Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
yes I referenced that a couple posts ago?
Did you read that specific page about the Bend Bulletin article? Did you see that the author of the blog states that he has lived in Bend 25+ years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Did you read that specific page about the Bend Bulletin article? Did you see that the author of the blog states that he has lived in Bend 25+ years?
Yes I have looked over his Blog, guessing he liked Bend 25 years ago when he decided to move there? it was very different then ? since then he developed his "bendsuxs" identity. Wonder why he hasn't posted since August 2012? Did he finally move? Die?

I find his old blog humorous, not informative and the 25+ years in Bend meaningless and of as much value as the chamber of commerce 300 days of sunshine.

Having found regular posters helpful and honest on this forum, ready to answer questions about the place they live. Not sure why you keep linking to the old "bendsuxs blog" and how that helps forum browsers learn anything of value?

You have referenced number of years in a place = good long term perspective, I agree with you which is why I have asked you over and over and over how many year you have lived in Bend? And now that you said you lived in the MA how long and where?

Old 08-19-2013, 03:47 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
I read the blog. I didn't find it to be accurate and was more of a rant against the press than anything else.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM

That recent link discusses the weather cycle of long winters and short summers. Useful information IMO.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,056 times
Quote:
That recent link discusses the weather cycle of long winters and short summers. Useful information IMO.
10 years in Bend and 15 in the MA is good to know, thanks for posting... then deleting?

Did not know anyone was questioning Bend has long winters and short summers? Why is that a news worthy info ?

Are there large numbers of people relocating to Bend because they think it has long summers and short winters?

One of the longer ski seasons in the country is common info for anyone researching Bend.

I am moving to Bend because I would much prefer to get tired of a long winter than tired of a long, hot and humid summer like I have been doing here all of my life.

I need something new to whine and complain about.. Bend winters should do the trick...

Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
While I have stated many times on this forum, that Bend doesn't have a sunny winter overall, I also have stated that it's sunny compared to many other places in the country. I'm not sure what BendLocal's point is with the recent comments, or than to argue with Snownut about what he wants and expects. The link to the Bend sux blog really doesn't prove anything, as there is no link to the actual bulletin article. It also stated that the author of the Bulletin article was a newspaper columnist, which means it was an opinion piece!

PNW-type-gal gave a good synopsis of climatic regions in Oregon. I'm pretty sure no one is arguing that Bend doesn't have a long winter. Just like no one is arguing that we have a short summer.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:30 PM

My point was that anyone expecting 255+ days of sun or part sun may be disappointed.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 AM

740 posts, read 1,249,855 times
Depends what you're looking for I guess. We're trying to move from Conifer CO to the Bend area. We seem to have far more sunny days here but we also get an average of 137.42 inches of snow a year. Conifer will often get more snow in a week than Bend does all winter. In March 2003 we got over 7' of snow in 3 days! Less snow, plus a lower altitude, make central Oregon look desirable to us.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 AM

That is a lot of snow to shovel! Too much for me.

I still have to shovel although its not so bad most years. Yes there is the random storm cycle that pays a visit once in a while and leaves me with a sore back. The snow is often heavy and wet so moving it takes some effort. And because of the high moisture content it packs into ice easily so driving around town after a snow storm can be a challenge.

The micro climates result in 300+ inches of snow just 20 miles from town which is great if you enjoy outdoor winter activities. IMO the main downsides with the PNW winter storms up in the mountains are the reduced visibility due to the heavy fog and the high winds that accompany many of the storms.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
That is a lot of snow to shovel! Too much for me.

I still have to shovel although its not so bad most years. Yes there is the random storm cycle that pays a visit once in a while and leaves me with a sore back. The snow is often heavy and wet so moving it takes some effort. And because of the high moisture content it packs into ice easily so driving around town after a snow storm can be a challenge.

The micro climates result in 300+ inches of snow just 20 miles from town which is great if you enjoy outdoor winter activities. IMO the main downsides with the PNW winter storms up in the mountains are the reduced visibility due to the heavy fog and the high winds that accompany many of the storms.

I definitely agree with you on both of these. I didn't understand why everyone puts studded tires on in the winter here until I started driving in it. I still don't have studs, but I did have an accident, for the first time, because of the ice. I slid right into a curb and did some major damage to my vehicle.

The PNW storms are brutal, IMO, and I don't like skiing during storm cycles. I enjoy the powder, although it's heavier than what I'm used to in Colorado, but it's still good snow at Mt. Bachelor. It was rare to ski a 12"+ powder day in CO, whereas that's somewhat common here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend