Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:09 PM

20 posts, read 79,588 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

So, I need help deciding where my family should move. I am 25, my husband is 33 and we have a 2 year old son. We currently live in Western NC, where we love to whitewater kayak, hike, mountain bike, and snowboard. The problem is that I've lived here all of my adult life, and I'm ready to try something new. I want an outdoorsy town that offers all of the above activities, but also has restaurants, shopping, good schools, friendly people, young families. The town we live in now has about 1000 residents. It's WAY too small for my taste. I want a bigger town, but not huge like Portland.
My husband has family in Bend, and we are going to visit sometime soon. I am curious, though. What can I expect? And does Bend sound like what I am looking for? If not, what are your suggestions? We were also thinking Missoula, MO. but I'm afraid it might be too cold. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,744,968 times
Since you are visiting anyway, you'll have a chance to see for yourself. The biggest problem in Bend is finding jobs that pay wages comparable to what your housing will cost. I'm not familiar with North Carolina, but there is usually some sticker shock on housing prices for people coming here from smaller areas in the south.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:21 PM

480 posts, read 2,459,535 times
Yes, Bend offers all of those activities that you list, but as PNW says, the job market is tight and housing is likely to be higher than you are used to seeing. If you are in a small town now, Bend's 75,000 population might seem really big. You might want to also consider some of the smaller towns in Central Oregon that will be less expensive than Bend such as Redmond and Prineville. It's good that you have a chance to visit before deciding - enjoy your trip to Oregon!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:50 PM

97 posts, read 502,259 times
Default Bend is NOT a big city

Bend is NOT a big city. It is NOT diverse. It is becoming LESS diverse as time goes by (wealthier,whiter); although some like that. It is a great place if you love skiing, hiking, rockclimbing, et.al. If you come visit Bend you might want to visit Palm Springs California because that is what it is destined to become. All around Deschutes county on the fringes of Bend are proposed yuppie subdivisions. It is a beautiful place. However if you like a big city you are in for a big disappointment. Bend is a safe place and would be good to raise a family. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM

170 posts, read 981,690 times
Coming from western NC, an enviornmental negative might be the lack of deciduous trees and green grass. I've never been to Bend, but it is a high desert climate.

Although it does look like a nice place. I'm considering a move there. I work in carpentry/construction/decorative contracting which seems to be booming there still I hope..

Old 02-13-2008, 08:04 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Lots of helpful information!

PNWhike: We're definitely not looking for a big city, but any place with more than 3 restaurants would be big to us. We live in a town of 1000, and the closest place with a population over 40,000 is Asheville, which is 1.5 hours away. I don't mind living without conveniences, but I want to meet other young parents. There are almost none here.

Bendite and PNW-type-gal: Thanks for info on the housing. I was looking at some real estate sites, and it looks like you can get a nice house for around $175,000 right outside of Bend. Is that realistic? If so, that's right on par with housing here.

windsurfing: My husband is also into carpentry and construction, so I'm hoping that he will find a good job out there. I currently manage a whitewater kayaking/rafting company, but I doubt there are many of those around Bend!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakera View Post
Bendite and PNW-type-gal: Thanks for info on the housing. I was looking at some real estate sites, and it looks like you can get a nice house for around $175,000 right outside of Bend. Is that realistic? If so, that's right on par with housing here.

windsurfing: My husband is also into carpentry and construction, so I'm hoping that he will find a good job out there. I currently manage a whitewater kayaking/rafting company, but I doubt there are many of those around Bend!
There are a ton of rafting places - it's very popular to raft the Deschutes, and there are also a lot of lakes in the Cascades that people kayak. Bend has a weekly paper called The Source which covers a lot of the outdoor sports.

I think you might have to really hunt the outskirts for a $175,000 house, but who knows, by next year prices might have dropped that much. Prices in town are not quite double that.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 AM

177 posts, read 966,827 times
Actually, there is a river rafting company called Sun Country Tours (Sun Country Tours: Central Oregon Rafting Trips - Enjoy White Water Rafting in Oregon near Bend, Sunriver & Sisters) and it looks like they are hiring. There are probably others in Bend too, but this is the only one I know of.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:12 AM

dachmom,

Thanks so much for the info! I'll check it out.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM

480 posts, read 2,459,535 times
Construction jobs are not good right now as the building boom has collapsed. There are jobs, but they are getting hard to find and I know some people who have lost their construction jobs and are now doing whatever they can to bring some money in. Much of the construction now is commercial rather than housing, so the right experience might still be marketable. There are some cabinet makers in the area that sometimes advertise for woodworking people. Water sports are big here, so that's a plus for you!

I would bet that a home selling for $175,000 is a mobile home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend