Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 06:18 PM

298 posts, read 341,232 times

Advertisements

I know they had National Championships in Bend a few years back, they tend to alternate between east and West coast. It's possible they will have them in Bend again.
There is one town here in MA that posted single file signs, even though it conflicts with state law, and is probably not enforceable.

Well if you live on a road where they have races, that's going to cause some delays/inconvenience, but it's not like its 30 days a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
It probably didn't help that VisitBend decided to market Bend as a bike riding mecca before the infrastructure was in place to support the influx of bikes that hits the area during the peak tourist season.

Here's an article from 2010 written before bike lanes were added to Skyliner.

The Golden Road: Skyliners Road Is The Main Street Of Bike Town USA - And The Epicenter Of Conflict

And an article about plans for more bike lanes around town.

Greenways Get Going
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 997 times
What an admirably candid description! Planning to move to Bend in a couple of months. I ride most days - with Zwift capturing more hours than I would have imagined a year ago! - and hope to meet riders by joining a club or two. I'm in Spokane and the riding, of all types, is remarkably good. As I age, road riding gets more appealing but I still do mountain in a great 10K park, with rolling terrain. Thanks again for a thorough review of the Bend cycling scene. I'll stock up on brighter outfits!

Old 03-09-2020, 12:00 AM

811 posts, read 1,060,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebayer View Post
What an admirably candid description! Planning to move to Bend in a couple of months. I ride most days - with Zwift capturing more hours than I would have imagined a year ago! - and hope to meet riders by joining a club or two. I'm in Spokane and the riding, of all types, is remarkably good. As I age, road riding gets more appealing but I still do mountain in a great 10K park, with rolling terrain. Thanks again for a thorough review of the Bend cycling scene. I'll stock up on brighter outfits!
There is a fairly recently but quickly growing cycling club called COWs or similar. (Central Oregon Wheelers, or something like that) I am probably going to check it out myself. They do a lot of group road rides.

I am 67 and like that we have a lot of what I call "Old Geezer Trails" for mtn biking. The younguns that heal fast and bounce well are pushing for more stunt and rock pile riding, but there is still a lot available for people that want a tamer but interesting experience.

Some of the comments above show that we do have some people that really resent bicycles on the road. That is pretty much true of anywhere, and not as bad in Bend as in some places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend