Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Same here in La Pine! It was wonderful seeing so many people out and about, getting in that last walk or two before the snow hit.

AND DID IT EVER! It started just after noon. We now have at least 6" on the east side of 97... and it is still coming down!

Any up there in Bend yet?
We got about an inch or so here in town. I hear the mountains got close to a foot though! I was supposed to head down to Redding this weekend to visit a friend, but after checking the weather and seeing all the snow, I think I'm going to stay home. I need new tires and now is not the time to chance the ones I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 AM

722 posts, read 1,352,771 times
I have been following the Bend fall weather, warm spells, cold, sun and clouds, bits of snow in town, much more in Sunriver area Sisters and of course mountains.

So the question is this?

Has this been a rather typical fall for Bend? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,078 times
In my 3 falls here it seems fairly typical, but I'm sure a true local can give you a better idea. Although, last year we had an extremely dry/cloudless fall/early winter. I think it was sunny about every day till the last week of December. It was boring as all hell and Bachelor got killed early season with their lack of snow.

Also, it is almost certain that both Sisters and Sunriver/LaPine get more snow than Bend throughout winter. Sunriver/LaPine especially. I think they got a foot only last week while we got an inch....

Storms tend to curl up from the SW.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
In my 3 falls here it seems fairly typical, but I'm sure a true local can give you a better idea. Although, last year we had an extremely dry/cloudless fall/early winter. I think it was sunny about every day till the last week of December. It was boring as all hell and Bachelor got killed early season with their lack of snow.

Also, it is almost certain that both Sisters and Sunriver/LaPine get more snow than Bend throughout winter. Sunriver/LaPine especially. I think they got a foot only last week while we got an inch....

Storms tend to curl up from the SW.
I actually disagree with you, Kapetrich, on this. I think a typical fall in Bend is highly dependent on whether we are in an El Nino dominated weather pattern, like this year, or a La Nina pattern. This is now my 5th fall here, and is was one of the nicest so far. Last fall was pretty nice as well, as La Nina was weak and didn't really arrive until January. However, the fall of 2009 & 10 were both pretty overcast, rainy and cool.

So, in terms of a typical fall, I think it's hard to call anything typical here because of the influence of those dominant weather patterns. This is just my observation, I truly am not very knowledgeable about weather.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I actually disagree with you, Kapetrich, on this. I think a typical fall in Bend is highly dependent on whether we are in an El Nino dominated weather pattern, like this year, or a La Nina pattern. This is now my 5th fall here, and is was one of the nicest so far. Last fall was pretty nice as well, as La Nina was weak and didn't really arrive until January. However, the fall of 2009 & 10 were both pretty overcast, rainy and cool.

So, in terms of a typical fall, I think it's hard to call anything typical here because of the influence of those dominant weather patterns. This is just my observation, I truly am not very knowledgeable about weather.
It does seem really hard to predict 'normal' weather round here during the fall/winter and spring especially so I think we agree on that.

I guess I meant that the description Snownut gave seems typical as it is really just a grab bag which I'd say is very normal for most people coming from the east coast: "warm spells, cold, sun and clouds, bits of snow in town."

Old 11-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
It does seem really hard to predict 'normal' weather round here during the fall/winter and spring especially so I think we agree on that.

I guess I meant that the description Snownut gave seems typical as it is really just a grab bag which I'd say is very normal for most people coming from the east coast: "warm spells, cold, sun and clouds, bits of snow in town."
I agree. I actually went back and read that again. I think when he asked whether this fall was typical, that's where I disagreed with you (since you said you thought it was). For the most part this fall hasn't had much in the way of cold and clouds, until this week. Of course, who knows...I'm gearing myself up for winter and don't think we'll see the 70s again until June, but I suppose it can happen.

But, yes, "warm spells, cold, sun and clouds, bits of snow in town" is probably a pretty accurate assessment of Bend's weather in the fall!

Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I agree. I actually went back and read that again. I think when he asked whether this fall was typical, that's where I disagreed with you (since you said you thought it was). For the most part this fall hasn't had much in the way of cold and clouds, until this week. Of course, who knows...I'm gearing myself up for winter and don't think we'll see the 70s again until June, but I suppose it can happen.

But, yes, "warm spells, cold, sun and clouds, bits of snow in town" is probably a pretty accurate assessment of Bend's weather in the fall!
Seems the only sure thing about the "normal" "typical" weather in Bend is drier than the surrounding areas there and profoundly drier than here in VA which IMO is a big improvement from east coast weather. Temperatures are similar this time of year just colder at night out there.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM

Seeing on the webcams today Sunday December 2 that it is sunny in Bend (: and cloudy and snowing at Mt Bachelor. Wondering if any one has been skiing yet and what the conditions are like there? Temperatures look great for skiing but wonder about the winds and visibility? Haven't skied out west for years and really looking forward to getting out to try out Mt Bachelor.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Seeing on the webcams today Sunday December 2 that it is sunny in Bend (: and cloudy and snowing at Mt Bachelor. Wondering if any one has been skiing yet and what the conditions are like there? Temperatures look great for skiing but wonder about the winds and visibility? Haven't skied out west for years and really looking forward to getting out to try out Mt Bachelor.
I'm back east and have been for a while during the holidays (great weather while I've been home, btw), but my friends report that the skiing today was, and I quote, 'EPIC early season.'

17 inches of fresh snow over night with good visibility and low winds for a Mt. Bachelor storm day. Plus, it's early season on a Sunday leaving the mountaun relatively empty save for locals and the odd storm chaser powder hound . On top of all this, they opened up OBX for the first time this year giving us tons of terrian to work with....... Needless to say, I'm VERY jealous......

...just glad I live in Bend where powder days are a dime a dozen. If anything I've become a snob regarding temps...That said, a 17inch powder day, even for Bachelor, is fairly rare during a season and must be taken advantage of.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
We were up there Friday and it was really nice! Took the rock skis, but didn't really need them. We stuck to the groomers though, as it was our first day. The weather wasn't too bad, a little windy at the top of the lifts, but nice once you got out of the open areas. Snow was a little wet, especially as you got towards the base, so a bit sticky, but still very good.

Quote:
That said, a 17inch powder day, even for Bachelor, is fairly rare during a season and must be taken advantage of.
Oh, if only I could have...one of the downfalls of the mid-week pass! But hey, I'm not complaining. Still get to ski, avoid weekend clusters, and save $200+ for my husband and I. One of the big perks of his job is having 3 weekdays off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend