Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 PM

351 posts, read 1,279,707 times

Advertisements

I have a stick built home built in 2005 in escrow in La Pine (bend) and all I can say is that I got it for far LESS than the owner paid for it in 2005 and the owner put at least $10,000 in improvements in it.

There is a point to how far it will go down...... I got the house for builder COST and got the lot for 1/2 the price of what other lots (1/2 acre) costs.....

BTW I did not buy a foreclosed / short sale home..... It was easier and a better deal to buy a home from a home owner vs a bank...... IE: the best deals may not be bank owned properties! My seller was really MOTIVATED!! and I offered $35,000 below his asking price of $169,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:15 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,475,158 times
Yes, homes in Bend are still going down in price. Who knows how far they will fall. It isn't Phoenix, Detroit or Cleveland but...

I hope you don't need a job.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,331 times
Default bend housing

Housing prices have dropped. However, unemployment is near 17% for the area. Like many areas, city and county services are being cut, schools are underfunded due to property taxes being the main source of income for schools. Teachers are being cut, programs eliminated. It's May the 4th and we're having a typical Central Oregon spring...temps in the 45-60 degree range with rain or snow. Consistent good weather kicks in about mid June. There is little sense of community here, as 50% of the population (including me) has moved to Bend in the last 8 years. If you do not have a reliable income source or job lined up, I'd say stay put.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,658,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asheardream View Post
we are currently living in hawaii born and raised on maui we want to move to bend and on craigs list the prices of homes are rediculously cheap is it still going down?? should we wait a year and where is the nearest hospital??
Prices are very low right now. If you can afford it and have a job, I think it's a great time to buy. Of course, no one really knows whether Bend has hit bottom. It just depends on your comfort level in the current economy.

The nearest, and only hospital in Bend is St. Charles Medical Center in the NE part of town. We just bought a house about a mile from the hospital in an older, established neighborhood and got a screaming deal.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:00 PM

456 posts, read 1,003,423 times
Bend prices continue to fall. Average is just above $100 sq.ft. Job losses continue to mount so I see no reason to believe home prices have hit bottom. Better to sit on the fence a while longer.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 AM

456 posts, read 1,003,423 times
Love the RE spin on this one:

Once booming, Bend, Oregon tumbles (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D983H9JG1.htm - broken link)

Old 07-03-2009, 01:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,143,957 times
I'm planning to relocate within the year and Bend is one of 4 or 5 places on my list (all in OR and WA). Just out of curiosity, I checked the median housing price charts on city-data.com for the places I'm considering, and Bend is the only one that dropped in the first quarter of this year. Which is not to say it will continue dropping, but it seems to be lagging on the upswing.

The prices are getting awfully attractive, and I'll be telecommuting, so the job is not an issue...I'm just balking at the winter. My only visits have been in the summer, which was gorgeous.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,658,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
I'm planning to relocate within the year and Bend is one of 4 or 5 places on my list (all in OR and WA). Just out of curiosity, I checked the median housing price charts on city-data.com for the places I'm considering, and Bend is the only one that dropped in the first quarter of this year. Which is not to say it will continue dropping, but it seems to be lagging on the upswing.

The prices are getting awfully attractive, and I'll be telecommuting, so the job is not an issue...I'm just balking at the winter. My only visits have been in the summer, which was gorgeous.
I would definitely plan your next trip for Bend in the winter, say around January or February, to see what you think. Winter is pretty long here. If you're not sure you can handle the snow and cold try spending at least 2 weeks. That should be your deciding factor!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 PM

279 posts, read 1,081,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I would definitely plan your next trip for Bend in the winter, say around January or February, to see what you think. Winter is pretty long here. If you're not sure you can handle the snow and cold try spending at least 2 weeks. That should be your deciding factor!
VERY good advice - DH and I spent a week in Bend in February and determined that cold combined w/ the length of the winters in Bend would not work for us. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
VERY good advice - DH and I spent a week in Bend in February and determined that cold combined w/ the length of the winters in Bend would not work for us. Best of luck to you.
I'm afraid that might the case with me, too. I've only visited in the late spring, and even then, the road to Newberry was still closed due to snow. I suspect I'd be better off with more gray and rain and less cold; having lived in San Francisco for 17 years as an adult, I KNOW I can deal with that. However, if I relocate to the Portland or Eugene areas, Bend is a place I can visit more easily than from where I am now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend