Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 02:47 PM

130 posts, read 213,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
If you don't like litter and garbage, move to Fort Collins Colorado! Beautiful sunny weather, good roads, affordable homes. You won't see homeless people and druggies in the street.

Colorado Springs- could be one of the driest places on earth. Bring a humidifier.
That is SOOOO far from the truth. Fort Collins now has homeless people on every corner and it is SO expensive, a "normal" person cannot afford it. 1 bed room rent $1100?

There was just a post on a neighborhood app about teens pointing a gun at them driving.

I am trying to leave this place so my kids have a chance to move out when they are older. my daughter is 20 and still lives at home. Neighbors across the street has late 20s that live at home. You can't afford to move out.

I am trying to find somewhere that isn't super humid in the summer or a freezing in the winter. don't like the desert either....that perfect place. (oh and to escape the liberalism that has infected the state)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 11:40 AM

54 posts, read 75,319 times
Hello again everyone!

As many of you won't be surprised to find, I haven't yet decided on the right place to settle. I have made great progress though.

Last time I posted, I was in Asheville, NC. I ended up moving about an hour north to Johnson City, TN and putting my daughter in a private school for $400 a month with financial aid.

I don't believe I had explained before, but the reason I have yet to make a decision is predominantly because of my father's unwillingness to move anywhere other than south to central Florida. He'll say he will consider another place, but at the last minute he will change his mind. I had moved to Asheville because he had said he would only consider NC. After moving, he still didn't want to move. Last year, I posted on here with the intention of not taking my father's input into consideration. What happened instead was that I was still held back by a feeling of responsibility. After many "discussions" with my father, I ended up running out of time and renting here in Johnson City.

My father is much much closer to dialysis. Because of several complications in February, the doctors have said he can not live by himself. He has round the clock care which is costing a huge amount of money, as you can imagine. Because of that, he is more willing to move elsewhere. Frankly, it doesn't matter that much anymore.

During these past 2-3 years, I have been researching transplant centers. I have narrowed 2 places to live based on their proximity to these centers. One is Medical City Fort Worth which has the highest survival rate as well as the shortest wait time. My second choice is Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, AZ. The wait time there is longer, but Mayo has many other benefits such as getting approval to use medicines and procedures before other hospitals. These things are important because my dad is 75 years old and diabetic. I plan on moving there first, finding necessary home care, and looking for/finding a new home (either one with 2 separate living areas or 2 town homes next to each other). At that point, my dad can move with us if he wants to. He is doing better now so the pressure to be close is there, but not like it was back in February.

The private school here will not be reopening until the end of this year, and I want my daughter to go back to being around other kids, even if it is with a mask and social distancing. Honestly, I find it is a close to perfect time to move. Plus, I really don't feel like paying tuition for online studying that takes her 2-3 hours to complete.

For comparison, both Medical City and Mayo Clinic have good results with diabetics over 75 years old. In both cases, I would live somewhat close by, but not in the city itself. For Mayo, I already have my daughter accepted in BASIS in Prescott, AZ which si an hour and a half away. Texas is a little trickier as getting to milder weather may be 5 or more hours away (??? that's why I'm posting). AZ school will also be open in the fall, and I have heard TX schools will also be open.

Heat: Being originally from Miami, I really don't want to move somewhere that gets a few weeks of cool temps a year as is in Miami. I can stand the heat a few months a year, but how cool it gets and for how long are important factors for me. How far do you have to go to get milder weather? I expect it to be intolerably hot in the summer, but how long does that last? How drastic is the change in seasons? Can I expect 50s in October? What about March? On average, when would you say the temps drop below 70? Is Amarillo a good option? Lubbock? Denton? Mt. Pleasant?

My second, also important, factor is radical political beliefs that progress to riots, looting, vandalism, and knocking down of statues. I don't concern myself with anyone else's beliefs as long as they don't infringe on my rights and freedom. This includes destroying the place I live. I realize both TX and AZ are red states, but I have slight concerns about that changing. I need insight from people living there.

I had originally posted something at the link below, and I can't find any way to delete it. Please reply here or there. Your replies are extremely appreciated.

If TexasDriver is on here still, your input would really help!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/show...rrerid=2163633

Old 07-04-2020, 05:04 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Hi Monaisa:

I clicked through to see your link on the Texas forum. We lived in the Waco area for about 13 years before moving back to the Northwest. If I was going to move back to TX then the Fort Worth or San Antonio areas would be where I would pick. Fort Worth is one of the nicest cities in TX and there are plenty of nice areas.

As for climate, you'd have to drive 500 miles from Fort Worth to find any different climate so don't bother with that. You basically have to drive all the way up into the New Mexico Rockies to find relief from the summer heat. Just move to Fort Worth or one of the surrounding suburbs. The climate is not like FL at all. You have blistering hot summers but it is still essentially 4-seasons. Spring and fall can very very nice and the winters do get frigid cold at times. About the coldest I have ever been was at a HS football championship game in the old Cowboy Stadium one December before it got torn down. It even snows on occasion.

In Fort Worth (and most of TX) you'll basically have hot weather from about May-Sept with the peak in July and August. You will have mild nice weather in Oct/Nov and Mar/Apr and mixed cold and mild weather from Dec-Feb depending on the daily weather patterns. When cold continental air comes down from the northern plains you can have a week or two of frigid weather followed by a week in the 70s and then cold again.

Fort worth has a lot of lovely suburbs. I'm partial to the Grapevine area. There are also nice neighborhoods in the central city like Tanglewood which is adjacent to TCU and the Forth Worth Zoo. I don't think you have any great worry about Fort Worth turning blue if that is a concern. It is traditionally one of the more conservative cities in TX and the suburbs even more so.

I don't know anything about the Phoenix area so I can't give you any advice there.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
You really need to consider your dad's future medical needs, as well as your DD schooling.

Both DFW and PHX are toaster ovens in summer and can be in shoulder season too. If you will need any state assistance for care or schooling, do your homework. Texas is pretty weak in state and and Elder Care options. If Texas...I too would consider NW San Antonio (medical) / Boerne (good schools and very close to San Antonio,) and many nice getaways in Texas Hill Country, and 1 hr to Austin.

Beyond Texas and Arizona, there are states that are much more 'state aid' friendly.

Keep future care needs / assistance in mind, as you can't do all this on your own.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:28 AM

22 posts, read 39,146 times
Prescott weather is very nice and not at all like Phoenix. Typically, 20 degrees lower in the Summer months (lots of Phoenix and Scottsdale people have second homes / cabins / golf course homes in this area to escape the heat). Some snow, but I'm told it doesn't stick around for more than a day or two. The whole city doesn't need to shut down or anything!

Arizona is a "purple" state - will soon have two Democrat senators, at least, even though most communities outside of Phoenix and Flagstaff are very conservative. I tend to see more conservative Californians retiring outside of Phoenix, which will further the division between the big city and the rest of the state. In the Prescott area, there is about a zero chance of any political demonstrations or rioting or the like.

Last edited by Benzito; 09-20-2020 at 01:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend