Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,115 times

Advertisements

Hi, Does any one know how the teaching job market is in Bend? I have been teaching for 12 years in California at the 4th grade level and we are looking to move to Bend sometime in the next year. Any comments would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:51 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Um...the Oregon school districts are going to face about a 1 billion dollar shortfall. Class sizes will be larger in most cities and teaching positions will be cut all over the state.

Bend has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state right now. Don't move until you have secured jobs.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I have a friend who teaches special ed who tried to get a job in any Portland school for a year. She finally gave up and moved to LA. Do not move without first securing jobs.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 PM

32 posts, read 139,620 times
Approximately 40 teachers are being RIF'd (let-go) from the Bend-Lapine School District for next school year.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 15,358 times
Default Teaching jobs

I'm sure you've gathered from the few posts, that Bend is "in the toilet" so to speak. Brought on like in so many places by the false economy created by the housing boom. It is a nice place to live, but I will suggest you check out someplace like Fort Collins, CO. We moved to Bend after 15 years in Colorado, where both my children attended CSU in Fort Collins. It is a vibrant college town, much more bike friendly than Bend with actual bike paths as opposed to painted stripes filled with debris and cinder on the side of the road. You are one hour from Denver, the climate on the front range of Colorado is similar to Bend, and the economy is a bit more stable. Granted, you're not 3 hours from the coast, but you'll be an hour away from the Rocky Mountains. We truly like Bend, and our adult children have moved here too. So, I'm not bashing it by any means. However, over 50% of the population(me included) moved here in the last 8 years, so there is not much sense of "home" or "community spirit" in my opinion...and I miss that. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Teaching jobs in Bend are extremely hard to find right now. As a teacher with only one year of experience in Colorado, I didn't even apply for a job when I moved to Bend. I know several people who have 8+ years of experience teaching and couldn't get a job here. It's pretty terrible!

If you can afford to move here without a job it's a great place to live. However, if you need to work, you may want to wait a few years until the economy improves. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: