Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 05:03 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,575 times

Advertisements

Today I received the TWO phone books from DEX
The first book is the traditional white and yellow pages and although it is small I can still read it with my glasses on.

The second is a SMALL yellow page only book..... and they reduced the size 33% from the 2013 book. It is now so small that even with my glasses on I can not read the phone numbers.
What are they thinking???? who looks at these "phone books" mostly older people who's eyesight is not usually the best..... This small yellow pages goes directly into the recycle bin as it is ZERO use to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
The fact that phone books are even given out anymore is an absolute waste of time, paper and money.

Sorry they reduced the font size and it's hard to read. I agree, the only people using them are the older demographic and smaller print doesn't really help....

Who pays for the DEX phonebooks anyway? (Not trying to turn this isn't a political thing at all, just genuinely curious) I'm guessing it's a private company that makes money off advertising, so it must be sustainable. It's just extremely odd to me.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:27 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
Yep, it is my understanding that they are totally paid by advertising.
Can't say I have used one in years though....

Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
I used them fairly frequently up until 2008 or so, when things like Yelp and Google maps started to surpass the yellow pages in finding a pizza place near you. I can't see the use for them now. I keep the newest ones as a reference, but it's a reference I never use.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:18 PM

740 posts, read 1,250,702 times
I usually search on line at home. I'll throw the small one in the car since I only have a "dumb" cellphone and sometimes need to look up an alternative business.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
This is a case of where the laws have not kept up with reality. The phone companies have to provide a phone book to all citizens. This came out of the days when Ma Bell wouldn't make phone books for rural areas where it wasn't cost effective to do so.

So, the only way to fix this is to contact your State and Federal Legislators and get them to repeal the laws. Or get a Ballot Measure going and start collecting signature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend