Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:56 PM

95 posts, read 416,568 times

Advertisements

We've been thinking about moving to the Bend area & were told a few months ago that prices for some reason hadn't started to drop yet. Just wondering what the current outlook is? Any affordable new housing in any particular areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 05:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,466 times
Yes, they are.

I think people are clinging to the hope that somehow, their particular area is immune to the real estate slowdown, so there may be some resistance. But I have family who stays very abreast of RE property in Bend, and they have unequivocally told me prices are dropping. Maybe right now only significantly on the ultra-high-end, but they are coming down. There's no demand (see Roger Pollock's December auction with IIRC 19 homes in Bend...NOT ONE sold).

Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 AM

53 posts, read 267,200 times
Default Amazing, John Shaft...

Wasn't Bend about the hottest market in Oregon two yrs ago???What's the RE markets in Portland, Salem & Eugene doing???

Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal93 View Post
We've been thinking about moving to the Bend area & were told a few months ago that prices for some reason hadn't started to drop yet. Just wondering what the current outlook is? Any affordable new housing in any particular areas?
Prices are dropping, not so much on the really high custom-home end, but the somewhat high, mid and lower end housing is coming down. One of the better large development builders, Renaissance Homes, is having some issues with their financing of a couple of their developments here, but they do a nice job and they build green to some extent. They have a development in SW Bend and one on the NW side. The NW development is called Shevlin Pines (they are more upper-end homes but I think they are open to cutting deals because the homes and sites are just not selling) Another builder is Pahlish Homes and they have a couple of new developments on the east side. There are a few smaller builders doing little groups of homes. I saw the other day that there are three or four small developments going in on the NW side on a street called O.B. Riley Road.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM

95 posts, read 416,568 times
I check responses to this question every couple of months in hopes that someone says prices are finally coming down substantially. If housing in Bend is so overpriced it seems that the prices will fall any time now. The prices here in Las Vegas have dropped about 25% over the last 12 months! No point moving unless it's to a place that has also dropped A LOT. Any observations?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 AM

Prices continue to drop here, though maybe not as sharply as in other areas. It's definitely a buyer's market. Everyone has an opinion on where the market will go from here. I think there may be a leveling off during summer months and then prices will start to go down again. Realtors here say this is a great time to buy, but then they are probably starting to worry about how they'll make their next Lexus payment.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,125 times
I too have been watching the Bend market closely, as my husband and I plan to relocate there in the next few months. We are thinking about renting at first, especially if we can find a short term rental. However, we would like to buy either on the west side, or near Pilot Butte. It seems as though those areas tend to remain high. The far northern or southern ends of town have reasonable prices, but they are also further from the center of town and work (hospital). We would like to live someone within walking or biking distance from downtown and the hospital. Is this possible on a $250K budget?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
I would think new, empty houses would be hard to move right now (and hence lower prices), but that existing houses may not be dropping too fast. Bend has a pretty stable economy and a lot of money flows there so there may not be as many sub prime loans and foreclosures. Some, to be sure, but not like Portland/Vancouver.

That said, I'd contact from banks and see what foreclosures they may have and make a bid.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:02 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
Check stop foreclosure real estate for at forclosures.com Deschutes County, Bend for the real scoop.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I too have been watching the Bend market closely, as my husband and I plan to relocate there in the next few months. We are thinking about renting at first, especially if we can find a short term rental. However, we would like to buy either on the west side, or near Pilot Butte. It seems as though those areas tend to remain high. The far northern or southern ends of town have reasonable prices, but they are also further from the center of town and work (hospital). We would like to live someone within walking or biking distance from downtown and the hospital. Is this possible on a $250K budget?

My daughter & son-in-law just looked at a house in foreclosure that sold 18 months ago for $325k and the asking price now is $199k - east side, large yard, 3 bd. 2 ba, nice condition - so, yes, it is quite possible; probably more opportunities on the east side than on the west side for under 250k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend