Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,684 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get some feedbacks regarding La Pine OR. We're a family of 5 thinking about moving to Oregon but not sure if La Pine is the right move for us. We've looked into Bend but it's a little pricier than La Pine. Is there anything you can tell me about La Pine vs. Bend? The pros and cons about moving to la pine and Bend we like them both but I think Bend has more to offer. What's the best school district? Grocery stores? Malls? Hospital? ect.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:07 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
La Pine is a pretty area. Close to skiing on the back road to Mt Bachelor. Close to good fishing.

Lots of snow and roads and highway can be dangerous in the winter.

Not a lot of employment opportunities. Shopping is getting better. At lease you can get the basics now. There are a couple of decent, although not fancy, restaurants.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,684 times
Thank you. Can you tell more information on the Elementary and middle school? Is there a specific school/district better than others. My husband is a veteran. Where is the nearest VA hospital or outpatient clinic and also children's hospital. Thanks again

Old 08-27-2015, 10:48 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
I went ahead and moved this thread to the Bend subforum, as LaPine is in Deschutes County, which the subforum covers.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amym1222 View Post
Thank you. Can you tell more information on the Elementary and middle school? Is there a specific school/district better than others. My husband is a veteran. Where is the nearest VA hospital or outpatient clinic and also children's hospital. Thanks again
La Pine is a small town and the schools are part of the Bend-La Pine school district. There are only 2 elementary schools in La Pine and 1 middle school, so you are pretty limited on choice. I don't know that one elementary is better than the other. They are probably both very similar. Here's a map of the school locations in the district. Note La Pine. http://www.bend.k12.or.us/education/...ndetailid=1247

In terms of the VA, the nearest outpatient clinic is going to be in Bend. You'll need to go to Portland or Roseburg for an actual VA hospital. Here's a link with all the VA locations in Oregon. Oregon - Locations

I'm not sure where you're relocating from, but La Pine is a small town, with a population of around 1,700. There are a few stores, but certainly not a mall. You'll need to travel to Bend for that (and even Bend doesn't have a traditional mall). La Pine is much colder in Bend, especially at night & in the winter, with more snow as well. Something to consider. It is less expensive, but you'll have to weigh that against the numerous trips to Bend if you are wanting things to do outside of outdoor activities.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:37 AM

740 posts, read 1,241,766 times
We also looked at La Pine and thought it was too small, too cold and too far from Bend (sorry La Piners). We ended up in Redmond, 15 miles north of Bend and like it. Population around 26,000 and all the stores you need. A little warmer than Bend with less snow and median house price is $100K below Bend's.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,481,360 times
Personally, I love LaPine. Four seasons, small quiet community, beautiful area.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:49 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,415,372 times
What do you and your spouse do for work? Chances are the only jobs you'll be able to find will be in/close to Bend so if you lived in La Pine you would be commuting 30 miles one way to work each day. Bend has far more to offer a family so unless you're really wanting to live in a very small town would suggest Bend to be the better choice.

If you really don't want to be in Bend, I would second the above poster who mentioned you should look at towns north of Bend, such as Redmond. Closer to Bend and have a lot more to offer than La Pine.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:37 PM

224 posts, read 452,816 times
I live in La Pine. Nice little community in the trees. I like it, but if your looking for shopping, malls, and hospital access it's not for you. La Pine is listed as a population of 2000, IIRC. Not going to support any of that. Not sure how much of that is supported anywhere in Central Oregon.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:11 AM

57 posts, read 127,724 times
Just to add to the commuting information, in the winter the route from La Pine to Bend gets very icy and dangerous. There are always a lot of accidents. Something to consider if you are living in La Pine but working in Bend. We have friends that just moved from Alaska to La Pine, and bought a business in Bend. They're already wishing they had bought in Bend, due to their commute. Commuting from Tumalo or Redmond to Bend is a little less snowy and not quite as far (especially Tumalo, it's technically Bend).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend