Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:06 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

My family was at Wickiup Reservoir last week. The campground is divided into two loops. One loop is mostly forest campsites and there are few lakeside campsites. The other loop has more lakeside campsites and the sites away from the lake mostly have lake views.

It's jackpine, so the forest is a bit scruffy, but campsites are nice, good tables, excellent fire rings, sufficient parking and most sites have pull-through parking, which is always a bonus. All the sites were extra clean.

Almost all sites have reservation tags for the memorial day weekend. The campground host told me that there are 80 sites and his busiest day ever, had 76 sites filled. I interpret that to mean that there is still a chance to get a site, even if you don't make reservations, but it isn't going to be the best site.

The majority of the sites right next to the lake were labeled "multiple occupancy" and they were $38 a night. No reason for it that I could see. No bigger parking, no additional tent pads. Some of them had 2 tables and some had 1 table, but the normal priced sites also varied in the number of tables.

We stayed in a very nice site, right on the lake that was not double priced. The lake is enormous and gorgeous, with a view of the Cascades beyond the lake. It's the High Cascades at its very best.

The loop with the mostly forest sites is either very stingy with the outhouses, or else they are extremely good at hiding them. I'm wondering what it is like with 40 campsites full of campers and only 3 single hole potties. The loop with mostly lake sites appeared to have the standard number of outhouses.

The throne in the outhouse is rather weird. My camping companion came back complaining about the outhouse, so it wasn't just me that thought so.

Still, beautiful campsites, gorgeous lake and gorgeous views, and all very close to home for a nice getaway weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Great post! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
Thanks for posting both of these, in fact you might just start a new thread and these would be good for reference for a lot of Noobies. Maybe the Mods can move these two into it.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 12,772 times
We stayed at Sheep Bridge Campground on the north end of Wickiup this past Sunday night into Memorial Day. We initially tried to find a spot to camp on the west side along a forest service road, but everything was either taken already, or blocked with debris (or muddy to the point of getting stuck). Folks said they'd arrived Wednesday night to get those spots. Ironically, we practically had the whole campground to ourselves by mid morning on Monday (all but a few campers bailed out by 10am).

Sheep Bridge was excellent. It's rather small, all dirt, no water, but there were a handful of sites available with nice tables and fire pits. Plenty of trees for privacy. We were camped on the south end of the campground, a very short walk to the water. We could even see the lake from our camp through the trees. Most of the fellow campers were fishermen (there's a decent dirt boat ramp on the north end of the campground).

This section of the lake is fantabulous for kayaking. There's a large island across from the camp, and several small streams were flowing along the opposite shore. My husband kayaked all the way up to where the river flows in briskly. Fishing up there was supposedly decent, but we saw/heard very little action elsewhere. We observed several bald eagles bickering at each other for quite some time while out in the kayaks.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhibb View Post
We observed several bald eagles bickering at each other for quite some time while out in the kayaks.
So cool. I would have loved to get a pic of that!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Wickiup was always one of my favorite camp and fish spots. I haven't been in a couple of decades. I used to hike to the top of the rim. I actually have some picture of me and the kids up there when I had hair.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:54 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Some of the good folks on OFF, camp & fish at Wickiup & Crane Prairie, etc...

Oregon Fishing Forum

Old 05-31-2014, 08:01 PM

When I saw OFF I thought you were talking about my Friends at OFF http://www.oregonfirearms.org/

A lot of us use Wickiup also.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:30 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Prescribed burn starting today, fyi: Prescribed burn planned near Wickiup Reservoir | News - Home

Old 06-02-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post

The smoke clears pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend