nope - nothing taken out of context. Here are your words in context.

Quote:
What I think you'll notice is how European Bend and Oregon feels in comparison to the rest of the nation.
What I'm saying is that I haven't noticed anything remotely European about Bend or Oregon. Not at all.

Quote:
Umm...within its density and growth management I completely disagree with you which is the scope in which I was comparing.
That doesn't change my observation that Bend and Oregon don't feel similar to Europe. Quebec is arguably the best example of a European-like area in North America

Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
What I'm saying is that I haven't noticed anything remotely European about Bend or Oregon. Not at all.
Which shows how little you know about the discipline of Urban Planning. I have a MA in Urban Planning from a University in....da da dummmm.....Europe....I also work with planning and zoning on a daily basis in Bend. Do you work with planning and zoning in Bend on a daily basis?

I'm not trying to make this a *blank* measuring contest, but you really and truly do not know what you're talking about and people need to know that.

I encourage new posters to review both of our histories when it comes to Bends housing market and come to your own conclusion

And again when you try to show the board that you're not taking my words out of context you show just how out of context you take them. Literally, you are taking the first sentence of my paragraph and refuting it while neglecting the context (the paragraph) of that sentence.

I'm done here, sorry.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-26-2014 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: