U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:23 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,144,484 times

Advertisements

Fewer people go east because it's hot, dry, and so darn dusty. The most popular mountain hikes are probably South Sister and Green Lakes. Another hike with lots of people and bikes is the DRT. They are all slammed during the peak summer period. IMO the popular hikes have become progressively more crowded, even during the recession, because the tourist driven PR is working so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 10:32 AM

708 posts, read 889,093 times
Central Oregon rental vacancy rate is 1.04%. Out of 4,996 apartments, duplexes, triplexes, houses and manufactured homes only 52 were vacant. For Bend apartments the vacancy rate is 0.62%, Redmond 4.5%.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:06 PM

5,605 posts, read 3,980,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
Central Oregon rental vacancy rate is 1.04%. Out of 4,996 apartments, duplexes, triplexes, houses and manufactured homes only 52 were vacant. For Bend apartments the vacancy rate is 0.62%, Redmond 4.5%.
Wow, that's pretty good for Redmond, almost a "normal" vacancy rate. Did they build some new units?

Old 06-05-2016, 08:13 AM

I've seen a few more stick houses go up, but not rentals. In July they will break ground on a rent controlled unit for seniors next to the Lowes. I assume the vacancy rate is due to normal churn. Population is about 28,000 now.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:15 AM

22 posts, read 24,648 times
Thats crazy about the vacancy rates of rentals. My hope is that if we do decide we want to make the move, is to come out for about a week in advance solely dedicated to finding a place. I've pitched the idea to my wife of buying a pop up camper and camping for a month or two while we wait to buy - and then we also have a camper. But unfortunately cant convince her!

In regards to the trails, Im an early riser so that all sounds great. One thing I like about Bend is that I am a huge fan of desert landscapes. The thought of being able to go west and be in mountains, and even further west to the coast - and being able to go east to the desert is great! Some of the best campsites I've ever been to were on the eastern side of Yosemite between Lake Mono and Death Valley.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:10 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,589,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
Ill be there in a couple weeks to check out the area. What Im curious about is perspectives on traffic and crowded trails. I left Boulder about 2 years ago and thought the trails were crowded, tons of users and self rightous runners and bikers. However, I tend to go to the mountains on the weekends to explore the high country. Here you would run into people on trails but they were not necessarily crowded. I was in Boulder in March and we went to Hall Ranch to ride, the front range has blown up in the last few years even more so and it was to the point where there were lines of people going up the trail. Even camping wise in Colorado, if you want to get a primitive camp site anywhere, you better go on Thursday b/c after that finding a palce to camp is shear luck. Which brings me to my next point, is it only the local trails - say within 30 minutes of the city that get crazy? I ride local after work, and usually go out 1-2 hours on weekends.

To the next point, the traffic...

Has anyone ever driven I-70 from Denver to Summit county? Should be maybe 1.5 hour drive, at times it can take 3-7 hours depending on a number of factors. Even in the summer, when there is no snow it probably is an average 2.5+ drive. Whats the drive like to Mt. Bachelor in the winter like? I assume it probably can take a bit longer than normal?

So is traffic all that bad, or is it just bad compared to what it was say 5 years ago? Even where I live now, if I go out at rush hour it can take 25 minutes to go 5 miles.
I grew up in Denver and still go back to visit family at least once a year. It has definitely exploded in growth and the traffic there is insane. I-70 is horrendous! Bend isn't nearly as bad as that, but I am really scared it's heading in that direction. My friend who just moved here from the Boulder area said the realtor he is working with here says they are predicting a 40% increase in population in Bend in the next 10 years. Bend's infrastructure already cannot handle the population we have now, so this kind of growth is going to make Bend feel like Ft. Collins or Boulder.

As far as camping goes, it's hard to find a place here on the weekends too, even traveling out 1-2 hours. You'll pretty much have to go east. In the summer, camping in the desert is brutal, so you'll want to travel to the pockets of mountains or the NE part of the state, which is about 6 hours from Bend. Otherwise, you'll need to reserve a campsite for the weekend around here or get out by Thursday to find the primitive sites.

And traffic is bad here. It's our infrastructure. As Oregonwoodsmoke stated, there just aren't any roads that are wider than 2 lanes going east/west, which creates a huge congestion problem and bottleneck heading west. During peak traffic times it can take upwards of 20 minutes or so to go 5 miles. If you recreate on the weekends, like most people, the road up to Mt. Bachelor can get insane, especially in winter. On many occasions this winter it would take over an hour, which is crazy. I'm lucky and we ski, hike, bike, etc. during the week.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:56 AM

5,605 posts, read 3,980,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I grew up in Denver and still go back to visit family at least once a year. It has definitely exploded in growth and the traffic there is insane. I-70 is horrendous! Bend isn't nearly as bad as that, but I am really scared it's heading in that direction. My friend who just moved here from the Boulder area said the realtor he is working with here says they are predicting a 40% increase in population in Bend in the next 10 years. Bend's infrastructure already cannot handle the population we have now, so this kind of growth is going to make Bend feel like Ft. Collins or Boulder.

As far as camping goes, it's hard to find a place here on the weekends too, even traveling out 1-2 hours. You'll pretty much have to go east. In the summer, camping in the desert is brutal, so you'll want to travel to the pockets of mountains or the NE part of the state, which is about 6 hours from Bend. Otherwise, you'll need to reserve a campsite for the weekend around here or get out by Thursday to find the primitive sites.

And traffic is bad here. It's our infrastructure. As Oregonwoodsmoke stated, there just aren't any roads that are wider than 2 lanes going east/west, which creates a huge congestion problem and bottleneck heading west. During peak traffic times it can take upwards of 20 minutes or so to go 5 miles. If you recreate on the weekends, like most people, the road up to Mt. Bachelor can get insane, especially in winter. On many occasions this winter it would take over an hour, which is crazy. I'm lucky and we ski, hike, bike, etc. during the week.
40% if the economy doesn't fall apart I suppose. Remember we lost a few thousand people during the recession.

I really don't know how the roads will handle it if it does happen. It's already like driving through purgatory on a lot of the roads in Bend. The city council seems to have thrown up its hands after the gas tax failed. I guess their plan is to wait for the population to get upset enough to force some movement.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:54 AM

213 posts, read 455,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
Hows everyone doing? Im considering a move to Bend and have been doing a lot of reading, seems to me that people either love or hate the place, furthermore, where you are from seems to tie into that as well. I think I will love the place, and will be visiting in a couple weeks. I currently live in the midwest, but have lived in Georgia and Boulder as well. Absolutely hate the midwest, cold winters, with no real winter sports. I am a mountain biker in the summer, snowboarder in the winter. I also like fly fishing, hiking, camping, and good beer!

First off, let me say, I do have a job, I work from home with an annual salary of around $80k, however, my wife does not. She has done many administrative type roles. From what I've read jobs are very scarce, however, my question is, how hard is it to find a job in the $15-20 an hour range for an experienced, motivated job seeker?

Second, the housing market. Do you all feel Bend is on an upward trend, downward, or stable? We will be renting at first, but hope to buy within a few months of being there. I've been looking at houses and we will be looking in the $250 - 300k range so it seems we will be living on the east side of town. That being said, I've read that many of the newer houses were built poorly and quickly - is this a common belief or is there any real evidence to support that? Many of the houses we have seen online seem to be new and nice, but do not have any real backyard. Are there many options availalbe for slightly older homes with semi private backyards (meaning having trees and not 5 houses that can see into your yard)?

Last - What is the current rental market like? This is one of my primary concerns, trying to find a short term lease with 2 dogs and a cat. How hard is this going to be? We currently pay $1550 in rent, and I have seen many places in that range. Is it realistic to be able to find a 2 BR house or apartment in that range?

Any other info. would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!
Bend is overpriced, always has been. Growing up, we always referred to it as "poverty with a view." Depending on what exactly you're looking for in terms of rural vs. city, stores etc...check out Culver, Madras, Crooked River Ranch, Terrebonne, Tumalo. You may even try La Pine and Prineville, if nothing more than for comparison's sake.

Renting with dogs, or any animal, sadly is incredibly difficult. For a state that's so dog-friendly, it's rentals surely are not. I'd say for every 15 rentals I've seen online, only one says "pet considered", and it's a dog smaller than 20lbs. You may look into buying a house before you move here, that seems to be the only way to get around the renting with dog(s) issue.

The rental market is tough. I am noticing rentals are staying online for no more than 1-2 weeks, and even then, there's a waiting list. Even in podunk Culver and Madras.

Just as an FYI, if you're checking out homes on Craigslist, there's a ton of scams. What I've started doing is putting the pic of the house into Google image search, so I can find where it originated from.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:13 AM

We considered renting until we found a place we liked here. But we had so much "stuff" after living in our last house for 34 years, that we decided we would be throwing rent money away as well as the cost of moving twice and probably paying for storage for much of it. Of course, we were retired, with cash from the sale of our mortgage-free home, so our situation was different. I'd suggest looking into doing the same thing however - buy a home in Redmond (no tourists, very little traffic) and spend a year looking around the area to see if you would rather buy somewhere else. Solves the pet problem too. While you are looking, your equity is (hopefully) going up. We bought this nice 3/2 for under $200K 2 1/2 years ago and could probably get $275K or more for it now.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:54 AM

22 posts, read 24,648 times
So for you guys who have lived in Colorado, would you say this is a correct analysis? Redmond is to Bend, what Longmont is to Boulder? Thats kind of what it seems like to me. Is there much in between? Are there any bike trails, restaurants, breweries, etc. in Redmond? Or would you have to drive to Bend for that?

Ill definately make the drive up to Redmond when we are there to have a look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or