Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit-kat-55 View Post
hey Bend OR,

anyone ski? we are thinking about moving there to be in a small town, and close to skiing. how far? what do you think? anyone?

thanks!! kat
I do, I do (well, not this season, but I don't want to talk about that)! Mt. Bachelor is a great mountain that is about 30 minutes from town. The ski season is long, from about Thanksgiving through Memorial Day. The snow is pretty darn good too, especially for the PNW, since we are on the dry side of the Cascades. There can be some pretty awful days up there, but there can also be some amazing days.

If you love to ski and can find jobs or are bringing them with you, Bend is a great place to call home.

Are there other things that are important to you besides skiing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
No There is no skiing in Bend. the nearest mountain is hours away and it is terrible.
He's kidding! Just wanted to make sure you knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 01:11 PM

21 posts, read 29,293 times
ha, yes, I google.

~~

we are in WA now, going to retire soon. we can live anywhere in the world. we want skiing, a Costco, nice people, love to eat out, want small land - 2 - 5 acres. cabin or build a house.

need really GOOD internet connection.

coming down to look around soon.

thanks, kat

Old 10-26-2013, 01:41 PM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
ha, .............................. we want skiing, a Costco, nice people, love to eat out, want small land - 2 - 5 acres. cabin or build a house.

need really GOOD internet connection. ..............
It sounds a lot like Bend should be on your short list.

Bend Broadband, which is exactly the same as Bend Cable serves most of the area close to Bend, but be sure to ask before you purchase. Some of the over-the-air broadband companies are pretty darn good, and they are cheaper, but if Internet is all that important, you want Bend Broadband.

Bend Broadband serves Deschutes River Woods and Tumalo, which are areas very close in where you might get a 2-5 acre parcel.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:17 PM

21 posts, read 29,293 times
thank you!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:26 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
I don't know if Bend has Frontier as an Internet Service Provider? If you do, it's pretty good. I've had it here on the sw side, for 4 years.

Frontier Communications Internet, Phone & TV | West.Frontier.com

Old 10-26-2013, 04:56 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,062 times
Quote:
anyone ski? we are thinking about moving there to be in a small town, and close to skiing. how far? what do you think? anyone?
Distance from homes in Bend to Bachelor range from about 16 to 30 miles. During the winter the average drive to Bachelor is 30 - 60+ minutes depending conditions, traffic, and where you live.

The snow quality is often drier then other PNW mountains but heavier than what is found in the Rockies. We get plenty of cascade concrete but are blessed with higher quality snow at times, especially during mid winter. The terrain is more intermediate than expert with many groomed runs. There a many storm cycles per season which means lots of powder days, but the weather can be brutal with much of the mountain closed due to high winds and low visibility. Sun is rare until spring hits. Some of the best spring skiing in North America if not the world.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 PM

431 posts, read 599,722 times
Quote:
ha, yes, I google.
Make sure you can live with a pretty restrictive download cap.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,343 times
In the last few years I switched to skate skiing away from downhill. Meissner is much closer, is cheaper (optional donations and sno park pass), better terrain, and better weather than Bachelor. This season they have a brand new groomer. I find skate skiing a nice complement to cycling fitness.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
In the last few years I switched to skate skiing away from downhill.
I haven't made the switch yet but some of my close friends have. I have one that dropped from 40 days of downhill skiing to about 10 because of the weather. Instead she skates a few times per week regardless of the weather. I may give it a try this season.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:15 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,754 times
Quote:
ha, yes, I google.

~~

we are in WA now, going to retire soon. we can live anywhere in the world. we want skiing, a Costco, nice people, love to eat out, want small land - 2 - 5 acres. cabin or build a house.

coming down to look around soon.

thanks, kat
I don't think you will be disappointed. The land desire comes with some restrictions. Parcels of that size, can be difficult to find, depending on your desires. (trees, views, desert, forest) Close in they get real expensive real quick. If you are willing to be a ways out of town, they are easier to find. And your money will buy more land. There can also by some unusual building restrictions, to look out for.

We made that Journey about 1.5 years ago and learned a lot. If you decide to pursue this feel free to PM and I can give you more specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend