Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:50 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,658,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post

BTW, I'd guess any grocery located in NWX would be higher end and priced as such.
This is my exact thought as well. I don't often go to NWX, but happened to go to lunch over there yesterday with some friends who were in town visiting. I think the prices are higher than other similar places. I imagine that a grocery store there would be the same. West side, in general, does not equal cheap. If you want cheaper groceries, you'll have to most likely drive to one of the larger stores. I actually do quite a bit of shopping at Food 4 Less. I can find organic, local produce, baking goods, spices, etc there for a fraction of what I would pay at Newport Market or Whole Foods. But, I digress....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,265,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I think there will be a higher demand than projected because of Bend's well known beer and outdoor culture. Univ of MT in Missoula (a similar town) is somewhere around 15,000 students.
I was very surprised to look up how small University of MT was. 15,000 students definitely feels like a lot while in that town, I'll give you that.

A huge distinction would be Missoula is site to the flagship University in Montana. Like both Corvallis and Eugene are. Bend will be site to a satellite campus of OSU named OSU (Cascades).

OSU Cascades is already in Bend and it already has just under 2,000 students. They plan to have 5,000 by 2025. Reddog seems to work in higher education and he doesn't see them meeting those numbers. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
This is my exact thought as well. I don't often go to NWX, but happened to go to lunch over there yesterday with some friends who were in town visiting. I think the prices are higher than other similar places. I imagine that a grocery store there would be the same. West side, in general, does not equal cheap. If you want cheaper groceries, you'll have to most likely drive to one of the larger stores. I actually do quite a bit of shopping at Food 4 Less. I can find organic, local produce, baking goods, spices, etc there for a fraction of what I would pay at Newport Market or Whole Foods. But, I digress....
I agree, it'll definitely be high end. What was the first little grocery store up there like, before it failed? And did it fail during the housing crash?

I live within a rocks throw of Newport Market and unless I'm in the middle of cooking and need something, I avoid it like the plague, ha. I can't go there without spending at least $40 and I hardly ever buy much while there!! (outside of day to day shopping/pricing it's an amazing grocery and I love having it!)

Didn't know Food 4 Less had that type of local selection, thanks for the tip!

I heard through the grape vine Whole Foods was looking at the old Ray's location near the Westside Safeway. Don't quote me on that, I literally overheard it, nothing more.

DrySide: Update on the Hearing?

Last edited by kapetrich; 11-11-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 PM

456 posts, read 1,003,423 times
My understanding is the hearing was delayed. Have not heard the new date.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:59 PM

Proposed housing development west of Bend denied; Deschutes County hearings officer outlines concerns about wildlife and wildfire mitigation plans

Old 03-23-2015, 09:42 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,981,186 times
The US has millions upon millions of people living in earthquake, flood, tornado, and hurricane zones so hard to see how a 50 home development in the forest won't get approval.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:45 AM

Agree. The developer will provide required clarity and get approval. It will be interesting to see if Central Oregon Landwatch will appeal the eventual approval.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:27 AM

According to Bend Bulletin article, COLW Appealed the approval to LUBA because of fire and wild life concerns.

Miller Tree Farm proposal appealed to state board

Old 02-02-2016, 10:47 PM

Looks like the Tree Farm is moving ahead..

LUBA Appeal Settled

Old 10-02-2016, 07:53 PM

Lots now available for purchase..

Sales & Offer Documents – The Tree Farm

Old 10-02-2016, 08:26 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,981,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
Lots now available for purchase..

Sales & Offer Documents – The Tree Farm
Thanks for the link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend