Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 02:10 PM

298 posts, read 341,232 times

Advertisements

Why is there such a big drug problem in the Northwest (Oregon/Washington)? I've done some research, it seems that while they've made progress on opiods, the meth problem has grown. Statistically I think WA and OR have high numbers for meth, so I am wondering what the impact this has on communities?

My kids live in Corvallis and my daughter tells me she sees people "tweaking on the streets". With drug addiction comes property crime, and homelessness, so I am wondering how Bend compares to the rest of the state?

Right now living in a small town in MA, that's just not the type of thing I see around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 04:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Google "west coast homeless problem" sometime.

I am not saying that this is the root of all evils, but it does have a huge impact.

BTW, this IS the "west coast", and things and attitudes are vastly different here compared to the east coast.

Also, Corvallis is a college town, with pretty liberal attitudes.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:03 PM

298 posts, read 341,232 times
Default Homeless

Yeah but the question is did drugs lead to homelessness or the other way around? My understanding is that people who were leading lives, holding down a job or in a stable living situation, once they start using (meth, opiates) they end up on the street.

Don't get me wrong, there is a huge opiate problem on the east coast, it's bad in NH, Rhode Island and Cape Cod. There are homeless too. But how can there be people living outside in Bend when its below freezing at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Google "west coast homeless problem" sometime.

I am not saying that this is the root of all evils, but it does have a huge impact.

BTW, this IS the "west coast", and things and attitudes are vastly different here compared to the east coast.

Also, Corvallis is a college town, with pretty liberal attitudes.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:34 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
Yeah but the question is did drugs lead to homelessness or the other way around? My understanding is that people who were leading lives, holding down a job or in a stable living situation, once they start using (meth, opiates) they end up on the street.

Don't get me wrong, there is a huge opiate problem on the east coast, it's bad in NH, Rhode Island and Cape Cod. There are homeless too. But how can there be people living outside in Bend when its below freezing at night?

Google shows some warming shelters in Bend & surrounding areas.

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

Old 02-01-2020, 06:30 PM

811 posts, read 1,060,540 times
I thought the heavy ....very heavy....control of sudafed type, over the counter meds was greatly reducing the meth cooking issue in Oregon? Trying to get sudafed for a sinus issue takes an act of Congress.

I thought prescription opiods were the main problem now? And the following addiction to heroin.

I would feel more sympathetic with the Street People if they weren't biting the hands that feed them. Property crimes are off the charts in Northeast Bend now. This makes it much harder for the legitimate Homeless that have fallen on hard times and want to work their way out of it.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:50 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
Why is there such a big drug problem in the Northwest (Oregon/Washington)? I've done some research, it seems that while they've made progress on opiods, the meth problem has grown. Statistically I think WA and OR have high numbers for meth, so I am wondering what the impact this has on communities?

My kids live in Corvallis and my daughter tells me she sees people "tweaking on the streets". With drug addiction comes property crime, and homelessness, so I am wondering how Bend compares to the rest of the state?

Right now living in a small town in MA, that's just not the type of thing I see around here.
Meth is pretty common in a lot of rural areas in both Washington and Oregon. It’s not hard to pick up on who is tweaking. Skinny, bad/no teeth, twitching, and the blank, dead eyed stare. Both states have pretty liberal attitudes toward drugs and homelessness. The fact that pot is legal here, attracts people from other states. I’m not sure what the jail time for drugs would be, in a state that gives out free needles to shoot up. Probably not much.

In my neighborhood around Christmas, a local meth head was driving and hit a lady and her kid. It’s a sad thing to happen, and the local politicians in office need to change things up. Nothing positive will happen without intervention and enforcing whatever laws that are on the books.

In the meantime, neither meth or homelessness is slowing down. If you are considering a small town move to either state, do your due diligence first. Some towns will be ok and some not. I never heard of people living in a bus until moving here, but it’s not uncommon. It’s the stuff of local culture and ties in with drug use and homelessness.

The impact of meth and drugs in communities encourages many people to have cameras and no trespassing signs. Property crime is a problem, as well as kids who grow up with meth head parents. In this neighborhood, you’ll hear guns firing before dawn, and unless they’re scaring off Bigfoot, hearing someone fire a weapon while it’s dark is scary, because you don’t know what they’re doing.

Every state has it’s own problems, and in Oregon and Washington, it’s meth and homelessness. Maybe grassroots efforts would help, instead of depending on politicians.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:13 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
JMO,
its not so much as the attitude of the local citizens, but the weather {?}. Western Oregon and WA have mild climates all year round and one can live OK in a tent. The COL is fairly high but not so high as to be unaffordable for someone who is on welfare-disability. Another issue is I-5, which runs border-to-border. It's the pipeline for drugs (meth, opioids, and other stuff). I-5 is long and you can for the most part avoid city cores where the cops frequent. Add in budget contraints, that limit policing and prisons then you have a problem.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:29 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
I thought the heavy ....very heavy....control of sudafed type, over the counter meds was greatly reducing the meth cooking issue in Oregon? Trying to get sudafed for a sinus issue takes an act of Congress.

I thought prescription opiods were the main problem now? And the following addiction to heroin.

I would feel more sympathetic with the Street People if they weren't biting the hands that feed them. Property crimes are off the charts in Northeast Bend now. This makes it much harder for the legitimate Homeless that have fallen on hard times and want to work their way out of it.
Almost no meth is 'cooked' in the US anymore, it comes from Mexico in huge quantities and it is of a very high quality and there's so much of it that it's gotten really cheap. A parole agent friend of mine said that in Northern California the street price for meth is $150-$200 an ounce

Old 02-01-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
JMO,
its not so much as the attitude of the local citizens, but the weather {?}. Western Oregon and WA have mild climates all year round and one can live OK in a tent. The COL is fairly high but not so high as to be unaffordable for someone who is on welfare-disability. Another issue is I-5, which runs border-to-border. It's the pipeline for drugs (meth, opioids, and other stuff). I-5 is long and you can for the most part avoid city cores where the cops frequent. Add in budget contraints, that limit policing and prisons then you have a problem.
I'm not sure mild climates have much to do with meth use, it's very high in states like Minnesota, Iowa and South and North Dakota. What makes it even worse is that there is no medical treatment for meth addiction. A heroin user can successfully stop using with methadone or suboxone but there is nothing similar for meth users, a user who wants to quit is usually referred to NA meetings
https://www.dea.gov/stories/2019/07/...-climb-midwest

Old 02-01-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Meth is pretty common in a lot of rural areas in both Washington and Oregon. It’s not hard to pick up on who is tweaking. Skinny, bad/no teeth, twitching, and the blank, dead eyed stare. Both states have pretty liberal attitudes toward drugs and homelessness. The fact that pot is legal here, attracts people from other states. I’m not sure what the jail time for drugs would be, in a state that gives out free needles to shoot up. Probably not much.

In my neighborhood around Christmas, a local meth head was driving and hit a lady and her kid. It’s a sad thing to happen, and the local politicians in office need to change things up. Nothing positive will happen without intervention and enforcing whatever laws that are on the books.

In the meantime, neither meth or homelessness is slowing down. If you are considering a small town move to either state, do your due diligence first. Some towns will be ok and some not. I never heard of people living in a bus until moving here, but it’s not uncommon. It’s the stuff of local culture and ties in with drug use and homelessness.

The impact of meth and drugs in communities encourages many people to have cameras and no trespassing signs. Property crime is a problem, as well as kids who grow up with meth head parents. In this neighborhood, you’ll hear guns firing before dawn, and unless they’re scaring off Bigfoot, hearing someone fire a weapon while it’s dark is scary, because you don’t know what they’re doing.

Every state has it’s own problems, and in Oregon and Washington, it’s meth and homelessness. Maybe grassroots efforts would help, instead of depending on politicians.
I don't think 'liberal attitudes' have much of anything to do with drug use. My sister-in-law lives in rural Missouri, hardly a place with liberal attitudes and she said there are so many people using meth that it's becoming normalized. Missouri has very harsh laws for meth possession or sales. Possession of even a small amount of meth carries a prison term of up to 7 years, second offense is punishable by a prison term of up to 10 years. Sales is 10-30 years but it doesn't deter people from using it.

Drug users lie to themselves constantly, they tell themselves the drug isn't really impacting their life and they convince themselves that they won't get caught...that's why "tough on crime" when it comes to drug users is an expensive exercise in futility. Harsh sentences should be reserved for drug traffickers, not addicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend