Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:38 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
6 moths ago I asked my Realtor about a home in Starwood, And would of put an offer in on it...... But there was a semi-high HOA fees there (if memory serves me... It was about $280 per 3 months) and for that $ you really didn't get much (other than have a heavy handed HOA).

All that being said, I would go check it out.... I think it is a nice area (South of Tumalo Rd around Gift Rd). The area to the north is Whispering Pines... and my realtor told me to STAY AWAY from that area it is known as Meth Mountain, Billy Goat Hill
We looked at a home in Starwood too and the HOA steered us away. It was expensive and there were just too many rules for us. The location is really nice though. I am not sure about the schools though. I would get confirmation about the school district, as I know Whispering Pines and Tumalo are both Redmond School District. I would be surprised if Starwood isn't.

We also looked at a home in Whispering Pines, but decided it a was a bit farther out of town that we wanted. I've heard the nickname "meth mountain" before as well. However, like DRW, there are nice homes in there. It's just a little more hodgepodge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM

86 posts, read 266,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
We looked at a home in Starwood too and the HOA steered us away. It was expensive and there were just too many rules for us. The location is really nice though. I am not sure about the schools though. I would get confirmation about the school district, as I know Whispering Pines and Tumalo are both Redmond School District. I would be surprised if Starwood isn't.

We also looked at a home in Whispering Pines, but decided it a was a bit farther out of town that we wanted. I've heard the nickname "meth mountain" before as well. However, like DRW, there are nice homes in there. It's just a little more hodgepodge.
We also checkout out a couple homes in Starwood and Whispering Pines, and decided to skip them for the same reasons (the biggest being distance from Bend). One big difference between Whispering Pines and DRW is that DRW has a lot more trees to help block the views of your neighbors, while Whispering Pines is much more visible. However, those same trees block most of the views in DRW, whereas in WP, the views of the surroundings can be awesome, depending on where your lot is.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:44 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkiaod View Post
What can you tell me about the neighborhood off tumalo rd...I think it's called starwood?........
Starwood is interesting in a mystifying way. Some one took a farm, 40 acres? 60 acres? and put a bunch of 1/3 acre lots in the very middle and designated the rest as common ground. So, you basically have a housing tract surrounded by open space that I have never seen anyone use.

However, the houses are nice and they are priced lower than comparable houses nearby. The only complaint I've heard about the area is that they aren't very kid friendly. As far as I know, it is in Bend school system.

Right next to Starwood is Rancho El Sereno. I've got property in there that i am saving for my retirement place to live. I think it is just about the best place in Central Oregon, for those of us who can't afford Tumalo. Tumalo is best, but quite expensive.

There is almost never anything for sale in Rancho el Sereno. There are a few old mobiles left that sell for high prices if and when they sell (not often). I've talked to a lot of people who own in there and they are the same as me. If their place is rented out, they won't sell it becasue it is their retirement place.

My preference for elementary school is Tumalo. In the village of Laidlaw there are some small lots with OK houses that sell relatively reasonable. People pay higher prices to get into Tumalo school, so those little houses cost more than they would in another neighborhood. But it is nice, down by the river and with the good school. I like the Tumalo store, too.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:49 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Whispering Pines isn't all that criminal. The issue with Whispering Pines is that people appear to be moving there when they can finally move out of town and they think that as soon as they have an acre, they are out in the country and can turn their kids and dogs loose to do whatever they want to do and drive their dirt bikes wherever they want to go. It's really rude.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:02 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times
Quote:
All that being said, I would go check it out.... I think it is a nice area (South of Tumalo Rd around Gift Rd). The area to the north is Whispering Pines... and my realtor told me to STAY AWAY from that area it is known as Meth Mountain, Billy Goat Hill
*** What I meant to say is...... The area around GIFT RD is Whispering Pines... and my realtor told me to STAY AWAY from that area it is known as Meth Mountain, Billy Goat Hill ***

I don't know why everyone likes Tumalo...... I was new to the area, and had a satellite install there, and immediately fell in love with the place.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:25 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Quote:
*** What I meant to say is...... The area around GIFT RD is Whispering Pines... and my realtor told me to STAY AWAY from that area it is known as Meth Mountain, Billy Goat Hill ***

I don't know why everyone likes Tumalo...... I was new to the area, and had a satellite install there, and immediately fell in love with the place.
Did you mean to say you "do know" why? Your statement is confusing?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times
On the rental side of the question - does anyone know what is happening today with 2+ bedroom homes for rent? A ton of applicants? Are landlords often raising rents at lease renewal?

Old 04-12-2014, 01:57 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times
Confusing..... Heck yea it is confusing (I tried to edit my original post, but I could not)

I like Tumalo.... Others like Tumalo..... and I am not sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Did you mean to say you "do know" why? Your statement is confusing?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:55 AM

10,064 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Mine went up a by $10 last year. Not too bad. We'll see what happens this summer when my lease is up, but my prediction is they'll raise it by $20 at least. Rents for vacant apartments are being listed for $50 more than last year.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Right now it could be easier to buy than rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend