U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 02:58 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,937,523 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to the forum and thought I should stop on by to say hello, see if I can connect with anyone who lives in the Bend area AND ask a few questions regarding the area. Any help would be great!

2 friends and I are bound for a visit at the end of February to check out the city; best area to live, outdoors, etc.

My plan is to move at the end of Summer and to buy a home asap as the housing market in Bend has been decimated (anyone have an educated interest in the top?). My main questions for all of you is where to buy my home? My criteria is.....

1) Semi fixer upper
2) Just outside the city (5-20min drive to city limits preferable)
2) A plot land (1-5 acres)
3) In the 150-300k range

Anything would help!

Thanks in advance,

Kurt

Oh yeah, I'm 24 years old. If that helps.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:57 PM

54 posts, read 276,142 times
kapetrich, Welcome to the Forum. I don't live in Bend but I visit there often. However, I'm sure others are better equiped to give you details of the area. You will probably receive several replies to your questions.
Nevertheless, I do know that the Bend area has a lot to offer and there are many great buys in real estate at this time. You should be able to find several very nice choices in the price range you mentioned.
Moderator cut: use DM for real estate information
Best wishes on your move to Central Oregon.
minorbrew

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-28-2009 at 11:01 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 12:46 PM

480 posts, read 2,297,003 times
There would certainly be some opportunities like you describe. Your best bet would be to find a local realtor who can talk to you about preferences - you will get more land for your money east or north of Bend but it will be more desert-like that west or south of Bend. Unless you are independently wealthy or already employed, finding a home will be much easier than finding a job.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM

7,390 posts, read 5,689,257 times
kapetrich, I suspect you have never visited Oregon and are due for some surprizes. Oregon landuse regulations seem to be designed to prevent exactly the type of housing you are looking for. Even after seeing Portland and some of the other cities in the State, Bend was a real shock to me. Bend is a small community in the middle of nowhere. Even so housing is very compact with very small lots and sometimes more than one house jammed onto that lot. In Oregon you do not just find a nice place to live, buy a few acres and put up a house. I am sure you will find a few options but very few.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:46 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,875,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
kapetrich, I suspect you have never visited Oregon and are due for some surprizes. Oregon landuse regulations seem to be designed to prevent exactly the type of housing you are looking for. Even after seeing Portland and some of the other cities in the State, Bend was a real shock to me. Bend is a small community in the middle of nowhere. Even so housing is very compact with very small lots and sometimes more than one house jammed onto that lot. In Oregon you do not just find a nice place to live, buy a few acres and put up a house. I am sure you will find a few options but very few.
Some of this is true, but if you are looking for a small acreage with a home already built, you should be able to find something. Of course, cost could be the one thing that keeps you from buying any acreage. Even though real estate prices have dropped dramatically, homes on acreage are still relatively expensive. Do a google search for real estate in Bend and you can get a picture of what your looking for. I also agree with Bendite, in that finding a home is going to be easier than finding a job. Bend is a pretty tough place to make it right now!

Nevertheless, you should enjoy your visit. It's beautiful here! I just moved to Bend a little over a year ago and I love it. We were able to buy a nice home at a decent price, and my husband is employed, so it works for us! Good luck!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:04 PM

758 posts, read 2,179,580 times
Funny, I live on five acres on a gravel road - wasn't hard to find at all, or particularly expensive. See, only about 30% of people really want to live the more rural life. Folks move out my way (SW of Portland) for a year or two, then decide they don't like the isolation, and sell. There are plenty of houses with big backyards, too. Jrk liny is giving you the developers' line against land use laws.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 PM

7,390 posts, read 5,689,257 times
I am not trying to give anyone a line. I was just shocked at Bend. I expected the wide open West and instead found a very cramped, densely packed area that really looked pretty shoddy. Then, again, I did not spend a great deal of time looking at housing. Bend is way, way too cold for me.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM

14,716 posts, read 35,613,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Funny, I live on five acres on a gravel road - wasn't hard to find at all, or particularly expensive. See, only about 30% of people really want to live the more rural life. Folks move out my way (SW of Portland) for a year or two, then decide they don't like the isolation, and sell. There are plenty of houses with big backyards, too. Jrk liny is giving you the developers' line against land use laws.

It depends on your perspective. In Illinois where I lived many years ago, 1/2 acre to acre lots were totally common for houses. We really don't have many of those in Oregon. The words "being crammed together" are commonly used to describe Oregon cities by folks from the midwest and other areas with sprawl.

Our urban growth boundaries are part of our culture here. I'll take them any day over the sprawl of say, Chicago, but I do understand folks that come from other areas shock at how our homes are here. It's a perspective and expectation thing.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,140 times
I have lived in the Bend area for over 20 years. I settled about 40 miles East in a rural town and really love the area. To the Eat you have the Ochoco National Forest, and Bend has the Deschutes National Forest. Both are incredible forests. The property has dropped there, but I think if you are serious and diligent you will find what you want. A good realtor is Duke Warner in Bend, they know the area. I have 2 sons that live in the area and they love it there. Start now to find what you want...they have LOTS of snow so that may help you be able to buy reasonable if some of the flatlanders want to leave. I hope this helps you

Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM

878 posts, read 1,515,556 times
I know nothing about you, kapetrich, but it sounds like you are speculating, planning on "flipping" the house. Is this accurate? House flipping in a declining market is extremely risky, and foolish unless one has deep, deep pockets. In fact, remodeling is historically a money losing endeavor. You can only expect to get back pennies on the dollar for your work.

If you are not flipping, and actually planning on living in the house, do you already have a job lined up? From what I hear, the Bend job market is absolutely dreadful. Due to this fact, it seems that housing there will be dead for years. Real estate, unlike other assets, is not liquid, and your money might very well be "locked up" for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend