Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 PM

20 posts, read 38,523 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to Bend this spring. I have done lots of research and feel that it might be a great new home for my family. The problem is that my husband loves the East Coast. Anyway, we will be traveling by truck/camper from Northern CA (my parents live there and we are borrowing the rig...we live in Central NY). I am looking for advice on what to see and do and where to camp so that we will all fall in love with the area. We love outdoors and changing seasons. My children are young (5,3, and 1.5).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, any recommended Real Estate Agents??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
When in the spring do you plan on visiting? Early spring, some outdoor areas and roads will still be closed (particularly if we get some snow this month - we're a bit down from average right now). Your kids would like the High Desert Museum and it is open year 'round. Let us know your time-frame and there will be other suggestions accordingly. Camping areas are not all open in the spring either, but the closest one to Bend happens to be open all year - Tumalo State Park (pronounced Tum as is Tums, not Toom). You should probably make a reservation, even for a spring stay.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates

There are a lot of good realtors in the area. I'd choose one from a bigger-name agency and ask for someone who has been in the area for a while so you can get a good tour.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 PM

20 posts, read 38,523 times
Thanks for the info. Our trip will be somewhere between April 16 - June 15. Do you think things will be "warming up" and open as early as April?

I have read lots of your posts and appreciate the insight (and positive outlook) to the Bend area.

Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 AM

279 posts, read 1,086,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoermann View Post
The problem is that my husband loves the East Coast.
I hate to say it, but this may indeed pose a problem unless he changes his mind. My husband and I are both native Marylanders, born & raised. He moved to CA when he was 18 and loved the west coast. We recently lived in S. Oregon (Medford at first then Ashland), which was my experience living out west, and I found it very difficult to adjust to the culture. I didn't even feel like I was living in the same country. It's much slower paced out west, and folks are not going to rush to get you your check, pump your gas, etc., and may seem a little more insular (not unfriendly, just not outwardly "howdy" etc.) That's just how it is and you can't change it! Funny thing happened, though ... we moved back east 2 years ago (to Charlotte, NC), and now I miss it so damn much out there. I miss the slow and deliberate pace, the incredible scenery, and the fresh air. We're definitely moving back out, and plan to very soon (we're fortunate that our jobs allow is to live anywhere). I just wanted to share with you in case you don't expect it, it's really different from the east. But I've learned, personally, that it's better only after having been back. Sure, it does stink that we had to come 3k miles for me to realize it ... but better late than never.

Good luck to you, I hope your family likes Oregon. It's a stunningly beautiful state.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
The later in the spring the better. Mid April it can still be chilly and the nights cold. Your kids are very young, so they may not find some of these very interesting, but here are some suggestions: The Lava Lands Visitors Center at Newberry National Volcanic Monument opens in mid-April. The lava tube cave can be fun, but children that age may not want to go all the way into it. Sunriver (south of Bend as are the High Desert Museum, Newberry and the lava cave) has a nature center that offers Tyke Hikes that are geared for preschoolers. Bend has the Working Wonders Children's Museum. You could take a tour downtown on Bend Cycle Cab (541) 408-6363 for schedule & reservations. Memorial weekend in May, there will be a celebration of Oregon's 150th state anniversary at Smith Rock State Park north of Bend. Bend has a lot of parks, small and large that can be enjoyed by kids and if it's warm enough, they can stick their toes into the Deschutes River, and watch the ducks, geese and swans at Mirror Pond (downtown).

Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 PM

54 posts, read 293,921 times
thoermann, Hopefully, things will be thawing out nicely by April and you'll have lots to see. It really is a beautiful area.
If you are wanting to make contact with a good realtor in the area, I have a very good friend who has been in real estate in Bend for nearly 14 years. I am sure you would find him very helpful. If you will contact me by direct mail on this forum, I'll be happy to put you in touch with him.
minorbrew

Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM

14 posts, read 49,397 times
Bend is beautiful in the spring. Unfortunately the Cascade Lakes Highway probably won't be open yet. It's a scenic drive through the mountains with plenty of lakes to stop at. I'd suggest seeing Smith Rock state park, Downtown Bend, The Old Mill District, Mt. Bachelor, Tumalo State Park, Sunriver, and Tumalo Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend