Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 AM

36 posts, read 56,968 times

Advertisements

All this is great info and I greatly appreciate all the comments although I apologize if I started a little spat, I'm just trying to research as much as I can now because my retirement will be here before I know it and I can't wait!!

Not worried about the CCW for me because as a cop and when I'm retired, I can carry my CCW in any state thanks to the law passed by Bush which was long over due! It was more for my wife who has a CCW in NV and would like to have one there as well but will have to go through the civilian channels since she is not in law enforcement.

The winters I can take and I love the cold but it's all up to what my wife can handle, she's the boss! lol We will be there the last weekend of August to get a feel then we will come in the winter and spring and see how the boss does!

Looking for something in between Washington and Vegas to be in-between and close to our kids but don't want the doom and gloom rain every day like Washington or on the coastal side of Oregon and don't want 10 feet of snow or painful cold like it is in Ohio, and I should have clarified I was closer to Cleveland which the cold of Erie is off the charts!! Again I'm so thankful for all your comments!

Another question for some help: We'll be there Aug 21-24, Suggestions on what to see in town ie some good eat spots, shopping etc? We'd like to do some hiking if there some nice waterfalls I've been hearing about to hike to or other good trails to get a good feel? Also are there large mouth bass in any of the lakes nearby or is it all trout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballjunkie326 View Post
All this is great info and I greatly appreciate all the comments although I apologize if I started a little spat, I'm just trying to research as much as I can now because my retirement will be here before I know it and I can't wait!!

Not worried about the CCW for me because as a cop and when I'm retired, I can carry my CCW in any state thanks to the law passed by Bush which was long over due! It was more for my wife who has a CCW in NV and would like to have one there as well but will have to go through the civilian channels since she is not in law enforcement.

The winters I can take and I love the cold but it's all up to what my wife can handle, she's the boss! lol We will be there the last weekend of August to get a feel then we will come in the winter and spring and see how the boss does!

Looking for something in between Washington and Vegas to be in-between and close to our kids but don't want the doom and gloom rain every day like Washington or on the coastal side of Oregon and don't want 10 feet of snow or painful cold like it is in Ohio, and I should have clarified I was closer to Cleveland which the cold of Erie is off the charts!! Again I'm so thankful for all your comments!

Another question for some help: We'll be there Aug 21-24, Suggestions on what to see in town ie some good eat spots, shopping etc? We'd like to do some hiking if there some nice waterfalls I've been hearing about to hike to or other good trails to get a good feel? Also are there large mouth bass in any of the lakes nearby or is it all trout?
Don't worry about the spat,Moderator cut: snip. For food Fusion 5 gets huge ratings, we love Anthony's, Gregs grill,
440 Wall, and many others, You won't go too far wrong. Tumalo falls is a great hike for seeing many waterfalls in a short time, close to town.

Last edited by delta07; 07-30-2014 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Please keep the discussion related to the OPs questions and not targeted at one member!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:43 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Don't worry about the spat, Moderator cut: snip. For food Fusion 5 gets huge ratings, we love Anthony's, Gregs grill,
440 Wall, and many others, You won't go too far wrong. Tumalo falls is a great hike for seeing many waterfalls in a short time, close to town.
Moderator cut: snip

Great suggestions, btw. I'll just add that most of our shopping is in the Old Mill district and downtown and many of our good restaurants are in that area too. Just off downtown on Galveston and Newport, too, but like whirnot said, it's hard to go wrong in this town with food.

I'd also second Tumalo falls. If you're up for a longer hike you can always check out the Deschutes River Trail (DRT). Depending on where you start you can hit many falls, ending with Benham falls. If you aren't up for a long hike, you can also just drive up to the Benham falls lookout spot. (just did a google search of Benham falls and WOW - those pictures do not do it justice!)

I know not about fishing, sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballjunkie326 View Post
Bend is a very very very good fit given this criteria. There are a few places I'd consider through Northern California too. Good luck!

Last edited by delta07; 07-30-2014 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: No need to address this publicly. The post you are referencing has been edited.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
3rd vote for the Tumalo Falls North Fork trail. Round trip it's 8 miles with a bunch of waterfalls. The DRT is another favorite hike close to town.

For the current report on fishing -

ODFW Recreation Report: Central Zone

For food -

//www.city-data.com/forum/bend/...laces-eat.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend