Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:57 PM

7 posts, read 37,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
In fact if you were to follow any latitude across the world, the climate is relatively the same.
Horse hockey. Compare the coast of Oregon to the heart of South Dakota or Maine. Or, for that matter, lower Mongolia ... O-or Sapporo, Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,412 times
I didn't verify climate types in the following areas, but based on latitude and regional topography, I think the following areas will have a similar climate.

Micro-climates in Spain, especially northwest of Madrid, but inland. Madrid has a climate very similar to Sacramento, CA, but without the subtle moderating marine influence which keeps Sacramento a little cooler in the Summer.

Italy, areas south of the Alps.

Micro-climates in northern Greece, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Croatia.

Micro-climates in the Caucasus. Especially Azerbaijan. Northern Turkey and Northern Iran.

The Eurasian Steppes and ares just to the south (Tajikistan, etc,), could possibly have areas with a similar climate, but I think it is likely these areas have a strong continental climate.

Southern Hemisphere: African and Australia, doubtful. These two continents only go as far as about 34 degrees.

Chile, possibly in some valleys.

Argentina, absolutely, just east of the Andes. Although, you wouldn't recognize it. Pines, characteristic of mountainous areas, aren't part of the vegetation in the southern hemisphere.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:38 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,078 times
Europe is big. To narrow Bend's climate to that of a region in Europe is a little ludicrous.

I've lived in western Europe (Berlin, London and Bordeaux). Non of these climates are much like Bend, at all. If I were to go 50-100 miles away from these cities while staying in their same regions the climate would change pretty drastically so I don't really get the question?

Bend is a high desert/semi arid climate (arguably) so any place that is similar to that would have a like climate.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:14 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,754,711 times
I think 45 north (or south) on the west side of continents seems to fit. That would put you on the northern edge of the Mediterranean climate regions. That latitude in Europe is surprisingly mild because of the Gulf Stream. This same latitude at the eastern edge of the larger continents would put you in New England or southern Siberia. Not wine country to me, but maybe for a Viking.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:38 AM

478 posts, read 784,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Because Europe's climate is influenced so much by ocean currents, you can't really compare Bend to France even though they are about the same latitude.

The climate of the high desert (Bend is in the high desert) of North America is probably similar to the climate of the Steppes of Central Asia. Varies depending on where you are, but generally hot in the summer, cold in the winter, not a lot of rain.

Some people call the North American high desert the North American Steppes.
I think that's the best answer. I studied some geography in college, and central Oregon's climate is pretty unusual. I don't think there's any part of Europe that has a climate much like Bend's.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Maybe northern Turkmenistan. Geology defines Bend's climate. The North-South orientation of the Cascades forms a formidable barrier to marine air currents. Europe has nothing comparable. In South America, I would put the comparable climate west of the Andes, not east. Prevailing winds blow the other direction down there.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I would put the comparable climate west of the Andes, not east. Prevailing winds blow the other direction down there.
Is that true? I don't really remember grade school geography but it seems like if the prevailing winds are coming from the East then Southern Brazil & Argentina would be more like California & Oregon and Chile & Peru would be more similar to our East Coast's climates. And I know that Chile has one of the world's Mediterranean climates. And it's Perth on Australia's West Coast is Mediterranean - not Sydney. Just wondering outloud.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM

478 posts, read 784,371 times
Quote:
Maybe northern Turkmenistan. Geology defines Bend's climate. The North-South orientation of the Cascades forms a formidable barrier to marine air currents. Europe has nothing comparable. In South America, I would put the comparable climate west of the Andes, not east. Prevailing winds blow the other direction down there.
Not really true about south America ... prevailing winds are generally the same for the same latitude, be it north or south. Tropical easterlies, and mid-latitude westerlies are the norm except for local exceptions. Arid areas are common around 30 degrees latitude north and south, and at the poles.

The north-south orientation of the Cascades makes a big difference, for sure. Bend is in a big-time rain shadow.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM

174 posts, read 430,565 times
Angry yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Maybe if the Californians knew about these places and the Steppes of Central Asia they would move there instead of to Bend.
If they did, your economy would REALLY fall flat on its arse! You had better be grateful for the new money coming in, because the old money that lives there stinks, and looks rather DEAD!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,412 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be a north-south orientation. All that is needed is a location on the leeward side of a mountain range. Northern Spain, for example, is something like Coastal N California and Coastal Oregon. They refer to it as "Costa Verde" (Green Coast). The climate south of the Cordillera Cantabrica is steppe, much like Bend, although the elevation isn't quite as high, so it is probably warmer.

There are other mountain ranges through much of Europe near the same latitude which could have micro-climates on the leeward side of the ranges which is much like Bend's climate.

Also, it is very easy to find another location with a climate that is close enough to compare. It is very difficult to find two locations on different continents which share the same month by month variations. As I mentioned in a previous post, Madrid is probably as close as you will find to Sacramento's climate. However, one of the key differences is that Madrid receives more rain in the late fall and starts to decrease in December when in Sacramento the rate of precipitation is high in January and February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: