Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Ok now you are just showing off! AWESOME!!!
I aim to please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener_Pastures View Post
Those are sine awesome pics!!! Thanks for sharing those resources and for all the tips everyone. I'm definitely feeling positive about being able to continue my newest hobby after making the move - it just might involve a little more work on my end.
Yes, it definitely can be done. One thing to consider, if gardening is truly important to you, is to remember Bend has quite a few micro-climates. I happen to live in one of the areas of town where gardening is a bit easier. My neighborhood is called the Orchard District. Here's a little bit of history about our neighborhood, which explains why gardening is more successful here than in other parts of Bend. History - Orchard District Neighborhood Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 04:55 AM

722 posts, read 1,352,963 times
Delta thanks for sharing your photos.

We are really focused on buying a home in the Orchard District, seems like a good value, close to everything yet outside the tourist circles. Noticed community of garden plots in Hollinshead Park. That is close to where we hope to buy. Anyone know how that works? Depending on what property we buy we could end up with a lot in the trees with little or no sun? so tinker gardening my be limited to something like Hollinshead ?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post

We are really focused on buying a home in the Orchard District, seems like a good value, close to everything yet outside the tourist circles. Noticed community of garden plots in Hollinshead Park. That is close to where we hope to buy. Anyone know how that works? Depending on what property we buy we could end up with a lot in the trees with little or no sun? so tinker gardening my be limited to something like Hollinshead ?
I live very close to Hollinshead Park. The garden plots are on a first come, first serve basis. I have a feeling it can be competitive to get your garden plot, as I know they expanded the plots a few years ago. Here's some info about it. Hollinshead Community Garden | OSU Extension Service - Deschutes County

There is a new community garden going up near Juniper Fitness too, by the round-a-bout on NE 8th/9th and NE Franklin. Just found an article on the local news station about that. New community garden sprouts in NE Bend | News - Home

And, Northwest Crossing also has a community garden. More can be found in the first link provided, through the county extension office.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:55 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
If you choose to do zucchini or a squash, plan on trimming it back constantly. It will try to take over your other plants (and sometimes wins). Make sure to plant it around an edge. You could also plant it in a separate pot that you can place in a location that it won't take over the other garden. But it will take over the grass or whatever you have surrounding it. This year I am only planting 1 zucchini. This was 2 zucchini, 1 crookneck yellow squash and 2 cucumbers in the one bed. It was just too much for us to handle. I do think that these plants tend to take the amount of space you give them. This was a large bed dedicated to those 5 plants. I also didn't trim back for those almost 2 weeks I was gone. One thing to consider is that zucchini is not cold hearty. However, by the time the freezes hit, we were so sick of it that I didn't care if they died.

I think your garden is a perfect size, and actually I'm looking to pare down from last season. My back is still healing from my herniated disc, so I really can't work in the garden like it needs to keep up with the size I have. I perused through the square foot gardening book a few years ago when I took the gardening class offered through COCC's community learning. It's a great method and I'm sure you've been happy with it!
So, with this advice I decided to start cleaning out the old dirt from the three wood barrels I have near my grill. I've been planting flowers in them since I moved here that do pretttty well, but I'm constantly weeding them since the original owner didn't take care of the soil very well. Once I'm finished cleaning them out (there's three) I'm going to put some good soil in them and plant some squash and zucchini. I feel like the barrels will do well in limiting their growth and creep.....has anyone ever grown zucchini or squash in barrels before?

The biggest down side to this is I will have to manually water these barrels every day which I bet will enviably kill them. The automatic watering system I have set up was absolutely crucial to my success last summer. If you go on vacation even for 4-5 day stint and don't water the high desert will dry up your plants fast especially if they get a lot of sun.

Has anyone tried strawberries or Oregon strawberries? One of my barrels gets that west facing afternoon sun for 8+ hours.....trying to think what would do best with that type of HEAVY sun exposure.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Yes, it definitely can be done. One thing to consider, if gardening is truly important to you, is to remember Bend has quite a few micro-climates. I happen to live in one of the areas of town where gardening is a bit easier. My neighborhood is called the Orchard District. Here's a little bit of history about our neighborhood, which explains why gardening is more successful here than in other parts of Bend. History - Orchard District Neighborhood Association
This is really important. I live on the west side and I have more frost risk whenever we get a colder front in the summers. For me, it's one the bigger downsides to where I live.

3 years ago I did a garden tour with Locavore and we stopped in a communal housing development in the Orchard District. It was REALLY neat. Everyone had their own house, but they were all connected to a large garden plot (essentially a small farm and greenhouse set up), sauna, common kitchen and eating area. Also, the land holder kept the land prices low for people to buy in. I like the idea of communal living, but in a very rose-colored glasses kind of way. Don't think I could ever do it, buuuut this set up seemed the most reasonable. Least it gives you your own space and autonomy.

Yeah, ha. ANYWAY, they had a huge farm-esq garden set-up in the Orchard District for a reason.....Also, there are a bunch of chances to take tours all around Bend of peoples personal gardens. Central Oregon Locavore does it ever summer, but so does Oregon State. Oregon State's took place last year on July 20th: http://www.bendsource.com/bend/high-...nt?oid=2280981 When I did it everyone was really open and really wanted to help answer my questions. Seemed like every gardener wanted to help build the gardening community in Bend and I highly suggest it even if you don't plan on starting a garden.

For me, seeing everyones set up and talking to each gardener REALLY helped empower me to start. I feel like a lot of people choose not to garden here because common wisdom says it's hard, but if you do your research it's not too bad.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-14-2014 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 01:06 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Why do people insist on gardening in the desert?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Why do people insist on gardening in the desert?
...because it's a fun hobby? ...because some people enjoy the challenges of life? ...because it's not nearly as hard as people make it out to be if you do your research as our pictures clearly show?

Why do you care?

Please leave this thread alone if you have nothing constructive to contribute.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:34 PM

I am referring to the penchant to use scarce water to bloom a desert.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I am referring to the penchant to use scarce water to bloom a desert.
This thread address exactly what you're talking about: //www.city-data.com/forum/bend/...r-outlook.html

Old 03-14-2014, 02:51 PM

And the misuse of water for hobby gardens was never mentioned.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post

Sorry, forgot to add in your questions. I think you summed up the Orchard District pretty perfectly to be honest. Plus, you may even get an awesome view to boot!

I hear Hollinshead has a long wait list, but I could be wrong. Delta mentioned a few other community garden spaces and more and more are popping up around town. I go to the Parks and Rec board meetings every month and over the last year they've made it a priority to offer community gardens in their new parks.

One of Bends newest parks, Miller's Landing, near the Old Mill is incorporating a community garden space in their master plan: Miller's Landing.

There's also a privately held community garden across the street from 10 Barrel on Galveston. It's the oddest spot of all time. Apparently the property owner has let some of their neighbors use it....its lasted longer than I thought. Can't believe the plot hasn't been bought up and developed yet.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-14-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend