Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,238 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I hate to be part of the saturation of these sorts of questions here, but I need a lot of advice about making a move from Alaska to Oregon. I appreciate any and all feedback.

First of all, I just want to mention that I've recently graduated college with a two humanities degrees (Literature and Philosophy), so I understand that my education doesn't make me particularly marketable. I'd like to continue working in the non-profit environmental conservation field, but I haven't noticed much demand for that, so I'm flexible for work.

Anyways, my friend and I are both in our early 20's. We both have good credit, and should have the necessary funds for the move come May 2016. I've never attempted to move out of state before, so I'm very stressed about a few things. One of those things is that relocating seems to be a catch-22; I'll struggle finding a job if I don't have a place to rent, and I'll struggle to find a place to rent if I don't have a job. I'm trying to prepare for everything that I can right now, but I feel lost in what I should be doing at this moment.

The other thing I worry about is the job market. I understand Portland is a highly competitive place, but how is Bend? Will I be struggling as much in Bend as I would be in Portland?

A lot of my anxiety is this: In order for me to get to Oregon, I have to ferry from Alaska to Washington, then drive down to Bend. I have a dog with crate anxiety, so flying isn't an option. What I thought about doing is flying down to Bend and try to sign a lease in person. I'm just not sure the best way to time all these things - should I fly down a week before I sign a lease (if even possible), two weeks, a month? I have to coordinate quite a bit a head of time before I even purchase my ferry tickets.

General advice for someone who is new to moving out of state is also greatly appreciated. I have a little over 5 months before I make this move, and I've been stressing out over details for weeks. I know, I'm a little neurotic.

If I have forgotten to include any important details, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:28 AM

150 posts, read 215,386 times
Hi ConserveNature! Welcome to the forums!!

My wife and I just moved to Bend from Seattle this past spring, so we just went through the process you're trying to figure out (although a little closer). I had my own business that I was moving, so didn't have to look for work (just new local customers), but if you can line up a job first, that would probably be the best way to do it, IMO

As for timing, we found a place on Craigslist about a month before our move and quickly drove down to sign the lease in person. We did have to pay double rent for one month, but figured it was better than not having a place when we moved. The rental market sounds pretty tight, depending on your price range, but it is doable.

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions, but good luck as you get closer to your move, it is exciting!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:35 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConserveNature View Post
The other thing I worry about is the job market. I understand Portland is a highly competitive place, but how is Bend? Will I be struggling as much in Bend as I would be in Portland?
I'd guess it will be more difficult to find a job in Bend.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
People with dogs can always get it figured out, so you should be OK with moving the dog.

I don't know of anything that your degree qualifies you to do. Maybe one of those government jobs where they require a college degree but don't care what the degree is? I suggest that you start putting in job applications right now.

There is some small manufacturing in both Bend and Redmond. There are service related jobs like pumping gas and waitress, and hotel maid. Occasionally, there is something at the college or with city government and those jobs are posted online.

Unless you have a huge amount of savings or an ultra-qualified cosigner, you are going to have problems obtaining a rental when you are unemployed. You will probably end up in a long stay motel until you can find a job.

There are enough rentals in Bend that accept pets that the dog isn't going to be a huge issue unless the dog is pitbull, in which case, you have a serious problem. Be aware that the vacancy rate is under 1%, so there will be a lot of people going for any rental that you are trying for.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:52 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConserveNature View Post
....... I'd like to continue working in the non-profit environmental conservation field, .........
There are a lot of non-profit environmental groups all over Oregon, but it is volunteer work, so that gives you something to do, but it doesn't solve your employment problem.

Try contacting the farm extension agent and ask if they know how to get in contact with local groups. The last time I checked, the extension agent for Bend was located in Redmond. You should be able to find him online.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener_Pastures View Post
As for timing, we found a place on Craigslist about a month before our move and quickly drove down to sign the lease in person. We did have to pay double rent for one month, but figured it was better than not having a place when we moved. The rental market sounds pretty tight, depending on your price range, but it is doable.
I should have roughly $8,000 or more by the time of the move, so I'm thinking that paying double rent shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. Thanks! I'll stick with my plan and fly down to Oregon with a list of rentals I'm interested in, but I'll probably do it a month in advance as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke
Unless you have a huge amount of savings or an ultra-qualified cosigner, you are going to have problems obtaining a rental when you are unemployed. You will probably end up in a long stay motel until you can find a job.
A long stay motel would be unfortunate, but only because I have my dog. Of course, beggars can't be choosers.

Like I said above, I should have a little over $8,000. Would this be satisfactory to most landlords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I'd guess it will be more difficult to find a job in Bend.
Based on the borderline post-apocalyptic descriptions of job availability in Portland, that's a concerning statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke
Try contacting the farm extension agent and ask if they know how to get in contact with local groups. The last time I checked, the extension agent for Bend was located in Redmond. You should be able to find him online.
Thanks for the recommendation! Volunteering is still something I plan on doing when I move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend