Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:08 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,422 times

Advertisements

Report of a cougar on the Phil's Trail Complex.

Got up and close with a cougar on ELV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 10:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times
Thanks for the update, seriously.

Seems like during the Fall and Spring we have the most sightings.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:31 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
Wow, scary! I've spotted a cougar once but it was when I was working for the Forest Service in Colorado. Talk about an eerie feeling.

I do have to laugh at some of the comments on the link though.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:29 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Must be the weather. They have them in Portland too.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:40 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,393 times
I've come across fresh prints in the dirt before, don't know how aggressive they are and if they approach people or keep their distance or not.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:36 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
There are at least 2 cougars living in Bend. One lives on Pilot Butte and the other lives in Buck Canyon. There might very easily be more of them that I don't know about.

Leave the cougar alone. Don't corner him. Don't try to pet him. Don't feed him. Don't let your dog try to chase him. Don't bother him and he won't bother you.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,393 times
pilot butte? really? I go up there all the time and haven't come across one. The prints i came across were at tamalok state park. I'm sure I spelled that wrong but its right along the Deschutes river.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
I've come across fresh prints in the dirt before, don't know how aggressive they are and if they approach people or keep their distance or not.
Definitely keep your distance. Chances are you will not see one. However, if it approaches you, you better be ready to defend yourself. They can be very aggressive! Here's a great link that explains what to do. Safety in Encounters with Mountain Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are at least 2 cougars living in Bend. One lives on Pilot Butte and the other lives in Buck Canyon. There might very easily be more of them that I don't know about.

Leave the cougar alone. Don't corner him. Don't try to pet him. Don't feed him. Don't let your dog try to chase him. Don't bother him and he won't bother you.
I've lived at the base of Pilot Butte for 6 years now and never seen any trace of the mountain lion. I did a little search and it appears the last time it was spotted near Pilot Butte was 2001. So my guess is it has moved out of the area. Stealthy NE Bend cougar escapes police perimeter » Bend Bugle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
pilot butte? really? I go up there all the time and haven't come across one. The prints i came across were at tamalok state park. I'm sure I spelled that wrong but its right along the Deschutes river.
I'm guessing you meant Tumalo State Park. It's just northwest of Bend, in the town of Tumalo. Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: Tumalo State Park

Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Dogs help Oregon couple fend off cougar attack

Quote:
The dogs began to growl and bark. Suddenly, the cougar jumped out from the shadows onto Corona, clamping its teeth around the dog's neck and shaking him.

Gigi, the German Shepherd, came to Corona's rescue and bit the cougar on its hind quarters.

"The animal let go of Corona and swung around for Gigi," said Wesley. "That's when I flashed my flashlight on it and saw it was a cougar."

The big cat's teeth were bared and its ears were pinned back as it swiped at the barking dogs. Wesley yelled to his wife, "It's a cat! Get the gun!"

Old 05-29-2014, 11:45 AM

The other night I was taking pics out at the Tumalo Nature Area which is a place to be wary of cougars. I didn't see any out there however I sure felt like I was being watched. But that could have been the badger that was keeping an eye on me. At one point he scared the crap out of me when he came within 20 feet while I was busy trying to focus my camera in the near pitch dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend