Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 02:01 PM

18 posts, read 37,761 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. I'm a Bend-based journalist who is writing a story about newcomers for Bend Magazine, a quarterly that launched last fall. The story is about the influx of newcomers to the Bend area in the last few years—who is moving here, why and how the city might change as the region grows. If you've moved to the area within the last 2-3 years and are willing to speak to me for the story please send me a private message with your contact info. Thank you very much.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:45 AM

285 posts, read 377,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens123 View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm a Bend-based journalist who is writing a story about newcomers for Bend Magazine, a quarterly that launched last fall. The story is about the influx of newcomers to the Bend area in the last few years—who is moving here, why and how the city might change as the region grows. If you've moved to the area within the last 2-3 years and are willing to speak to me for the story please send me a private message with your contact info. Thank you very much.
Very interesting !

Have you considered a story on why folks chose to not move to Bend?

That could be part 2 and would include me.

You'll find that a lot of folks will give answers such as, "We wanted to be in a quiet, safe place for our kids, in the trees, with mountains, snow, skate parks, and biking trails."

That's synonomous for the paradise syndrome. People move in search of paradise. When they don't find it (i.e. they discover that there are no jobs, only part time jobs, low wages, etc.), then they move back to where they came from.

That's Bend ! It's economy has not yet reached the point where it can support good wages for everyone. It's still a transient town.

Look at my profile and look at a lot of places I moved as a single guy that were in the paradise syndrome category, the transient city category. I've learned my lessons about that ! One exception. Scottsdale. It's part of Metro Phoenix, just the nicest part of metro Phoenix.

I have not yet lived in Carlsbad, CA. Someday maybe I can afford it. That's another place like Scottsdale, as the nicest part of the San Diego metro area. Since it is in a large metro area, then there are jobs and resources.

One place similar to Bend that has jobs and resources is Boulder, CO.- also Ft. Collins.

Bend, still "looks" like most cities in Eastern and Southern Oregon. A main 4 lane boulevard with stores and stop lights, no streetlights, no landscaping, inadequate bike lanes and sidewalks, the city does not have the economics in place to provide incentives to drive out the older hotels like the Days Inn, Econo Lodge, and Motel 6, and bring in some quality shopping areas and upscale motels, along with a major regional mall. Bend is like Flagstaff, AZ. In 10 years, both towns might look like Carlsbad or Scottsdale, or Durango, but with the good ol' boys running flagstaff and bend, I doubt it - since they don't like growth, period.

Last edited by theoaks; 05-14-2016 at 12:55 AM..

Old 05-14-2016, 01:40 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
I would be VERY interested in what jobs newcomers are getting & how they financed their move.

Last I checked, Bend only has 3 or 4 employers with over 500 employees. Among them are Bend-LaPine school district and St. Charles health system, so not many actual large BUSINESSES that actually provide services or make something. Where in the world are all these newcomers getting their money to afford life in Bend?

I know the cynical answer is that they are equity refugees from California or Seattle... but even if you sell your $900K house in the Bay Area & buy a $400K house in Bend & you had 50% equity so you net about $350-400K after taxes and closing costs, you still need income. You've got your house covered but how are you affording to live going forward? Subarus, kayaks, going out to the wine bar, knocking down a pint at a brewery,tickets to shows at Les Schwab amphitheater, season passes to Mt. Bachelor, all that costs money. Where are they getting it? That's what I don't understand.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I would be VERY interested in what jobs newcomers are getting & how they financed their move.

Last I checked, Bend only has 3 or 4 employers with over 500 employees. Among them are Bend-LaPine school district and St. Charles health system, so not many actual large BUSINESSES that actually provide services or make something. Where in the world are all these newcomers getting their money to afford life in Bend?

I know the cynical answer is that they are equity refugees from California or Seattle... but even if you sell your $900K house in the Bay Area & buy a $400K house in Bend & you had 50% equity so you net about $350-400K after taxes and closing costs, you still need income. You've got your house covered but how are you affording to live going forward? Subarus, kayaks, going out to the wine bar, knocking down a pint at a brewery,tickets to shows at Les Schwab amphitheater, seasjon passes to Mt. Bachelor, all that costs money. Where are they getting it? That's what I don't understand.

Excellent points! Where are they getting their money? And, what do they think the have the right to tell native eastern Oregonians what to do with their land, such as the urban growth boundary and the sage grouse?

Old 05-18-2016, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,050 times
Yeah, theoaks has it right. This town is a **** hole. No economic opportunities, no incentives for companies to move here, yada yada yada. Bend is only good for a week vaca. The "paradise syndrome" is great explanation, btw.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Yeah, theoaks has it right. This town is a **** hole. No economic opportunities, no incentives for companies to move here, yada yada yada. Bend is only good for a week vaca. The "paradise syndrome" is great explanation, btw.
The previous city council who was thrown out wanted to grow Bend into a thriving place for small businesses. Then the Portland liberals elected an anti growth council. Plus, the state land commissioner refused to allow the urban growth boundary to expand which would have allowed for new businesses.
If you want a place with outdoor recreation and a job, try Scottsdale or Carlsbad, Ca or thousand oaks, Ca. Lots of folks with the paradise syndrome there too, but they have jobs.
Or, just stay in the Willamette Valley since those land commissioners are tyrranical and also overly concerned about the sage grouse.
By now, Bend should have 120,000 persons, and hwy 97 through town should be packed with every single major chain and luxurious hotels and resorts, like Scottsdale.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:41 PM

Previous Bend City Council.

Pro-Growth.

Pro-New-High-Tech-Start-Ups.

Pro-Environment.

Pro-Bike Lanes.

Pro-Parks and Pro-Open Space.

Great People.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:37 PM

Unfortunately, they were voted out.
Now, councilors with an anti-growth, Eugene mentality have taken their place.
The Willamette Valley does just fine from Corvallis to just shy of Portland. But anything south of Corvallis to Eugene, and now also Bend, is controlled by anti-growth idealistic zealots - like in Eugene, Piercy et. al. - https://www.eugene-or.gov/537/Mayor-and-City-Council All that meth, really screws up the majority of Oregonians, except Corvallis to just shy of Portland in that northern Willamette Valley. The new libs in power in Bend will not drive meth out of the city. The only way to drive meth out of a city is with rapid economic growth, such as Irvine, CA.

The fact that this board is getting attention from someone in AZ shows that down here we know that Bend can do much better, and that the State of Oregon's land use rules are preventing rapid expansion and wealth creation. I've been all over Oregon many times and it is an underpopulated, economically impoverished state, controlled by about 10 land use personnel in the state capital who control all city councils by way of the LCDC. Oregon, has plenty of water and can grow to 8 million persons if it ever wants to, with most of that east of the Cascades where air pollution won't get concentrated in the Willamette Valley. You will have interstate 11, which will either go from Phoenix to Idaho, or. Phoenix to Bend.

Last edited by theoaks; 05-22-2016 at 06:52 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 12:34 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
This thread degenerated rather quickly, got a bit off topic and is now closed. The OP asked for direct messages to be sent, so please do that if you'd like to state your voice. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend